Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing is, if they can make a Model-3-sized car for $29k, they could probably make a subcompact equivalent for $22-24k, and that's what many people are holding out for.
Cost to build probably does not shrink by that much with a smaller car (of around the Chevrolet Bolt or Hyundai Kona size). Less material costs a bit less, but the car still needs stuff like lighting, seats, doors, windows, etc. that need to be put together. If they can make the car more efficient, then they can cut battery costs for the same range. But the Bolt and Kona are less efficient than the Model 3 because they are taller to get more interior room in a smaller footprint.

Reactions: Ben W
I think they can cut a bit of cost still: manual seats, simpler HVAC, smaller screen, smaller wheels (16s would also mean cheaper tires), metal roof, smaller battery pack, less powerful drive unit, manual trunk, cheaper lights, shorten the warranty. If they can switch to a US sourced LFP they can also work the POS tax credit into the pricing.

Reactions: Ben W
Cost to build probably does not shrink by that much with a smaller car (of around the Chevrolet Bolt or Hyundai Kona size). Less material costs a bit less, but the car still needs stuff like lighting, seats, doors, windows, etc. that need to be put together. If they can make the car more efficient, then they can cut battery costs for the same range. But the Bolt and Kona are less efficient than the Model 3 because they are taller to get more interior room in a smaller footprint.
No question that different cost components scale differently. The battery would presumably be smaller and have somewhat less range (for the base model), which is a significant cost savings. And the materials and subsystems (e.g. screens, speakers, lights) would be expected to be less premium than they are for the 3/Y (still considered "luxury midsize cars" by many), which in turn are less premium than the S/X. The "Model 2"/Robotaxi platform will also use the "Unboxed" assembly model, which is also expected to cut costs significantly; if a smaller car can be gigacasted in one piece instead of two pieces, that alone would result in a huge savings. All of these considerations put together is what led to my estimate. I do agree that a literal miniaturized Model 3/Y would not have its costs reduced as much as this.

Reactions: drtimhill
I think they can cut a bit of cost still: manual seats, simpler HVAC, smaller screen, smaller wheels (16s would also mean cheaper tires), metal roof, smaller battery pack, less powerful drive unit, manual trunk, cheaper lights, shorten the warranty. If they can switch to a US sourced LFP they can also work the POS tax credit into the pricing.
yeah. good luck with such a barebones version when you are running against the next-Gen Bolt

Elon says his latest plan is to build the less expensive car on the same assembly lines currently producing the 3 and Y. This will not provide the same efficiency of the Unboxed system, but will reduce CapEx and allow him to get them to market quicker. Later, he will bring the Unboxed system to new plants and gain even more efficiency.

This will allow additonal benefits of scale, and he will be able to pump out ever larger volumes and reduce per unit costs.
Only with the unboxed process will the the optimum benefits be realized.

It is believed that the unboxed process will be designed to be assisted by his also developing Optimus Robots. If he can pull this all off (and of course it is not certain) then Tesla can once again make a giant leap forward.

Of course these are only his current plans, and we all know that things often do not work out as hoped.

Hang on...it gonna be quite a ride :)

Seems people are being a bit bullish and trying to read between the lines on the comments made by Tesla.

I’m more skeptical of what is actually happening. It’s not clear that the Model 2 is indeed coming in the near future. They chose their words carefully on the investor call to avoid specifically saying what the plan is.

“New models” could be project Juniper and updates to S and X. Lower prices could just mean lowering prices of these refreshed and existing models. It’s all speculation.

I still highly doubt the Robotaxi is launching any time soon and assume what is shown in August will be completely conceptual. If they don’t set dates, then it’s only an event to spur speculation and nothing more.

No additional word on the new Roadster and where that fits on the roadmap or if it will still have an updated re-reveal in 2024.

Anybody can mockup a ride share app without actually delivering that functionality. Who knows when that will come to fruition.

Until Tesla starts giving more exact dates and details of real products and services, I assume that anything said is a high level idea and is subject to change significantly or be scrapped. I wouldn’t put any money on it with any sort of confidence because there was nothing concrete outside of the new M3P.