Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way I am feeling upset about this decision as much as next guy but I already own Tesla and have a charger so in the end I will be fine. If I didn’t have one I would order Wall charger or one of many 3rd party chargers on the market. Pretty sure this whole mess is about supply chain problems and not just simple money grab.
Then Tesla should ship the mobile chargers when available. Not just decide to not include a critical piece of the car after I've already ordered

I've never taken a poll esp. given that we have LOTS of Teslas at my work and free L2 charging (including numerous Tesla wall connectors).

That said, until the recent development of the mobile connector no longer being included, if a Tesla buyer/lessee asked on Slack at work or asked me directly, I'd also suggest they ignore prodding Tesla had (e.g. Home Charging and Wall Connector), just find out what outlets they have or max amperage circuit they support, then get the correct Gen 2 NEMA Adapters for their existing or future outlet instead of wasting $ on getting a Tesla wall connector installed.

For many US Tesla drivers, I suspect that charging away from home using their mobile connector is pretty rare or nil.

To add to what jcanoe said, to find charging on the road that is non-Tesla, strongly recommend one checks Plugshare (web site and app) and filter by compatible plugs (e.g. both Tesla plugs, J1772 (one SAE J1772 Charging Adapter is included free with the car). If one can charge w/CHAdeMO or CCS via optional adapters, add those too. CHAdeMO Adapter was quietly pulled from the US store months ago w/no explanation that I know of. I wouldn't recommend CCS w/a Tesla at this point (very long story). CCS1 on mature vehicles w/native CCS1 inlets and support is mostly ok (from my personal experience of tons of CCS charging my former '19 Bolt).

Finding NEMA 14-50 or other outlets beyond NEMA 5-15 (you'd need the right adapter, see Gen 2 NEMA Adapters) out in the wild (except for homes, campgrounds or RV parks) can be challenging. It's usually not worth the waste of time. You're better off looking for what I mentioned.

And, yes, all of NEMA connector - Wikipedia are NEMA plugs, not just 14-50.

BTW, when people keep pointing to random (mostly no-name) J1772 EVSEs on Amazon, I do NOT recommend that. The below are a few examples of reasons why:
Charge Port Meltdown,
Another “Which L2 Charger Should I Buy” Thread (ok, ok...

Stick w/a major reputable brand, hopefully UL-listed or equivalent. You are likely better off waiting for a Tesla mobile connector or wall connector to come back in stock than going w/random no-name ones on Amazon.
Nonsense, more FUD regarding EVSE chargers on Amazon. YMMV ;)

Last edited:
Then Tesla should ship the mobile chargers when available. Not just decide to not include a critical piece of the car after I've already ordered
It would be better if they just gave people the option to either take the car without the mobile charger or defer delivery so that they can ship the cars to people who don't need them immediately.
According to eletrek, even if you ordered before the removal of the mobile charger, you’re still not getting it :|

Update 2: According to Tesla’s chat, unless you’ve already delivery, Mobile chargers are now no longer included even though they were at time of purchase.
That's messed up. I am would have been able to charge on my CP Home until I got the WC installed if my vehicle had been delivered without a mobile charger but that's because I have a PHEV. Some people are getting Teslas as their first plug in vehicle and may not have anything to charge with, and I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap J1772 charger because the experience is so much better when using a Tesla charger.

Nonsense, more FUD regarding EVSE chargers on Amazon. YMMV ;)
I see your wink, but just to be clear, we've seen numerous cases of bad J1772 handles on Mustart EVSEs causing melted inlets. The below are a few on forums outside of some EV FB groups I'm on:

I would lump Mustart into the random no-name Chinese EVSEs.

Clipper Creek is no frills but has an awesome rep. ChargePoint, Juicebox, Webasto (Webasto to Acquire AeroVironment Electric Vehicle Charging and Test Systems Business) and Leviton should be ok, as examples. I'm not a fan of Siemens for numerous reasons. Some others like Grizzl-E and Emporia are too new for me to be able say. But for the most part, UL-listed or equivalent should be on the safer side to get.

If I had a Tesla, I would for sure rather wait for their mobile or wall connector to come back in stock than order random no-name EVSE from Amazon.

We've had the infamous GE Wattstation vs. '11 and '12 Leaf probably blowing diodes in the on-board charger finger pointing, which is a long story. At least GE is a huge company and they could coordinate w/Nissan vs. a fly-by-night no-name company that an automaker may not care about bothering with, if problems come up.

Blink EVSEs and some others (e.g. earlier Schneider + some others IIRC) used defective Rema J1772 handles that above 24 amps could melt inlets:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have ordered their 10-30 gen 2 nema plug adapter for use with the factory cord. I assumed I was getting one. It shows 22 mph charge rate. I have a 30 amp breaker. Is there an aftermarket cord that plugs into a model 3 that charges as fast as the one that suppose to come with the car on my 10-30, 30 am system?

