Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile access to loaners no longer supported....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Got loaner at the Fremont location yesterday after dropping off my X. The loaner, unlike since April of 2022, did not appear in the app. The first loaner had expired tags so they switched me to another which also did not appear in the app. That one ALSO had expired tags. The 4th loaner, a newer model Y which I have no also does not appear in the app. My SA didn't know why it wasn't working but someone else that works there said, right before I left, that they had discontinued allowing app access to loaners :(

This week at the Dublin, CA service center, they gave me a Model 3 loaner while my MY was in the shop. Included free super charging and app access. Oddly, only one phone could be linked at a time even though both are on the same Tesla account, but switching back and forth was easy enough. Our MY was done by the end of the day, before I could figure out a way to link both phones like we have on the MY.

The repair on our 30 month old MY was for the head liner falling down above the rear seats. The first symptom was a metallic squeak, which is how I reported it on the app, which was a mistake - squeaks are covered only for a couple years or some such. When I went to pick up the car, they had billed $300, but since a $3 interior clip had failed, the service writer credited me the entire repair as a warranty fix for a manufacturing or materials fault, as they should in spite of my carless initial description. Phew. The squeak was just the symptom which led me to the component failure.

So, loaner plus same day repair. Well done. The wait for the appointment was roughly 3 weeks, but for a squeak, not a problem.

This week at the Dublin, CA service center, they gave me a Model 3 loaner while my MY was in the shop. Included free super charging and app access. Oddly, only one phone could be linked at a time even though both are on the same Tesla account, but switching back and forth was easy enough. Our MY was done by the end of the day, before I could figure out a way to link both phones like we have on the MY.

The repair on our 30 month old MY was for the head liner falling down above the rear seats. The first symptom was a metallic squeak, which is how I reported it on the app, which was a mistake - squeaks are covered only for a couple years or some such. When I went to pick up the car, they had billed $300, but since a $3 interior clip had failed, the service writer credited me the entire repair as a warranty fix for a manufacturing or materials fault, as they should in spite of my carless initial description. Phew. The squeak was just the symptom which led me to the component failure.

So, loaner plus same day repair. Well done. The wait for the appointment was roughly 3 weeks, but for a squeak, not a problem.
Hello,

Can you please tell me how to switch or add car to both apps? I received a loaner yesterday and added my phone as a key. My wife is sharing my cars rather than using my account so she has her own profile. The car isn't showing up in her app and I can't share it with her due to permissions.

I'm leaving to Washington in a few hours so if I can add it to her account she'll have a much better experience.

I don't want to remove my access for in case she doesn't get it and needs me to open or start the car.

Hello,

Can you please tell me how to switch or add car to both apps? I received a loaner yesterday and added my phone as a key. My wife is sharing my cars rather than using my account so she has her own profile. The car isn't showing up in her app and I can't share it with her due to permissions.

I'm leaving to Washington in a few hours so if I can add it to her account she'll have a much better experience.

I don't want to remove my access for in case she doesn't get it and needs me to open or start the car.

I don't think you can share loaners to other apps but I do believe they could have added her account to the loaner so it would be in her app. However, they'll want her name and drivers license number to be put on the loaner agreement. The only other option is for her to sign out of her account and sign into yours while or when she needs to use the loaner.

I don't know the details of loaners, but you might want to try setting her phone up as a key. You would need the key card for the car, which they probably gave you, and her phone. In the car's menu, go to Security, Set Up Phone key. Here is the section in the Model Y manual:

I once had a model S from a rental outfit, and phone access was disabled, as were all the autopilot features. But I think the Tesla Service loaner was fully functional.

The phone key and app are among the best Tesla features. Those and SuperChargers.

Good luck!

I don't know the details of loaners, but you might want to try setting her phone up as a key. You would need the key card for the car, which they probably gave you, and her phone. In the car's menu, go to Security, Set Up Phone key. Here is the section in the Model Y manual:

I once had a model S from a rental outfit, and phone access was disabled, as were all the autopilot features. But I think the Tesla Service loaner was fully functional.

The phone key and app are among the best Tesla features. Those and SuperChargers.

Good luck!

Only phones signed into the account that actually has the car can be setup as phone keys. She would have to sign into his account. This is what I've had my wife do when we have loaners since we only have one Tesla.