Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon stops providing mobile connector/says “you're on your own”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that Elon or Tesla care, but they could have been hero's had they simply said something like "Save $xxx on your new Tesla by opting out of the mobile connector"
The problem Tesla has is echo chamber mania combined with (based on reports), leadership afraid to challenge Elon on ANYTHING, for fear of being fired on the spot.
My guess? Someone thought what you thought, but due to lack of support of thought diversity at Tesla? They were too scared to mention it or they did mention it, and got fired by Elon.

That's interesting. Even though Teslas are the majority today I guess it makes sense to subsidize only standards-based chargers. Part of the problem with proprietary solutions I suppose.
My power company says the rebates are to help them understand and path power grid updates. They need data from the charger to support that and Tesla doesn’t provide the info.

Not that Elon or Tesla care, but they could have been hero's had they simply said something like "Save $xxx on your new Tesla by opting out of the mobile connector"

That's different psychology than saying "Pay $xxx more for the mobile connector since it's no longer included".

My opinion is that more people will forego the UMC if it feels like "an extra cost" instead of a "rebate".

FYI, I'm too lazy to read all 6 pages to this point.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I just ordered a ChargePoint 14-50 charger. It has selectable amperage, all the way up to 50amps. It's $699 at the ChargePoint site. On Amazon, people scooped it up and it's now being offered for over $1,000.
I figured for $699, plus the $250 credit I get on my electric bill, $500 seemed fair for a wall charger.

Reactions: FlatSix911
FYI, I'm too lazy to read all 6 pages to this point.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I just ordered a ChargePoint 14-50 charger. It has selectable amperage, all the way up to 50amps. It's $699 at the ChargePoint site. On Amazon, people scooped it up and it's now being offered for over $1,000.
I figured for $699, plus the $250 credit I get on my electric bill, $500 seemed fair for a wall charger.
I'm happy with mine I like the app as well since I can see long term trends and even drill in to a charging session to see any issues. Not that I've had any.
I did a 6-50 which I removed the cable and had hardwired.

Reactions: T-J-
More data showing the claim of super low use is bullshit:

So the conclusion is either:

All observable data here at TMC and other third party sources are bunk because those sources are somehow so exceptionally special that they are fundamentally different than the overall pool

Or

Elon is full of it.

I’ve got a pretty good idea where I land on this argument.
Finally some reasonable actual data. Thank you for posting.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Finally some reasonable actual data. Thank you for posting.
So lets round that up to 50% of people use them that's still 1million chargers of the Tesla's sold that don't use their chargers at least once. The numbers I saw was 60% use their chargers so that's only around 800k chargers sitting around not being used. That's not wasteful at all.

Also, it lists charging sessions, not chargers or owners or cars using the UMC. I imagine UMCs charging at 120v will have a higher number of sessions. This would have the effect of conflating the number... so 61% of charging sessions is likely less than 50% of Tesla's being charged using a UMC.

It's a big number for sure. Hundreds of thousands of UMCs sent home with cars go unused.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Also, it lists charging sessions, not chargers or owners or cars using the UMC. I imagine UMCs charging at 120v will have a higher number of sessions. This would have the effect of conflating the number... so 61% of charging sessions is likely less than 50% of Tesla's being charged using a UMC.

It's a big number for sure. Hundreds of thousands of UMCs sent home with cars go unused.
I would have definitely bought one with my first Tesla even though I will never use it. Going forward if my wife buys a Tesla or if I buy another in the future I don't see any need for another one. The supply chain is hammered right now. It is so hard for me to get servers right now or even replacement parts.
We're months out waiting for projects so I get it. If this helps someone get their car faster I have no problem with it.

Reactions: father_of_6
I would have definitely bought one with my first Tesla even though I will never use it. Going forward if my wife buys a Tesla or if I buy another in the future I don't see any need for another one. The supply chain is hammered right now. It is so hard for me to get servers right now or even replacement parts.
We're months out waiting for projects so I get it. If this helps someone get their car faster I have no problem with it.
Same here. I felt good about getting a HPWC and keeping the mobile connector in the trunk. In hindsight, don't need it at all and won't care if my next car doesn't have one.

For new owners, it's time for Plan B. ;)

... and there's always Plan C.

Perhaps, it’s the straw that broke the camel’s back. It just rubbed me the wrong way, and it feels like Tesla is getting too greedy.
I think it's more of a supply chain issue. Instead of making promises or dealing with the logistics issues would be more problematic with bigger headlines.
How may vehicles were shipped without working USB ports?

Reactions: FlatSix911
That's different psychology than saying "Pay $xxx more for the mobile connector since it's no longer included".

My opinion is that more people will forego the UMC if it feels like "an extra cost" instead of a "rebate".

Of course, just some mind games :)

Years back when I lived in a small New England town, the local electric utility had a 15% 'penalty' for 'late' payment but they actually decided they got more people to pay faster when they had a '15% discount' for paying 'early'

Elon doesn't give 2 hoots about how he/Tesla comes across.

... and there's always Plan C.

I think it's more of a supply chain issue. Instead of making promises or dealing with the logistics issues would be more problematic with bigger headlines.
How may vehicles were shipped without working USB ports?

Of course it's a supply chain issue, whether or not they currently have a problem. If it's not considered essential, it's another thing they can ship the vehicle without when the end-of-quarter rush comes.