Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon stops providing mobile connector/says “you're on your own”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New orders. Seems to be a lot of confusion on this, maybe that's why the MC in the store are reporting all sold out.
Do we actually know this for sure?
This is the problem, terrible, terrible, communication from Musk and from Musk directly, whom it should never be coming from directly in the first place.

If Tesla simply said, we are no longer providing the UMC with new car orders as of today -- that would have simply been seen as just another price increase, to which people are now used to and are not surprised. But that's not what Musk said, thus unimaginably getting people with existing orders who fully understood and relied upon Tesla.com that they were buying the car and that the UMC was included with that purchase to think that somehow they were now a victim of a bait and switch or false advertising.

Read your order agreement or Purchase Order which includes this statement: "Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle." You may not have agreed to half a steering wheel, loss of passenger lumbar support feature, different headlights, tail lights and rear trim, etc. You can always cancel your order. Stuff happens. Tesla didn't even tell people they didn't have the rear storage cover and missing USB plugs on delivery. This is a known problem with Tesla communications. Wait until you need service or support. It is either missing or very minimal in most circumstances.

Read your order agreement or Purchase Order which includes this statement: "Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle." You may not have agreed to half a steering wheel, loss of passenger lumbar support feature, different headlights, tail lights and rear trim, etc. You can always cancel your order. Stuff happens. Tesla didn't even tell people they didn't have the rear storage cover and missing USB plugs on delivery. This is a known problem with Tesla communications. Wait until you need service or support. It is either missing or very minimal in most circumstances.
I resisted the urge to say this, but I am an attorney. I can parse the difference between "Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order..." with what the website advertised, a completely separate charging cable, as opposed to parts that are part of the car itself. Of course if one part is replaced for another due to any number of issues, that's one thing, this is different.

I resisted the urge to say this, but I am an attorney. I can parse the difference between "Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order..." with what the website advertised, a completely separate charging cable, as opposed to parts that are part of the car itself. Of course if one part is replaced for another due to any number of issues, that's one thing, this is different.
Tesla generally has no list of included (standard) or optional equipment, which is why I posted one after my purchase in 2020. Please show me where it says the mobile charger is included. When I got my car they had changed the adapter that came with the mobile charger from a 14-50 to a J 1772 adapter. Tesla will advise, you can always cancel your order.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
It was available this afternoon when I made my post. I checked. It used to be over $500.
It was $275 last year and it was $275 on 4/15 according to this.

Tesla generally has no list of included (standard) or optional equipment, which is why I posted one after my purchase in 2020. Please show me where it says the mobile charger is included. When I got my car they had changed the adapter that came with the mobile charger from a 14-50 to a J 1772 adapter. Tesla will advise, you can always cancel your order.
Tesla's website clearly advertised this as something that came with your vehicle:

They said the same thing about the passenger side lumbar controls. "No one was using it". So many defended them when they did it. Some of us installed them ourselves but two firmware updates ago, they brick the controls of the DIY-ers. Again this was defended by many. Now they have come for the mobile chargers since they know people will accept that too. I'm waiting to see what else they take away because, "no one was using it based on our data." Maybe the rear seats or the frunk. ;)

I have two mobile connectors. I keep one in my sub-trunk for travel to friends/relatives' homes where I can plug in, and I use the other mounted on my garage wall next to the 14-50 I installed.

This move could possibly be forgiven if EVSEs were as popular as USB ports, or if the car were very entry level, but it just screams cheap on a luxury class vehicle.

Ford, on the other hand, is providing Lightning buyers with a mobile connector, 80A wall-mounted connector, and components for V2H integration as part of the purchase price. Of course you're paying for these things, but they know the majority of their customers will need them.

It seems like Tesla is actively trying to destroy the goodwill they have built up over the past decade+ in an attempt to reduce demand in their vehicles. If so, they're doing a great job.
Totally agree with you 👍 Shame on Tesla