Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2-Year Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, that is pretty much exactly the current, online manual, dated to firmware 2019.36

Yep, online manual dated October 30th 2019 ( https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf ) shows this on page 152:

9F6F70F8-26E1-426B-A4CF-63E1912088FB.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle and house9
I called my local service center and was quoted about $500. After asking what they do it was mainly some very basic stuff I have done elsewhere or do myself (tire rotation, wiper blades, etc). I did go in for the cabin filter and brake fluid check. It was a total of $45.

They replaced your cabin filters and checked your brake fluid for $45? That seems really low. The quoted price for the brake fluid check is $69. The cabin filter parts are $35 not including labor.

A solid brake fluid check tool can be had for $20 or less... if you're willing to have a really basic one, you're under 10. It will only take a few minutes to test. It should be really cheap to test, but Tesla service... To me, simply checking and not having to deal with setting up an appointment for something so easy, it is worth the cost of buying a simple tool.

If you do swap it yourself, swapping to Castrol SRF (expensive but worth every penny). The wet boiling point on that fluid (reason to change the fluid in general) is so high even when wet that you could extend the interval to 3/4+ years provided you test and understand where it is at to avoid pushing it too far.

It should be said, if you are hard on brakes or track the car... you should change frequently anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: coleAK
Found this thread with more details. Seems extensively hard to bleed out ABS

Replacing (upgrade) brake fluid

if you use this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK9FE8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&tag=tmc064-20
it’s a one person job. Just use it to pressurize the cylinder then bleed at all 4 corners starting with farthest away until you see fresh fluid coming out. Remember to replace fluid in the cylinder as needed and re-pressurize as needed. If you don’t have that tool then it’s a 2 person job. One bleeds while the other pushes the brake pedal in the car. Another not as complete easier option that many people do is just use a turkey Bastet to suck most of the fluid out of the cylinder then refill with fresh, that gets you a ~66-75% exchange, I have a buddy that does this every year.

Found this thread with more details. Seems extensively hard to bleed out ABS

Replacing (upgrade) brake fluid

Pressurized bleeding, as mentioned above, makes it a lot easier. Second, and I haven't done this to my car yet, but ABS modules usually have a bleeder on them. Bleed the ABS module then move around the car. Second if you are doing a flush, you should use denatured alcohol to clean the system. If you are upgrading to a fluid like Castrol SRF that is silicon based, it is best to flush a 2-3 times to clean out as much as possible. If you're are going the dot 3 or dot 4 route, a simple once over alcohol flush then fill and bleed would suffice. For a good dot 4 for street use, I'd recommend Pentosin Super Dot 4. Motul absorbs water too fast. For the track, I'd recommend Motul over Pentosin.

Last edited:
Brake fluid does NOT need to be replaced every two years nor even need to be checked in normal driving. Source, 65 years of driving keeper cars that never had brake fluid changed. I don't know where this comes from unless it's people who overheat it at tracks. Let the argument begin.

Brake fluid does NOT need to be replaced every two years nor even need to be checked in normal driving. Source, 65 years of driving keeper cars that never had brake fluid changed. I don't know where this comes from unless it's people who overheat it at tracks. Let the argument begin.

This is what Tesla recommends (to check every 2 years and replace if needed; see above).

It comes from basic chemistry.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic.

It absorbs water from air simply by existing.

There's folks who don't change their transmission fluid ever too and just get a new car often enough to never have a problem- doesn't mean it's a good idea overall.

bfluid.gif

DOT4 absorbs water slower- but the boiling point drops a lot faster when it does (with a 50% drop in boiling point at just 3% water)

Think about how much effort Tesla has put into NOT having routine maintenance items. Yet brake fluid remained on the list.

If the engineers who built the car think it's important to check they might be on to something.

Important to note what they're suggesting every 2 years isn't a CHANGE though- it's CHECKING if you need a change.

Because depending on use, climate, etc you might need a change at 2 years. You might be fine till 4 or 6 years.

But basic chemistry tells us unless you live in a desert you're probably pushing your luck too much after that. Given you live someplace super humid I guess you've been lucky to now or just replace cars often.