TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by HardHitter, Dec 21, 2019.

1. HardHitter

HardHitter Member

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

No prob, should be able to download some extra battery cells OTA.

That 100kwh battery might be the only thing that would make me want a new car. Wonder if they would offer retrofits, and if so, how much that would cost.

• Love x 1
  3. HardHitter

HardHitter Member

Highly doubt they would offer owners to swap from 75 kWh to 100 kWh. That would be a significant cost.

What is going to happen though, is the 75 kWh Model 3 automatically becomes obsolete. For those who bought in Q4'2019, if this comes out in say Q1'2020, they are going to be pissed. I am debating on cancelling my order and just waiting...I'd gladly pay another $5-$10K for another 100 miles of range + ludicrous

• Funny x 3
  4. destructure00

Keep in mind it's total speculation from a questionable journalist that got his info from a Twitter post by someone who hacks into Tesla code and posts some of what he finds. There was speculation back in Feb 2018 about a 100kwh pack coming in the next 6 months, and you can see how that panned out. I personally wouldn't make any purchase decisions based on this article.

Here's the source's own disclaimer...

Screenshot_20191221-071016.png

5. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I'm deeply skeptical. A 100 kWh pack would require either a massive improvement in energy density or a substantial increase in pack volume, and I'm not sure where they can increase the volume safely.

Ludicrous mode on the S/X involves much bigger, heavier rear drive motors to deliver the massively greater torque. I see no reason to believe the PMSR core is capable of such a substantial increase, and there's been no suggestion of Tesla releasing another motor to production.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  6. DanCar

DanCar Active Member

It won't kill the value of the car. Yes your car is going to devalue, like every other car sold and every other electric car sold. When 100 kWh car comes out it will be priced appropriately. It won't be cheap and it won't be affordable to most people.

• Like x 7
  7. UCF3

UCF3 Member

You’re saying TeslaDaily is a questionable journalist?

• Funny x 1
  8. destructure00

What's TeslaDaily?

• Like x 2
  9. brur

brur Member

I got to complain that there isn't enough room for a 25% longer battery box in the 3. The current pack is about 6.5 feet log adding 18 inches would push it into the front suspension, wouldn't it?

Maybe it's a Y thing utilizing 3 basic formulations. And that is where people are losing sight of reality.

• Like x 1
  10. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

This makes no sense. If they come out with a 100 kWh battery pack for the Model 3 it will be priced accordingly. There has always been a market for standard range and long range batteries. Not everyone needs a 400+ mile range EV. The battery pack is still the most expensive component of the car so if they offer this battery it will be priced higher than the 75 kWh equivalent car.

How many people worried about finding an ICE vehicle with 400 miles of range? My Lexus used to get 340 miles and it never concerned me. With an ICE car you have to drive to a gas station to fill it up. With a Tesla you can fill it up every night in your garage.

So the only benefit to a 400+ mile range is the occasional long distance trip. Maybe it will cut down your charging time by 10 minutes, or eliminate one extra stop on a very long trip.

Just not worth worrying about.

• Like x 7
  11. destructure00

Oh I just got it, that was in the screenshot I posted. No, I was referring to OP's link to Electrek / Fred Lambert.

• Like x 1
  12. electracity

electracity Banned

13. HardHitter

HardHitter Member

I think I am more worried about not getting Ludicrous mode in current Performance models and in order to get Ludicrous mode, you have to have the 100 kWh battery and wouldn't be an OTA upgrade.

• Like x 2
  14. destructure00

Isn't Ludicrous more dependent on motor capability than battery?

15. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

There were people who spent $20K on ludicrous mode for the Model S. How much do you think they got back on that investment on resale?

• Like x 2
  16. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

That's gonna be added mass from the battery. And volume, too. So you're carrying around extra weight that you might not use. And if you did use the full range frequently, that capacity won't be fully charged from the NEMA.

So if it were real, it would cost more, carrying benefits not useful for most people.

Also, I regret having clicked on electreck

• Like x 1
  17. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

Dude, you keep trying to chase the latest. I’ll save you the trouble: no matter what you buy something else is coming out better.

So save yourself time and money and preorder a cyber truck. That will give you two years to chase the rabbit for only $100, and in another forum...

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 4
  18. CAAD

CAAD Member

Tesla knowing that the AWD model outsells the Performance, this would produce even smaller gains for a lot of R&D. Would they even want to do this?

19. CAAD

CAAD Member

Oh btw knowing how screwed Performance buyers got, you’ll be the first to feel with this car.

20. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

You can go buy an S right now with ludicrous mode. You went from buying a base 3, to a performance, to $75k nonexistent model in days, lol.

You should cancel your order. I heard a rumor Ford has 1,000 mile range, 1.5 second 0-60 car coming out “soon” #windowshopper.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3