Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile app while being serviced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS was being serviced at the Seattle center today and remote mobile access was not turned off. I was able to track when the car was being driven back to me which was nice since I was out and was able to get home to meet them. In fact, I was home first and I walked out to see the car arrive.

Hey, kind of another tack on this. Is it even possible for a Model S to be stolen (and stay stolen)? All the way from the way the key fob works to the telemetry. Can this car really be stolen?

Load it on a flatbed, put it inside a metal chop-shop building. Basically the Model S can't be stolen by a casual joyrider. A professional thief with equipment could steal it. However, for quite a while there won't be any market for chop-shop parts. Maybe never as all the service is factory supplied. It's not a concern to me.

Hey, kind of another tack on this. Is it even possible for a Model S to be stolen (and stay stolen)? All the way from the way the key fob works to the telemetry. Can this car really be stolen?

When an owner looses his/her fob or locks it in the trunk there must be a way for a Tesla service center to both gain entry and unlock the car. If there is a means to do this there is always the potential of leaking insider information to professional criminals. That said it is undoubtedly more difficult to steal a Model S. When more are on the road there will be a greater motive to pursue stealing the car and canabalizing it for a black market.

Larry