Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lack of ports is understandable, if the choice is no ports or no car.
Lack of communication about the lack of ports to present the "no ports or no car" choice, is not understandable.

Recalls:

P.A. VOICE:
Trans-Stellar Space Lines would like to apologise to passengers for the continuing delay for the departure of this flight.

FORD:
Hey, weird.

P.A. VOICE:
We are currently awaiting the loading of our compliment of small, lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment, and hygiene during the flight, which will be of two hours duration. Meanwhile we thank you for your patience. The cabin crew will shortly be serving coffee and biscuits… again.

FORD:
Zaphod! How long has this ship been standing here?

ZAPHOD:
Man, there’s a departure board right behind us and I’ve been looking at the flight schedules. Man this ship is late, man this ship is very, very late! Man this ship is over nine-hundred years late.

First Post here - I had to move my delivery date in as I was going on vacation next week. I asked customer service if my vehicle will have the missing ports and they confirmed. Looks like they have a note in their system. If I didn't ask, I wouldn't have known. My '22 MYP will arrive Saturday at the house.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
Spoke to my SA today and scheduled Tesla Direct delivery for M3 AWD/LR/DBM-Black/18" aero/No FSD for 11/30. SA checked my VIN and said I'm getting active charging coil and ports. So far, the Illinois Highland Park SC has not yet seen any models without working charging ports, but they expect to at some point probably pretty soon. In anticipation of the inevitable request: I'll make an entry on the tracker after I inspect and take delivery.

• Funny
Reactions: torifile
I am as big a tesla supporter as they come. But if my 3LR shows up without working ports (in my eyes an integral part of my driving experience and daily commute) or another essential piece of the car no ****ing way am I paying for the car. I would rather a reasonable delay of the car until it is ready. However, that is unlikely as they would probably give my car to someone who is unsuspecting and willing to take delivery. Then I am waiting until March and SOL. Tesla has to get better at this. It is going to hurt them in the long run. There are weeks or even months wait for service appointments. Why would I pay for or finance an unfinished product for full price...?
From my experience, the wireless charger is not that great - like many wireless chargers, it's finicky about positioning and charges slowly. it's not as convenient but you can use the 12V outlet or the USB port in the glove box.

in the end it's your choice and you have to do what's right for you, but personally, I'd rather have the car and deal with the minor inconvenience of a charging cable for few months.

Has anyone received a car without USB ports? I’ve read a few articles that some cars are being delivered without them. I’m scheduled to pick mine up 11/22 and would be pretty annoyed if it’s missing a basic thing like USB ports. Scares me they may be cutting corners on other things.
Just checked my new M3…. Sure enough there are no USB ports. I would think this would have been the responsibility of the service center to tell the customer about the missing ports. Love my Tesla but they are not known for their customer service.

When the car is built at the factory, automation or semi-automation is used with quality, repeatability, and traceability a top priority.

Some (not all!) service centers use monkeys.

Just saying. (there is a thread of the model 3 being fixed with photos, and the monkeys hands will be busy).

83EDF60D-AEAE-401C-89AD-E7C9CEB7EA54.jpeg

Talked to my SA today to work through my 3rd party financing details. I asked him about USB ports on my vehicle and he expect they'll be there as the build date was prior to the USB announcement. I'm hopeful but we'll see. EDD is next weekend.