Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model ☰ License Plate Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never been very interested in vanity plates, at least not interested enough to pay the yearly premium on them. However I was looking up some information at the Nevada DMV web site about what is allowed here, and I have decided what I'm going to do.

As an alternative to the standard license plate with screen printed background image, Nevada allows you to get vintage-style solid-color plates - blue with white letters as used from the late 1960s to mid 1980s. You can have your existing standard or personalized plate made this way as a replacement, or get a new personalized plate, or you can have an expired number remade this way. Since I will be getting a blue Model 3 with white interior, I think the blue & white plate should look pretty nice on it, especially since legally I will have to put a plate on the front.

I have no need for a personalized plate, with the yearly extra charge for that, but getting a standard number doesn't cost extra each year after getting it made, so I dug through my garage and old photos and found the first Nevada license plate that we ever got, which went on our 1980 Chevy Impala wagon when we moved here in 1995. I'll have this number remade for the Model 3 in blue & white. The Chevy was my first car, and it was made in the same factory as the Model 3! Before it was Tesla's, and before it was NUMMI for GM & Toyota, the factory was GM's Fremont Assembly plant from 1962-1982. So it seems fitting for the Model 3 (my first new car) to wear the same plate, even if the numbers themselves have no special meaning.

I have never been very interested in vanity plates, at least not interested enough to pay the yearly premium on them..................I have no need for a personalized plate, with the yearly extra charge for that,
In California, vanity plate revenue goes to your choice of pre-selected charities. Our Tesla vanity plates revenue goes to the Childrens Defense Fund. We happily shell out the premium each year!

IMG_4660.JPG

Got my vanity plates a few weeks ago.

Tesla for the win!

• Funny
Reactions: Trips and F_T_K
I don't get why one would put TESLA (any version) on a car that is already branded Tesla.

Just like I don't get why other car makers have the car's name (i.e. FORD) come up on the dash screen every time the car is turned on. If you're driving a Ford, you already know it's a Ford. You don't have to be told twice, 365 days of the year.

I'm not much into license plates that call attention to myself. Better to have a hard to remember number when zipping past a cop.

Reactions: israndy
Unless that cop is driving a Tesla with ludicrous and will have plenty of time to make out your plate when he catches you.

I think to each their own, its another way to personalize your vehicle and stand out. not necessarily for bragging rights or showing off, but just to be different in a sea of cars. Ive has vanity plates on my last three vehicles, helps us find our car in a parking lot if theres many similar cars around, for example, my wife will walk up to almost any white hyundai elantra or even a honda for that matter thinking its ours until i remind her of our vanity plate and white wheels lol.

IMG_4945.JPG IMG_4943.JPG

I reserved ZERO GAS in Nebraska. The plates are currently on my 2001 Saturn SL2 and will be transferred over to my Model 3 when I get it. I am also hoping to take advantage of the new law in Nebraska which allows a car to have only rear plate instead of both as long as it was designed to not have a front plate and you pay an extra $100 per year. Instead of the front plate you get some sort of decal that sticks to windshield on driver side.