Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile service experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I was wondering what other people’s mobile service experiences has been. I live in the southwest, have a 2016 p90x, and am around 400 miles from the nearest service center and thus rely on tesla’s Mobile service. I have to unfortunately say i’ve had pretty terrible experiences that i’m not sure are the norm or not. I’ve had relatively minor problems (door latch, battery question, key fob issue). I haven’t had any complaints with the technician work done on the car per se but the communication from tesla is absolutely horrible.

It takes on average 5-7 attempts at communication to get any update related to a service request. This usually begins with an email to the generic mobile service center (with no response) then an attempt to txt a mobile representative (no response) then calling the national 1-888 number (who aren’t able to give me specifics) to then having to call the nearest service center (who usually then are only able to themselves send an email to the same generic mobile service center they serves me). This usually, after a few days, will get some sort of terse update (‘your part has arrived please schedule an appointment’).

I love my car and am overall thankful that a mobile service exists no doubt. And I certainly don’t expect my car to be serviced within 24 hours of an issue developing. But the general inability to get basic updated and responses to service inquiries is profoundly disappointing. Wasn’t sure if this is what others typically experience with mobile service or if there was a better way to approach things.

Experience varies by service center and region. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with mobile service (including scheduling and communication). But Tesla definitely has to improve to make the experience excellent and consistent in all regions.
Yes, I 2nd that. I don't agree with @glide as the comment seems to imply it is terrible across the board. On the two occasions I have needed them to correct relatively minor issues, I made one call and they scheduled a tech to be out within 48 hours. They arrived on time and fixed the issues to my great satisfaction. I do agree there are many areas in the USA where it needs to improve.

Yes, I 2nd that. I don't agree with @glide as the comment seems to imply it is terrible across the board. On the two occasions I have needed them to correct relatively minor issues, I made one call and they scheduled a tech to be out within 48 hours. They arrived on time and fixed the issues to my great satisfaction. I do agree there are many areas in the USA where it needs to improve.

Being worst in the industry and terrible across the board are not the same thing.

I’m sure some have had fine experiences. They are still the worst in the industry.

Been fantastic for me. By far superior compared to ICE dealers. No more leaking oil from filters being over/under tightened resulting in engine with 4,000 kms on it running dry. No more getting stiffed for hundreds of dollars from a GM dealer that went bankrupt and didn't pay my loaner vehicle tab. No more, burnt out Chrysler fog/headlight/tail light only to have them burn out 500 kms later.... No more We wont fix your light any longer due to aftermarket wheels installed on the vehicle.... No more replacing head units with used ones that fail after only a few days... No more... forget it....... the list goes on and on. I hate GM/Chrysler/Nissan/Mercedes and other ice dealers.... Counting down the days Tesla releases a pickup so K can convert the rest of my vehicles over too Electric.

Sometimes small issues become huge issues when you think back at the headaches we once had at ICE dealers

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I also want to use mobile service but I don't see any options to select that service, more like schedule a regular service then someone from Tesla decided!?! I read some people calling, texting or emails... what are those phone numbers or emails for mobile service... please share? I've never used mobile service but currently scheduled a regular service visit with an earliest date of 7 weeks later. Hoping I get picked for mobile service but nothing since scheduling it 3 weeks ago. I'll let you know if I get picked ;)

Mobile service is my preference. I only used them once, but appointment was made in 4-5 days, the guy was on time, and car was fixed (adjusted charge door) in my garage. 30 minutes or less. That is less time than it takes me to drive over and drop off the car. Plus no need to get a ride home, and go back and fetch the car.

FWIW, I arranged it via the website.

I also want to use mobile service but I don't see any options to select that service, more like schedule a regular service then someone from Tesla decided!?! I read some people calling, texting or emails... what are those phone numbers or emails for mobile service... please share? I've never used mobile service but currently scheduled a regular service visit with an earliest date of 7 weeks later. Hoping I get picked for mobile service but nothing since scheduling it 3 weeks ago. I'll let you know if I get picked ;)

According to the website it depends what you want to have done. If they need to do a diagnostic or put the car on the lift for inspection they you need to go to a service center. If you have something minor a single guy can handle out of a van (tire change, minor repair, etc) then Mobile service can perform that.

Reactions: puhiniho
Thx I usually use the app so I don't recall the disclaimers. One of my wheel roller button isn't working anymore... would think mobile could fix this. I guess Elon we trust for Tesla to determine what mobile can do for us. Thx!

According to the website it depends what you want to have done. If they need to do a diagnostic or put the car on the lift for inspection they you need to go to a service center. If you have something minor a single guy can handle out of a van (tire change, minor repair, etc) then Mobile service can perform that.

Thx I usually use the app so I don't recall the disclaimers. One of my wheel roller button isn't working anymore... would think mobile could fix this. I guess Elon we trust for Tesla to determine what mobile can do for us. Thx!

I would guess the mobile service would be able to replace the wheel roller button, as long as it is not permanently attached. The guy pulled out the back panel in my X (covers port and charger) and removed the charge port door, remounted the charge port door, and put it all back in under 30 minutes, in my garage.

My experience with the Portland, OR service center has been excellent. I requested service and offered a photo of the problem. Within minutes they responded via text and advised it could be fixed by mobile service and within a few minutes we had a mutually workable date. The technician called me when he was about 30 minutes out, arrived on time, answered all of my questions and performed the service quickly and efficiently right in my garage.

I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Reactions: posity and jboy210
Yea, and from what I remember, unless the process has changed, you can't just request mobile service if you live close to a service center. I forget what the distance is, but you need to be far away. Maybe that has changed. Not sure.

Yea, and from what I remember, unless the process has changed, you can't just request mobile service if you live close to a service center. I forget what the distance is, but you need to be far away. Maybe that has changed. Not sure.

I live about 5 miles from the Dublin Service Center, so they will definitely come by even if you live close.

It might have to do with how busy the service center is. Dublin is always slammed. Has 2 shifts.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Fyi, I've requested service on my phone app and let them know I have photos and video of my issue. I'm in Seattle and all i get are crickets... not sure who to send images/ video but oh well. Great to hear some SC get back to people in minutes vs months.

My experience with the Portland, OR service center has been excellent. I requested service and offered a photo of the problem. Within minutes they responded via text and advised it could be fixed by mobile service and within a few minutes we had a mutually workable date. The technician called me when he was about 30 minutes out, arrived on time, answered all of my questions and performed the service quickly and efficiently right in my garage.

I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

I think it is more a matter that Tesla is pushing people to use mobile. I live about 2 miles from the Dedham (MA) service center. When I made an appointment for my annual service a couple months ago (just before Tesla announced they were no longer requiring it), the local SC called or texted me (forget which) and said it could be done by mobile technician and would that be OK? So, I agreed. Only problem was the delay mentioned by others in getting any message from mobile service to schedule the service. Once they did connect and schedule the service, all went well. The service ended up being about a month later than it would have been if my original appointment at the SC had been kept. It was just as well, because the mobile service had to be done in my condo parking lot, and the delay gave time for the ice and snow to melt. Still, it was bloody cold the day he came, and I felt bad for the guy, working out there on the pavement, exposed to the wind, for 4 hours. There is no way for me to tell if he did a good job, but he certainly put in the time.

My next service will be soon. A door handle failed, so I put in a request and got an appointment for next week. If they suggest mobile service, I might say no, just because the handle is so annoying and I dread having to wait another 3-4 weeks so so they can use the mobile service. I wish there was a way to know in advance when the mobile service could be scheduled, before I have to agree....

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf