Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a more positive note, the new adaptable suspension on the latest Raven S/X are better than any other performance shocks I have experienced. Smooths out the ride and quiets the car. Keeps the nose from rising under rapid acceleration and does not dive under heavy breaking.

They provide a silky smooth ride, plus also great control.
Suspensions can be adjusted for smooth cruise or with a touch on the screen to tighten up for higher performance motoring. They even recently offered a software update to provide better response and control for speeds over 100 mph. Far better system for general use than any of the aftermarket suppliers.

Some day they might become available for the Y and Model 3. Might need to be paired with air suspension, but maybe available as just a shock option.

Hey everyone! First off I would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming amount of positive emails, PM's, posts etc. that we received over the holiday break! We absolutely did not expect this many people to reach out, and we'll do our best to return answers and messages as best we can, and hopefully get back to every question by the end of today. Everyone on our team has been out with family, flying back home, etc. with bad weather but we're here to answer your questions.

I'd also like to thank everyone who's pre-ordered kits over the holiday break. We have 6 sets of the Ohlins DFV's pre-sold, and 3 sets of control arms. Thank you guys for the support, I think you'll find the year of hard work that went into the development, testing, and tuning of our kits shows in the ride quality, adjustability, and featuers.

Last edited:
Ohlins have a tremendous reputation in the high performance applications.

Due to the technology, design, quality and adjustability they tend to offer both increased comfort and feel, while the controlled dampening gives significantly better track and performance results.

While expensive they are worth it to many that value that performance.

Super popular on high dollar performance cars, trucks and motorcycles.

Hope they meet those expectations on our beloved Model 3s.

Definitely second this sentiment. If we felt we could achieve better ride quality, total grip, and adjustability with another shock we would have chosen those to build around. The DFV technology and quality is second to none... compared to other shocks you can actually run a higher spring rate on the Ohlins DFV and have them equally as comfortable as a cheaper shock on a much softer spring rate.

I've had Ohlins on motorcycles that literally transform their performance. I have never been in a car with an Ohlins setup, but I wager it's worth the money. I'm about to embark on an expensive move which is limiting budget right now, but I'm definitely interested in these.

Thanks for the comment, and I would have to say I 100% hands down agree with you as far a motorcycle shocks go, and the same does hold true for the entire Automotive performance line. Fundamentally transforms the car... so much so it's hard to describe on a keyboard, it's more than just a set of suspension. They're honestly THAT good. Our test Model 3's are absolutely amazing to drive now... more comfortable than stock (we just did full road trip to Los Angeles and back to get additional street proving miles on it), a massive amount of additional cornering grip, breaking traction is much more progressive (felt very abrupt previously), and mid-corner high-speed bumps no longer upset the chassis (which was actually pretty scary with the stock suspension TBH).
Oh man i would love to try these out, any chance you guys could bring them to Tesla Corsa at Buttonwillow near end of December :D?

Also what are the spring rates like compared to stock? I'm currently running something about twice as stiff, so it's definitely a little harsh but not really that much.

We'd love to, however I'm not sure we have enough time to make it out to this one since we're running low on time and it's pretty close to Christmas. I'll see if we can make it down... we're more than familiar with Buttonwillow... one of our favorite tracks ;) . We're fortunate to have BW, Laguna, Sonoma, and Thunderhill all within a reasonable drive from the Bay Area! (plus with California weather, it's always track testing season :D )

Reactions: Remonster
I love these in my S2000. It's terrific to see these available for the 3. That said, I'll wait until these are more in line with KW V3s in terms of price.

Extra props for including the tophats.

Quick note, the tophats are not included, they reuse the stock Tesla top hats currently. We have a prototype set of floating top hats in testing however they're really only needed for competitive track applications, so we will have them available as an option but will not be forcing people to buy them bundled if they don't need them. They will add a little NVH.

As far as comparing price to KW's, they're really not comparable in any way shape or form. KW's are *much* cheaper. Steel bodies (heavier), literally plastic lock rings and spring perches, no dual flow valve, no ultra high speed blow off (shock does no go limp if you hit a large bump), no temperature correction valve, and higher hysteresis (less accurate).

Also with the v3 and dual adjustment knobs, its nearly impossible to get dialed in optimally in a short amount of time (without a dedicated team and data acquisition to help set them up). We've found that most independent racers and track day enthusiasts are actually faster with a finely tuned set of DFV's with a single adjustment knob. The same rebound and compression damping settings are being changed, just like a dual adjustable, however we can tie the rebound and compression damping to a single knob... if tuned properly, the driver only needs to worry about front to rear damping ratio. We take the guesswork out of adjusting the shocks by doing that homework for you through testing, and fine-tuning the damping curve.

