Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charger - Nema 5-15 @240V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tries using the NEMA 5-15 connected to 240V? Will the wall connector allow that?
I think you have really mixed up your wording or something, because these two questions don't make any sense at all.

The wall connector you mentioned in your second sentence shouldn't ever have a plug of any kind. It's supposed to be hard wired, so forget about the wall connector completely.

As to the first question, if you are talking about the mobile charge cable with 5-15 plugs, yes, that will work fine. People have been doing that for years if they need to adapt to some other kind of outlet that Tesla doesn't make a plug for. It's a good idea to match up the amp level if possible so the car gets the right signal of the amp limit it is allowed to draw from that outlet type, but as to putting 120V or 240V on a plug that was supposedly "meant" for the other, that works fine, and the car happily detects and uses whichever it sees.

Don't ever wire a 5-15 with 240V!!! It's stupid, dangerous, unnecessary, and (in many jurisdictions) illegal. Use a proper 6-15 outlet and adapter for the mobile connector.
I don't think they were considering wiring a 5-15 receptacle with 240V. But rather converting the 5-15 on the mobile connector to something like a 6-20 or 14-50 with a pigtail. This is totally fine, as the EVSE is dual-voltage and can accept either one. Pretty common with the Chevy Volt and Prius Prime crowd, who got a 5-15 EVSE shipped with their car but it also operates at 240V to double the charging speed.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't think they were considering wiring a 5-15 receptacle with 240V.
I hope not, but I just wanted to be clear.

But rather converting the 5-15 on the mobile connector to something like a 6-20 or 14-50 with a pigtail. This is totally fine, as the EVSE is dual-voltage and can accept either one. Pretty common with the Chevy Volt and Prius Prime crowd, who got a 5-15 EVSE shipped with their car but it also operates at 240V to double the charging speed.
Yes, but it's arguably better to get the correct adapter and minimize the number of extraneous connections and eliminate connections without heat sensors. With Gen 2 adapters available for pretty much any outlet you might encounter in the wild (except maybe a 6-30), there's really no need to make pigtails anymore. Unlike the old days when the choices for Gen 1 adapters were more limited.

I hope not, but I just wanted to be clear.

Yes, but it's arguably better to get the correct adapter and minimize the number of extraneous connections and eliminate connections without heat sensors. With Gen 2 adapters available for pretty much any outlet you might encounter in the wild (except maybe a 6-30), there's really no need to make pigtails anymore. Unlike the old days when the choices for Gen 1 adapters were more limited.
Agreed - for a Tesla, just get the correct adapter and call it a day.