Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um...it would take me less than 30 minutes to remove the WC and cap the wires. It's pretty portable. Not as portable as the UMC, but way more portable than something like a garage door opener or central air conditioning unit. It's certainly something I wouldn't want to be mounting and umounting even every 2-3 months but if you only move once every 2 years, it's worth using.
You're going to carry it in your car then plug it into what where?

Based on the few articles I have seen sounds like there is a good chance they will stop including the mobile connector with all Teslas in the next few days-weeks which would include existing orders and if that is the case that is a really bad move. I know several tesla owners and every single one of them rely on this connector for daily charging at home as the tesla charger is more expensive with no real benefit and it is not mobile which is huge deal when you are far away from any public charging. So I don't believe one bit the statement that most customers don't use it. At the very least Tesla still needs to include this charger for existing orders as this essentially means extra $400 for already placed orders. Future orders as long as they are upfront with this I can understand even though I really believe this will make the first ev experience a lot more frustrating for many people. If they do have a shortage of them then they should be upfront about it and discount existing orders and deliver those chargers at later date.
Will be New buyers not those already in cue.

Um...it would take me less than 30 minutes to remove the WC and cap the wires. It's pretty portable. Not as portable as the UMC, but way more portable than something like a garage door opener or central air conditioning unit. It's certainly something I wouldn't want to be mounting and umounting even every 2-3 months but if you only move once every 2 years, it's worth using.

How do you set the proper TORQUE settings when reconnecting the wires?

Not including any charging cord is insane. Horrific move. Imagine a buyer forgetting to purchase the "optional" mobile charger? You get the car and now cannot charge it? The mobile charger should be part of the car so owners can at least charge with a regular 110v wall outlet. I use the mobile charger at my weekend homes. It's very helpful. Not going to install a $1000 outlet at weekend homes. Also, the mobile charger comes in handy in an emergency.

Removing that cord is utterly ridiculous.

You're going to carry it in your car then plug it into what where?
Well for that use case (charging on the go), you're going to want the UMC. For charging at home, you want the WC.
He must be an electrician. I don’t want to touch any 240v wires, even they are off. Buzzzzzz 😵‍💫☠️
I am definitely NOT an electrician.
How do you set the proper TORQUE settings when reconnecting the wires?
There are these things called torque wrenches.

Reactions: weathergeekdan
Sorry but this is the another step in the wrong direction. You see tech companies do this as they 'mature'. Generally they bet the damage to their image/brand is sustainable. To me this is a sign they're focusing on minutiae and out of big ideas.

I may still take delivery of my MYLR but will be watching the other options closely as they come available.

Most annoyingly i bought the 14-50 adaptor WITH the wall connector so that i’d be ready for most charging situations. Now they will make me buy a set WITH a bunch of adapters?

Last edited:
I spoke to customer service today and they had no idea what the deal really is. The acknowledged that their boss was tweeting about no longer including the mobile charger but couldn't tell me if it would apply to existing orders or even if it was really going to happen. They're just chasing his social media posts. What a way to run a company. The guy needs help.

I spoke to customer service today and they had no idea what the deal really is. The acknowledged that their boss was tweeting about no longer including the mobile charger but couldn't tell me if it would apply to existing orders or even if it was really going to happen. They're just chasing his social media posts. What a way to run a company. The guy needs help.
Pretty sure he knows a lot more than you do as well as how to run his business.

Except it's out of stock and has been for a while.

And on the subject of usage - everyone that I know that has a Tesla uses the mobile connector to charge with at home, myself included. I'm not sure how Tesla can get data on which connector is being used - but it's pretty crappy that they continue to raise prices AND eliminate items*, especially something as important as this....
I've never taken a poll esp. given that we have LOTS of Teslas at my work and free L2 charging (including numerous Tesla wall connectors).

That said, until the recent development of the mobile connector no longer being included, if a Tesla buyer/lessee asked on Slack at work or asked me directly, I'd also suggest they ignore prodding Tesla had (e.g. Home Charging and Wall Connector), just find out what outlets they have or max amperage circuit they support, then get the correct Gen 2 NEMA Adapters for their existing or future outlet instead of wasting $ on getting a Tesla wall connector installed.

For many US Tesla drivers, I suspect that charging away from home using their mobile connector is pretty rare or nil.

To add to what jcanoe said, to find charging on the road that is non-Tesla, strongly recommend one checks Plugshare (web site and app) and filter by compatible plugs (e.g. both Tesla plugs, J1772 (one SAE J1772 Charging Adapter is included free with the car). If one can charge w/CHAdeMO or CCS via optional adapters, add those too. CHAdeMO Adapter was quietly pulled from the US store months ago w/no explanation that I know of. I wouldn't recommend CCS w/a Tesla at this point (very long story). CCS1 on mature vehicles w/native CCS1 inlets and support is mostly ok (from my personal experience of tons of CCS charging my former '19 Bolt).

Finding NEMA 14-50 or other outlets beyond NEMA 5-15 (you'd need the right adapter, see Gen 2 NEMA Adapters) out in the wild (except for homes, campgrounds or RV parks) can be challenging. It's usually not worth the waste of time. You're better off looking for what I mentioned.

And, yes, all of NEMA connector - Wikipedia are NEMA plugs, not just 14-50.

BTW, when people keep pointing to random (mostly no-name) J1772 EVSEs on Amazon, I do NOT recommend that. The below are a few examples of reasons why:
Charge Port Meltdown,
Another “Which L2 Charger Should I Buy” Thread (ok, ok...

Stick w/a major reputable brand, hopefully UL-listed or equivalent. You are likely better off waiting for a Tesla mobile connector or wall connector to come back in stock than going w/random no-name ones on Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tha_Ape