Dual adjustable shocks are essentially an Etch-a-sketch where you have an X/Y coordinate system and you're trying to hit a single point in X/Y space. The DFV's operate in that same X/Y space but allow adjustment on a pre-defined line of points. What we've found is that most drives with a dual adjustable are so far out in the weeds with their adjustments they're much slower than a finely-tuned single adjustable. Again, you're adjusting the same settings... it's just easier to adjust without lots of data and time to adjust since that optimal line is pre-set based on our testing and optimization. This doesn't need to be done with a dual adjustable as that homework is left to the customer. Obviously, take this comment with a grain of salt, with damper pots and data, we can super-fine-tune and split hairs with a dual adjustable, but the amount of work involved is non-trivial, and this is usually reserved for actual competitive race cars.

How about comparing Ohlins with Redwood Ohlins pricing. Subaru $2400, BMW $3100 so when it comes to Tesla premium is too high for the same product. UPP uses Ohlins and price is within the range. Now why this version is $1000 more? Just trying to understand.

Do you have any trusted installers in SoCal?
Not currently but we should by the time these are shipped.

Vendors and shops, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]

We have a few trusted installers and retailers in Northern California currently, but as this all relatively new and that list will grow quickly around the country in the next month or two. The installation is relatively straightforward however, and we have done our best to make them as user-friendly for install as possible (same with our Front Camber/Caster control arm, and Rear Toe/Camber control arms) to reduce installation time and make alignment easier for the shop, plus a wide range of adjustability.

Do you track or just street driving? The reason I'm asking is how good is this for just street driving use to give you the soft comfort ride but not too soft.

Also how does this compare with UPP/MPP sport or comfort?

I wrote an "Ohlins Manifesto" on Rennlist after having them installed last year... this may provide some insight. Long winded, but a thorough articulation of my impression.

In a nutshell, it's the best street system I've experienced - and I still haven't even had a thorough going-through yet. I dropped it back off at the shop last week for alignment and tires; I wanted to give it some miles so everything could seat before aligning. The snow last week killed deliveries and the tires didn't arrive until yesterday. So I had the car back for about a week after the install and used it as a runner around town and met up with a few friends last Sunday for a drive - and that was the first time I actually got into it a bit for an extended backroad session. Also tinkered a bit with the dampening, but not much (tried 13 Front/13 Rear, 8/8, 9/9 before dropping it back off).

First observation - Not a single creak, thud, weird noise, or any unnatural tendencies. I've had coilovers before that knock around (H&R RSS for example) after install while they make themselves at home on the car (and after that in some cases). The Ohlins plugged in and performed flawlessly from the second they were installed. A good first sign, if you ask me. My tech texted me when he was assembling the dampers to tell me they're the nicest units he's seen. Takeaway: quality, quality, quality. The dampers are so beautiful it's a shame to hide them under the car!

Second observation - At 13/13, the dampening was too soft for me, but it gave me an introduction to the DFV experience. The car literally floats over undulations. It tracks straight and maintains 100% connection to the road, but literally soaks up irregularities - in fact, it gives your more control as you aren't scattered by spotty surfaces. Chickens comes to mind, as weird as that sounds; when the birds keep their heads stationary while their bodies move. In accordance to marketing and testimonials, it's the real deal (unsurprising though... we are dealing with Ohlins here). Even at that soft setting, it's not floaty or undersprung. The firmer settings have tightened and sped everything up, but have not compromised compliance. Takeaway: DFV is legit - it doesn't bang over potholes but still manages to communicate 100% to the driver, so it gives a very noticeable incremental sense of total control. Can't wait to find the right settings for different use/road profiles.

Third observation - Generally speaking, after 100 miles or so I acclimated myself to the suspension and pulled the dampening from 13/13 down to the 8/9 range. I remember one very specific moment driving on a windy back road, on my way home from the gym, thinking to myself "this feels remarkably stock - did I just spend $4k for an adjustable-but-not-much-different-from-OEM-aside-from-lowering suspension?" And then I realized I was mindlessly cruising about 15 MPH faster than typical. Squeezing through sweepers like butter, it was outrageous. Takeaway: building on second observation... these babies = complete composure and elevated tolerance, enhanced the the car in a very organic way.

Fourth observation - Last Sunday I met up with one of my closest friends who in the upper echelon of a local Porsche store and our mutual friend who recently picked up a 991.2 GT3 (Touring, and it really is beautiful). The first thing I had my dealer friend do was take my car for a rip. I value his opinion because of his immense experience with Porsche (and everything else out there, literally) and we've been extremely close friends for over 10 years - we call it like we see it with each other. He came back genuinely enthralled with the car. In addition to the Ohlins, I also recently had SOUL Performance installed a catted X-Pipe (they could be a game-changer in the 996TT exhaust game, by the way, it's motorsport sound through and through) - between that and the suspension, his reaction was that it felt alive. A GT3-Turbo love-child (at least on the street). He was blown away by the car, and has had several stock and modified 996TT's. Secondly, the GT3 driver had to work a little too hard to keep up (although we weren't totally irresponsible on the drive). Takeaway: I'm not clouded by my own rose-colored-lenses and the car has proven to impress unbiased observers.