I've never taken a poll esp. given that we have LOTS of Teslas at my work and free L2 charging (including numerous Tesla wall connectors).

That said, until the recent development of the mobile connector no longer being included, if a Tesla buyer/lessee asked on Slack at work or asked me directly, I'd also suggest they ignore prodding Tesla had (e.g. Home Charging and Wall Connector), just find out what outlets they have or max amperage circuit they support, then get the correct Gen 2 NEMA Adapters for their existing or future outlet instead of wasting $ on getting a Tesla wall connector installed.

For many US Tesla drivers, I suspect that charging away from home using their mobile connector is pretty rare or nil.

To add to what jcanoe said, to find charging on the road that is non-Tesla, strongly recommend one checks Plugshare (web site and app) and filter by compatible plugs (e.g. both Tesla plugs, J1772 (one SAE J1772 Charging Adapter is included free with the car). If one can charge w/CHAdeMO or CCS via optional adapters, add those too. CHAdeMO Adapter was quietly pulled from the US store months ago w/no explanation that I know of. I wouldn't recommend CCS w/a Tesla at this point (very long story). CCS1 on mature vehicles w/native CCS1 inlets and support is mostly ok (from my personal experience of tons of CCS charging my former '19 Bolt).

Finding NEMA 14-50 or other outlets beyond NEMA 5-15 (you'd need the right adapter, see Gen 2 NEMA Adapters) out in the wild (except for homes, campgrounds or RV parks) can be challenging. It's usually not worth the waste of time. You're better off looking for what I mentioned.

And, yes, all of NEMA connector - Wikipedia are NEMA plugs, not just 14-50.

BTW, when people keep pointing to random (mostly no-name) J1772 EVSEs on Amazon, I do NOT recommend that. The below are a few examples of reasons why:
Charge Port Meltdown,
Another “Which L2 Charger Should I Buy” Thread (ok, ok...

Stick w/a major reputable brand, hopefully UL-listed or equivalent. You are likely better off waiting for a Tesla mobile connector or wall connector to come back in stock than going w/random no-name ones on Amazon.
I have 5 neighbor families, total 7 Tesla cars, all of them use mobile connector. your suspect is 100% wrong.

I have 5 neighbor families, total 7 Tesla cars, all of them use mobile connector. your suspect is 100% wrong.
And, do they do a lot of charging using their mobile connector away from home?

I've been driving pure BEVs since end of July 2013. The only time I've ever charged my BEV w/my EV's L1 120 volt EVSE (that's all they come with) at someone's home was to once test their outlet because they were thinking of getting a Chevy Volt.

The other times I've used my L1 120 volt EVSE away from home were ages ago when work had limited L2 J1772 handles so I'd just use the 120 volt NEMA 5-15 outlets as a courtesy to stay out of the way (and it was enough to replenish my round trip commute) or in the past, some free 120 volt outlets (now gone) near some formerly free L2 public charging while waiting in line. That all ended many years ago for me, as there's no longer a need for that and the latter outlets are gone.

I don't disagree that there's a subset of US Tesla drivers who use their mobile connector to charge at home a lot or is their primary means of charging (note I told people to do so instead of wasting $ installing a Tesla wall connector), but they likely do it at 240 volts, not 120 volts (so not NEMA 5-15 nor 5-20).

I don't know how large that subset is... I doubt it's 50% or higher but I doubt it's lower than 10%.

There are a ton of analogies to Apple removing the headphone jack (and headphones) and the charger from iPhones. Apple made up a bunch of BS about 'no one using corded headphones anymore' and 'the 3.5mm jack is old and obsolete.' In reality, these were just excuses they made up to justify removing them. The same goes with Tesla - they want to remove the mobile connector so they come up with a story that 'no one uses the mobile connector anyway' as an excuse to justify what they want to do.

If there's a supply shortage, fine. Come out and say it and ship them when they can get the parts. They could also give people a credit in the Tesla shop towards a wall connector or something else. Simply removing it outright is little more than a money grab.
I don’t think the apple analogy holds. First apple was an extremely mature brand. Many people were on like there 3rd or 4th iPhone. I had charging blocks all over the house (and every single 3rd party one works just as well, that cost 5 bucks). Years later I still haven’t had to buy one. Yes it saved them some margin. As for headphone jack I think they didn’t like it for the aesthetics of the phone.

I completely agree that they want to remove it, I think just like lumber support and radar they don’t want to admit they are having supply chain issues so came up with BS about no one using them. And what’s dumb is unlike those 2 examples they could just admit they can’t get them, tell everyone sorry and ship them in a month or 2. Sure some people might have a problem charging until it arrived but the community would understand.