Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if all new Teslas come with 110 volt (NEMA 5-15) connector, what do you get for this $200? I use the gen 1 level 2 mobile connector that came with my Model 3 to charge in my garage on the 240v (dryer outlet) I had installed just for this purpose. It looks like Tesla currently sells that same connector (NEMA 14-50 240v) on one end and Tesla plug on the other) for $400.00. Is there a gen 2 level 2 connector kit that accomplishes the same thing? If so, what is it and what does it cost? Or do we have to buy the gen 1 level 2 mobile connector because that capability is what we all want. I know Elon wants us all to buy the wall charger but there is so little difference in the charging speed it doesn’t seem necessary and it isn’t portable. I’m clearly keeping this connector cable when I sell my Model when the November ordered Model Y gets here.
I saw that, too. The Tesla site gives no real information on how they're different and no model numbers; they look the same except one has a NEMA 14-50 plug and the other has a NEMA 5-15 (i.e. a 'normal' 15A 120V) plug. Since the 14-50 adapter is only $45 the price difference doesn't make sense. I can think of two possibilities - one is that the $400 looks the same but is actually a beefed-up version that can actually handle 40A rather than the 32A limit that the cheaper version has. The other is that it is the same device that just comes with a different adapter and they failed to update the price on it when they updated the price on the other.

Edit: @jcanoe confirmed in his/her post that it's actually a 40A unit.

Last edited:
I saw that, too. The Tesla site gives no real information on how they're different and no model numbers; they look the same except one has a NEMA 14-50 plug and the other has a NEMA 5-15 (i.e. a 'normal' 15A 120V) plug. Since the 14-50 adapter is only $45 the price difference doesn't make sense. I can think of two possibilities - one is that the $400 looks the same but is actually a beefed-up version that can actually handle 40A rather than the 32A limit that the cheaper version has. The other is that it is the same device that just comes with a different adapter and they failed to update the price on it when they updated the price on the other.
Or instead of guessing read specs on the site and know for sure. 🙄

Or instead of guessing read specs on the site and know for sure. 🙄
Or you could actually read my post where I said there were no specs and no model numbers to actually check. :rolleyes:
here's the totality of information on both of them. I also looked for the owner's manual and only found one that make a comment about the 14-50 plug "If equipped" and gave the maximum current as 32A.
1650315127454.png
1650315151099.png

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and WhiteWi
Or you could actually read my post where I said there were no specs and no model numbers to actually check. :rolleyes:
here's the totality of information on both of them. I also looked for the owner's manual and only found one that make a comment about the 14-50 plug "If equipped" and gave the maximum current as 32A.
View attachment 795099View attachment 795101
EB381123-9630-4A92-BC0D-C4504FB0BD70.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
So don't worry about it and deal with it when it's clear.
well, maybe some people actually need to plan ahead to make sure they can charge their electric car when they get it home? Since it can take weeks to months to schedule an electrician to install a wall charger and/or wire a circuit, the mobile connectors are currently unavailable and the wall chargers have been intermittently unavailable and even when they are it takes at least a week to get them. if they don't find out until they show up to get their car and find out they can't charge it they're kind of in a bit of a pickle.
Elon making sudden rash decisions and informing the world via Twitter before actually letting his people put a plan in place and making them scramble reminds me of a former one-term president, also a megalomaniac.
This is the problem - the only communication people get is a single tweet causing all sorts of confusion. Given the response from others in the company he clearly hadn't communicated this down the chain before publicizing it.

Again, only negativity coming from you about Elon. Don’t be so envy. Being Elon is not an easy task.
Maybe not, but he's free to step down and let someone else run the company, too. Or hire a PR department to more effectively handle communications. Not sure why you feel so compelled to defend him. How is tweeting something like this with no advance communication or further information helpful? The repeated confusion caused by his tweets only damages Tesla's reputation, erodes confidence and causes dissatisfaction among current and future owners. None of that is good for Tesla. Better communication would really go a long way towards reducing confusion as well as improving Tesla's reputation

Thank you. Out of curiosity, how did you find it? This is the only one that I found when I searched (both via Tesla's support page and from a web search) https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf.

It would be very helpful if Tesla actually included product model numbers and/or links to the manuals on the product page. (or actually clearly said that the $400 version is 14-50 only and capable of 40A)

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thank you. Out of curiosity, how did you find it? This is the only one that I found when I searched (both via Tesla's support page and from a web search) https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf.

It would be very helpful if Tesla actually included product model numbers and/or links to the manuals on the product page. (or actually clearly said that the $400 version is 14-50 only and capable of 40A)
Google is your friend ;)

well, maybe some people actually need to plan ahead to make sure they can charge their electric car when they get it home? Since it can take weeks to months to schedule an electrician to install a wall charger and/or wire a circuit, the mobile connectors are currently unavailable and the wall chargers have been intermittently unavailable and even when they are it takes at least a week to get them. if they don't find out until they show up to get their car and find out they can't charge it they're kind of in a bit of a pickle.

This is the problem - the only communication people get is a single tweet causing all sorts of confusion. Given the response from others in the company he clearly hadn't communicated this down the chain before publicizing it.

Maybe not, but he's free to step down and let someone else run the company, too. Or hire a PR department to more effectively handle communications. Not sure why you feel so compelled to defend him. How is tweeting something like this with no advance communication or further information helpful? The repeated confusion caused by his tweets only damages Tesla's reputation, erodes confidence and causes dissatisfaction among current and future owners. None of that is good for Tesla. Better communication would really go a long way towards reducing confusion as well as improving Tesla's reputation
wow, WhiteWi, laughing at that? These posts are customer experiences in real time. People who have paid good money to get their spot in line, and have been waiting for their vehicles. Whether you agree with them or their experiences is not really relevant. They are customer experiences. It is just not a good idea to do business this way. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but given your participation here on this thread, maybe you ARE Elon's communication department. Hmm.

wow, WhiteWi, laughing at that? These posts are customer experiences in real time. People who have paid good money to get their spot in line, and have been waiting for their vehicles. Whether you agree with them or their experiences is not really relevant. They are customer experiences. It is just not a good idea to do business this way. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but given your participation here on this thread, maybe you ARE Elon's communication department. Hmm.
I am laughing at people thinking they can tell Elon how to run his company.

Since I live 2 miles away from Tesla center, I drove in to purchase the mobile connector and 14-50 adapter since I had 14-50 installed in 2018 when I got Model 3 (now sold). My MYLR EDD is 04/27 - 05/14 and I asked if I need to purchase mobile connector and adapter. They sold me 14-50 adapter and assured all orders prior to 4/17 will come with charging bundle and there was no need to purchase the mobile connector. Not sure if I believe them completely but he sounded very positive. Walked away with 14-50 adapter.

Elon really should have said that I'm removing the chargers so that I can get your orders filled faster due to the supply chain issues. People would be cheering.
Since I live 2 miles away from Tesla center, I drove in to purchase the mobile connector and 14-50 adapter since I had 14-50 installed in 2018 when I got Model 3 (now sold). My MYLR EDD is 04/27 - 05/14 and I asked if I need to purchase mobile connector and adapter. They sold me 14-50 adapter and assured all orders prior to 4/17 will come with charging bundle and there was no need to purchase the mobile connector. Not sure if I believe them completely but he was positive. Walked away with 14-50 adapter.
I feel bad for them with the flood of youtubers panicking the masses and the forums I'm sure that they're getting hammered.