Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobil Service question: [why dont they check for parts before day of appointment?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RSpanner

Sep 3, 2021
Oregon
Just wondering Why, on the day of the appointment, I get a text saying they do not have the parts> my appointment was moved to a later date 2 times already. In a normal company I think the parts issue would be worked out at least a few days ahead of the schedule?( I suppose this will be moved to snippiness )

Just wondering Why, on the day of the appointment, I get a text saying they do not have the parts> my appointment was moved to a later date 2 times already. In a normal company I think the parts issue would be worked out at least a few days ahead of the schedule?( I suppose this will be moved to snippiness )

I dont think this is a snippy post, its just a complaint about process. I did think the thread title was not descriptive enough however, as I am very much against anything that resembles "click here to see more" so I added some more description about what your thread was about.

I just wonder how the parts to Mobil service technician is set up. Is there a rotating inventory from one major parts center or just how does the part to technicians system work..just curious and not really upset. Saying this because Tesla is a different kind of company..I would think.

When I had a mobile service appointment I had the appointment moved twice, first time was the day before the appointment and the second time was 2 days before the appointment. Might be a function of the service center they are dispatched from, because there are good service centers and there are bad ones.

Since I get the work done while I am at work and it wasn't an urgent issue I wasn't too concerned.

Hard to compare with other ICE cars I have had over the years since I never could get mobile service appointment with them.

I don't know how mobile service dispatch works (maybe they have their own parts supply?), but for regular service at SCs, they always have a parts list first (also will inform you by email of parts status). If the part has not come in on time before your service, usually they will reschedule you when the time approaches for your service. If I recall correctly, it was a few days before. I don't remember it being on same day.

Reactions: RSpanner
Is that like when you schedule a from brake job on your wife's Mercedes two weeks ahead of time and they call to tell you they need to procure the rotors and keep it overnight? At least we had a loaner so no big deal.

PS. That GLC we had as a loaner was underwhelming. I decent enough vehicle but hasn't earned a Mercedes badge in my opinion.

Second day, two weeks past the first missed appointment, that I have waited all day only to be told near the end of the day that "Parts are not in" by the Tesla Service person.
Now it's three weeks from now...will the Mobil Service person message me at the end of the day then also? saying no parts?

I finally talked to a person in Portland,Or. 100 miles away. I explained the situation and he was very apologetic. He said the Mobil Service should have let me know 24 hours ahead of time, and that the manager is now looking into it. At least something.....

• Informative
Reactions: Rmchrger
Just heard from the Mobil Service person " I have yet to receive part for your vehicle. I do not have the ability to see when or where the parts are"

Then Why schedule an appointment if they do not know where the parts are? Will he/she know 16 days from now?

Hello, customer service? what's that?

It's a typical problem for scheduling. If they don't leave a slot for you in advance, when the part _actually_ arrives you'd have to wait for a free slot.

They should explain that it's tentative and they should of course have better communication to let you know whether they'll make it.

So, in cave man terms...the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing?

Really, this is a big let down. Not so much about the 2 days lost waiting but how the Tesla Mobile service operates.

Last edited:
I finally talked to a person in Portland,Or. 100 miles away. I explained the situation and he was very apologetic. He said the Mobil Service should have let me know 24 hours ahead of time, and that the manager is now looking into it. At least something.....
In my experience, for service at an SC, the SC would contact you ahead of time if the part did not arrive on time and tell you to reschedule (not contact you at the end of the given day). Presumably they should do the same for Mobile Service. Whoever is handling dispatch for your Mobile service dropped the ball.

Also for service at an SC, Tesla emails you the part status, so you can tell if the part has arrived at the SC yet. They might not do the same for Mobile service however.

Last edited:
In my experience, for service at an SC, the SC would contact you ahead of time if the part did not arrive on time and tell you to reschedule (not contact you at the end of the given day). Presumably they should do the same for Mobile Service. Whoever is handling dispatch for your Mobile service dropped the ball.

Also for service at an SC, Tesla emails you the part status, so you can tell if the part has arrived at the SC yet. They might not do the same for Mobile service however.
I would hope that Tesla actually thinks about this type of service and does a better job of communication between all parties in the future.
I may find out in two weeks, the third try.

I would hope that Tesla actually thinks about this type of service and does a better job of communication between all parties in the future.
I may find out in two weeks, the third try.
On the third try, I wouldn't wait for them to contact you. I would ask ahead of time (you can message in the app if you can't reach someone by phone) if the part has arrived and thus avoid having to wait for them.

I see a moderator changed the name of this thread. It was" Mobil Service missed second appointment for service"

NOT why don't they they check parts before day of appointment. They did NOT let me know they were not coming until I wasted another day waiting.

AND it was the second time. Twice.

I see a moderator changed the name of this thread. It was" Mobil Service missed second appointment for service"

NOT why don't they they check parts before day of appointment. They did NOT let me know they were not coming until I wasted another day waiting.

AND it was the second time. Twice.

No, I did not change the name of the thread. I merged your newly created thread into the thread on the same topic (missed service appointments for mobile service) that you created specifically. The same topic, created by the same person (missed mobile service appointments) belonged in the same thread.

Interesting thread here. At least three times I've had mobile service show up without parts that were directly requested. Seems like a big waste of everyone's time but they keep doing it. It's clear the techs aren't given time to check on parts beforehand and I guess dispatch isn't doing it either.

Now with service centers my experience has been the same as @stopcrazypp, they always check for parts first these days and make sure they have everything ready before your appointment, or they'll push it back if needed. Obviously sometimes the car needs to go in first for diagnosis, but these days if they find it needs parts they don't have on hand, and it's driveable, they'll push us to take it back until the parts come in.

I think service centers have to do that, they're way too busy and overloaded and crowded nowadays to take in cars they know they don't have parts for yet. Obviously mobile service doesn't have that same pressure!

These days when my car is undrivable or has a really urgent issue I don't exactly ask permission to drop it off unscheduled anymore, I kind of just warn them I'm on my way... 😆 Especially when it's arriving on a tow truck!

Moderator...you managed to take the sting out of what I was saying...good move. My post wasn't about the parts but about the way the Mobile Service is run..your deflection is understandable. Keep any complaint off the pages, loyalty above all, I get it. You Changed the title and that moved the ball.