Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh.

Worse with other companies, though, as that's a potential gouge on a dealer upsell.
Tesla, to its credit, doesn't charge a lot for its connector.

To be fair, I've never used my Kona's portable charger. But it was used by a body shop that was fixing my Kona.

I consider portable chargers a useful backup in case of equipment failure.

A related question is whether Tesla still provides the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter with every new Tesla vehicle? The J1772 adapter currently costs $50 from the Tesla online store if you lose it or want a second adapter to keep in the vehicle. I use the J1772 adapter every time I charge. The Mobile Connector kit is stored at home. I can see taking the Mobile Connector kit on trips where I may be able to charge at someone's home or when camping (I don't camp.)

I would certainly like to know this and if I now have to fork out another $500 for a wall charger. Ugh

It's not only $500. I literally paid an extra $900 on top of the price of the wall connector to get the charger installed in my house. The installation can add up real quick. It'll cost you even more if you only have a 100 amp service or your panel needs an upgrade.

It's not only $500. I literally paid an extra $900 on top of the price of the wall connector to get the charger installed in my house. The installation can add up real quick. It'll cost you even more if you only have a 100 amp service or your panel needs an upgrade.
Yep cost me $550 for the wall charger because I bought when they were charging more and then $850 for install.

This to me is different than the passenger lumbar support. I don’t know if they ever advertised on the website that passenger lumbar support was included. They 100% told me I would get a mobile charger kit included with my purchase. The fact that it took them 9 months to get me a car shouldn’t let them take away items that were included when I purchased.

Until now, all Teslas shipped with a mobile charger which you could use to charge your car. This allowed you to charge from a 110v outlet and you could buy various 220v adaptors for it to charge faster.

Once this comes into effect, you will have to buy the mobile charger or a wall charger to charge your Tesla at home.

Sorry this is just a cheap-ass move by Tesla. (I also note that the mobile connector is currently out of stock.) A large number of people just use the mobile connector for charging at home - this makes it so you have no way of charging your Tesla as it comes from the factory.

Another consideration is the fact that in many areas there is a shortage of electricians. It took me a month to even get someone out to give an estimate. For the first 2 months of ownership the mobile connector was my only means of charging.

A related question is whether Tesla still provides the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter with every new Tesla vehicle? The J1772 adapter currently costs $50 from the Tesla online store if you lose it or want a second adapter to keep in the vehicle. I use the J1772 adapter every time I charge. The Mobile Connector kit is stored at home. I can see taking the Mobile Connector kit on trips where I may be able to charge at someone's home or when camping (I don't camp.)

It was previously $100. I agree it will be interesting to see if they stop including this as well. I'm also very curious what's going on with the CCS adapter for North America.

Seems like they should include it but it looks like it’s not free anymore…
Complete nonsense from Elon... sounds just like Apple. :(

CEO Elon Musk said that Tesla believes that the usage amongst owners was too low to justify supplying the cable with every new car delivery:
“Usage statistics were super low, so seemed wasteful. On the (minor) plus side, we will be including more plug adapters with the mobile connector kit.”
The move is reminiscent of Apple’s decision to stop supplying USB charging bricks with new iPhones a few years ago and the company also cited wastefulness at the time. However, the similarities stopped there. Apple could rely on the fact that most customers already had several USB/Lightning bricks, but that’s much less likely to be the case for Tesla buyers, especially those new to EVs.

Also, even if most users don’t use the mobile cables often, it might be extremely useful to keep them in the car for a worst-case scenario or early in the ownership experience before you can get a home charging station installed. Compounding the concern is that both of Tesla’s mobile connectors are listed as “out of stock” on its website."

The time is rapidly approaching when Musk will have to worry about the competition. Nothing will change until then. Musk will be Musk, unfortunately. Oh, and for all of you whining about the cost of installing your wall charger....I have a Garden Condo with an attached garage on the front lower level. My panel is in the laundry room on the upper floor, in back. My neighbors unit is over my garage. My install cost was $2600.

Also, even if most users don’t use the mobile cables often, it might be extremely useful to keep them in the car for a worst-case scenario or early in the ownership experience before you can get a home charging station installed. Compounding the concern is that both of Tesla’s mobile connectors are listed as “out of stock” on its website."
Most do use the mobile connector.