Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No prob, should be able to download some extra battery cells OTA.

That 100kwh battery might be the only thing that would make me want a new car. Wonder if they would offer retrofits, and if so, how much that would cost.

Highly doubt they would offer owners to swap from 75 kWh to 100 kWh. That would be a significant cost.

What is going to happen though, is the 75 kWh Model 3 automatically becomes obsolete. For those who bought in Q4'2019, if this comes out in say Q1'2020, they are going to be pissed. I am debating on cancelling my order and just waiting...I'd gladly pay another $5-$10K for another 100 miles of range + ludicrous

Keep in mind it's total speculation from a questionable journalist that got his info from a Twitter post by someone who hacks into Tesla code and posts some of what he finds. There was speculation back in Feb 2018 about a 100kwh pack coming in the next 6 months, and you can see how that panned out. I personally wouldn't make any purchase decisions based on this article.

Here's the source's own disclaimer...

Screenshot_20191221-071016.png

I'm deeply skeptical. A 100 kWh pack would require either a massive improvement in energy density or a substantial increase in pack volume, and I'm not sure where they can increase the volume safely.

Ludicrous mode on the S/X involves much bigger, heavier rear drive motors to deliver the massively greater torque. I see no reason to believe the PMSR core is capable of such a substantial increase, and there's been no suggestion of Tesla releasing another motor to production.

This is exactly why I didn't want to order my Performance 3. Literally ordered it yesterday and this article comes out. If this were to happen, it would immediately kill the value of the car.

Tesla leaks code hinting at Model 3 100 kWh battery pack, Ludicrous mode, and more - Electrek
It won't kill the value of the car. Yes your car is going to devalue, like every other car sold and every other electric car sold. When 100 kWh car comes out it will be priced appropriately. It won't be cheap and it won't be affordable to most people.

Keep in mind it's total speculation from a questionable journalist that got his info from a Twitter post by someone who hacks into Tesla code and posts some of what he finds. There was speculation back in Feb 2018 about a 100kwh pack coming in the next 6 months, and you can see how that panned out. I personally wouldn't make any purchase decisions based on this article.

Here's the source's own disclaimer...

View attachment 490980
You’re saying TeslaDaily is a questionable journalist?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I got to complain that there isn't enough room for a 25% longer battery box in the 3. The current pack is about 6.5 feet log adding 18 inches would push it into the front suspension, wouldn't it?

Maybe it's a Y thing utilizing 3 basic formulations. And that is where people are losing sight of reality.

Reactions: DanCar
Highly doubt they would offer owners to swap from 75 kWh to 100 kWh. That would be a significant cost.

What is going to happen though, is the 75 kWh Model 3 automatically becomes obsolete. For those who bought in Q4'2019, if this comes out in say Q1'2020, they are going to be pissed. I am debating on cancelling my order and just waiting...I'd gladly pay another $5-$10K for another 100 miles of range + ludicrous

This makes no sense. If they come out with a 100 kWh battery pack for the Model 3 it will be priced accordingly. There has always been a market for standard range and long range batteries. Not everyone needs a 400+ mile range EV. The battery pack is still the most expensive component of the car so if they offer this battery it will be priced higher than the 75 kWh equivalent car.

How many people worried about finding an ICE vehicle with 400 miles of range? My Lexus used to get 340 miles and it never concerned me. With an ICE car you have to drive to a gas station to fill it up. With a Tesla you can fill it up every night in your garage.

So the only benefit to a 400+ mile range is the occasional long distance trip. Maybe it will cut down your charging time by 10 minutes, or eliminate one extra stop on a very long trip.

Just not worth worrying about.

This makes no sense. If they come out with a 100 kWh battery pack for the Model 3 it will be priced accordingly. There has always been a market for standard range and long range batteries. Not everyone needs a 400+ mile range EV. The battery pack is still the most expensive component of the car so if they offer this battery it will be priced higher than the 75 kWh equivalent car.

How many people worried about finding an ICE vehicle with 400 miles of range? My Lexus used to get 340 miles and it never concerned me. With an ICE car you have to drive to a gas station to fill it up. With a Tesla you can fill it up every night in your garage.

So the only benefit to a 400+ mile range is the occasional long distance trip. Maybe it will cut down your charging time by 10 minutes, or eliminate one extra stop on a very long trip.

Just not worth worrying about.

I think I am more worried about not getting Ludicrous mode in current Performance models and in order to get Ludicrous mode, you have to have the 100 kWh battery and wouldn't be an OTA upgrade.

That's gonna be added mass from the battery. And volume, too. So you're carrying around extra weight that you might not use. And if you did use the full range frequently, that capacity won't be fully charged from the NEMA.

So if it were real, it would cost more, carrying benefits not useful for most people.

Also, I regret having clicked on electreck

Reactions: MacGreiner

You can go buy an S right now with ludicrous mode. You went from buying a base 3, to a performance, to $75k nonexistent model in days, lol.

You should cancel your order. I heard a rumor Ford has 1,000 mile range, 1.5 second 0-60 car coming out “soon” #windowshopper.