Fifth observation - I did not do sway bars. I will in the future. I'm pragmatic and acknowledge that they will tighten up the torsion to match the dampening, but I'm going to wait a bit and just savor the coilovers as a monumental incremental add to the experience on their own. I have no doubt that sways will increase the initial bite and general tautness of the ride quality. Takeaway, building on the prior observations, the suspension is so impactful and tuned from Ohlins in a way that feels totally natural on the car, I'm really content at the moment. The car feels unmodified but enhanced. 100% OEM+ (my goal).

Sixth observation - In my mind, for my road-only use of the car, it's clear that going with a suspension of this level transforms the car. I feel like these DFVs are a well-kept secret in that regard - they aren't $10K JRZ/Moton/etc but also aren't overkill for street use. In fact, they're perfect for street use.

-Joe

The reason I'm asking is how good is this for just street driving use to give you the soft comfort ride but not too soft.

Ohlins DFV are the perfect street damper set-up IMO, at this price range.

Do not underestimate the difference quality damping makes. The suspension is compliant, which is exactly what you want on the road, and wheel control is superb, which means tyre load is kept in check, increasing grip.

You can run stiffer springs without compromising comfort, which gives better chassis control. It’s a win-win.

How about comparing Ohlins with Redwood Ohlins pricing. Subaru $2400, BMW $3100 so when it comes to Tesla premium is too high for the same product. UPP uses Ohlins and price is within the range. Now why this version is $1000 more? Just trying to understand.

If they were using Ohlins DFV internals (which they would not be allowed to do in what appears to be a Taiwanese shock body) that would be advertised all over their site. It's concerning that they just say "Ohlins internals" which honestly is extremely vague. Pistons? Oil? Seals? Shim stack? It's like saying RC Cola is made with some of the "ingredients" in Coke.

To be frank, I can't comment one way or another. We've never benchmarked or dissected a UPP shock body... All I can confidently say is that it's not a DFV Ohlins shock. So all I can say is they'd not be easily comparable comfort and performance-wise.

Reactions: BodegaBay
As far as comparing price to KW's, they're really not comparable in any way shape or form. KW's are *much* cheaper. Steel bodies (heavier), literally plastic lock rings and spring perches, no dual flow valve, no ultra high speed blow off (shock does no go limp if you hit a large bump), no temperature correction valve, and higher hysteresis (less accurate).

In Europe, which is where both Ohlins and KW come from, KW V3 and Ohlins DFV are a similar price. Take a BMW E90 M3 for example. KW V3 Clubsport (harder sprung V3) is £2400 and Ohlins DFV is £2100.

I’ve bought both kits for many cars over the years, in fact I have some new Ohlins DFV’s and KW V3 in the workshop at the moment.

There are plus and minus points for both types. The plastic spring perches and Inox stainless steel bodies of the KW’s are a good thing for a road car. They do not corrode at all, even in the harshest environment, which means the height adjustment is always available, even after years on the car. The extra weight of the bodies isn’t going to make a difference to most people on a road car. In a harsh environment, Ohlins aluminium bodies do corrode. If you’re not careful, those spring platforms will seize.

The performance of the KW V3 is excellent for the price, no doubt about that. They are more difficult and more time consuming to dial in compared to the Ohlins, no doubt about that either. Both are excellent units, the Ohlins better for the road and for people who don’t have the time, inclination or knowledge to set up 2 way dampers.

If they were using Ohlins DFV internals (which they would not be allowed to do in what appears to be a Taiwanese shock body) that would be advertised all over their site. It's concerning that they just say "Ohlins internals" which honestly is extremely vague. Pistons? Oil? Seals? Shim stack? It's like saying RC Cola is made with some of the "ingredients" in Coke.

I have the UPP racing coilovers and they are definitely high quality, but also do NOT have Ohlins DFV internals. I think this offering is a pretty reasonable price for the quality and technology that you get and really would love to compare these to my UP coilovers. Keep in mind the race version from UP is over $4K, so these aren't really too bad...

BTW - the point about high quality shocks allowing high spring rates is 100% true. I'm running almost 2x stiffer springs than stock and the ride is only slightly harsher at soft settings and super firm and sporty on track.

There are plus and minus points for both types. The plastic spring perches and Inox stainless steel bodies of the KW’s are a good thing for a road car. They do not corrode at all, even in the harshest environment, which means the height adjustment is always available, even after years on the car. The extra weight of the bodies isn’t going to make a difference to most people on a road car. In a harsh environment, Ohlins aluminium bodies do corrode. If you’re not careful, those spring platforms will seize.

These are mil-spec hard anodized (both the shock bodies and lock rings). There should be zero corrosion. We've used Ohlins for years and have never had corrosion as an issue, even on salted snow roads. You will want to have the threads clean before you try to move the lock rings and spring perch, however, we've worked with the KW lock rings on other chassis and without cleaning the threads you're just grinding/forcing dirt into the threads. We're definitely not fans of the plastic lock rings and spring perches, but as with all things, that's obviously a personal preference.

Reactions: kbecks13