Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2-Year Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owners manual says:
Brake fluid health check every 2 years (replace if necessary)
Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years
Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (if in an area where roads are salted during the Winter)

Additionally, for early production units there are odds and ends that Tesla likes to fix. For example, I had my car in for service about 4 months ago for a funky smell out of the A/C and they replaced a several parts that they said were related to being an early VIN.

Define early VIN

My Model 3 turned 2yo on Christmas Eve (22,000 miles). I asked Tesla about bringing her in and what they would want to do. This is their list:
Tire rotation: $97.50
Cabin filter (remove and replace): $39
Cabin filter (HVAC, Combination Filter, M3 (1107681-00-A)): $17
Brake fluid check: $19.50
Brake fluid bleed/flush (remove and replace): $195.00
Four wheel alignment (check and adjust): $146.25
Wiper blades (remove and replace): $19.50
Replace charge port insulator pins: Warranty
Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit With Electrical Wiring Rework: Customer pre-pay

I suppose that tire rotation might be pointless if they are too worn already, so I guess I should check the tread. And $17 for the cabin filter and another $39 for the labor to do the replacement doesn't seem excessive. The basic brake fluid check is $19.50, but then another $195 if it needs to be replaced (and perhaps another charge for the actual replacement brake fluid if needed?). I'm guessing the alignment is not $146.25 if they check and don't need to do anything, but I suppose they always need to tweak it some. I'm guessing that charge for the wiper blades includes both parts and the trivial labor involved.

The warranty replacement of insulator pins is a good thing, I suppose.

And I'm thrilled they're taking the opportunity to swap in the FSD computer!

This adds up to $533.75. I'll be taking her in on January 8.

Any comments?
So all done. Just did the cabin filter replacement and the brake fluid check (which came up fine). I'll take care of the rest of the stuff later or not at all depending. And now I've got HW3, so we'll see how that goes.
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 8.49.30 AM.png

Air cannot easily get at brake fluid. There are diaphragms in the reservoir that reduce that and it's not going to get in through the caliper piston seals unless they leak. Cleaning and lubricating the calipers in hostile environments might be worthwhile. The average driver is never going to need brake fluid replacement for the life of the car.
Agree with you on life of the car and brake fluid. It’s pretty much sealed from outside air. I had a repair shop pretty much tell me when they replaced my pads on my wife’s car that to replace the fluid was a waste of money unless their was signs of corrosion or the caliper pistons were leaking.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Follow up to my OP.

Brought in my M3 on Monday for a 24-Month service. Tesla suggested Wheel Alignment & Break Fluid flush and refill. Total cost was $341. Also suggested wiper replacement but refused as it hardly ever rains in San Diego and the wipers are not streaking. Additionally they replaced at no cost Driver Floor Mat (which would no longer stay secure) & Chargeport Pins per service bulletin. Oh yeah, one other minor tweak, "performed full self driving car computer retrofit with electrical wiring"... whatever that might be. :p

Follow up to my OP.

Brought in my M3 on Monday for a 24-Month service. Tesla suggested Wheel Alignment & Break Fluid flush and refill. Total cost was $341. Also suggested wiper replacement but refused as it hardly ever rains in San Diego and the wipers are not streaking. Additionally they replaced at no cost Driver Floor Mat (which would no longer stay secure) & Chargeport Pins per service bulletin. Oh yeah, one other minor tweak, "performed full self driving car computer retrofit with electrical wiring"... whatever that might be. :p

gotta part number for that last item? Maybe we can just order one on the phone app. :D

Reactions: clmason
I'm repeating some of what has been said before, but I'd emphasize two reasons to check your brake fluid and replace it if it shows signs of moisture contamination. As others have mentioned, brake fluid aggressively absorbs water. It is pulling water through the rubber seals and diaphragms of the system very slowly, but all the time. Brake systems are designed to minimize this, but it can never be fully prevented. Once the brake fluid has water in it, two things happen.

First, the boiling point of the brake fluid is reduced. That means that if you are using the brakes a lot, say on the track or headed down a long mountain pass, the fluid may begin to boil in the calipers, turning some of the fluid into a gas. Fluids are incompressible (firm brake pedal), gasses are very compressible, which means your brake pedal will soften and your ability to apply stopping forces to the calipers will suddenly be reduced. So this is a safety issue. The more moisture that the brake fluid absorbs, the lower the boiling point, and the sooner your brakes will begin to fade or fail.

Second, brake fluid is designed not to interact with the metal, rubber, and plastic components in your brake system. As water enters the system, the fluid becomes more corrosive, and the metal surfaces inside of the brake system will begin to show surface rust. If your brake fluid is not clear, if it is brown, this is happening. This was a minor problem 25 years ago when brake systems were simple; a master cylinder, some lines, and four calipers. Now that ABS is standard on all cars, rust in the system can result in a very expensive replacement of the ABS modulating valve. If your ABS valve fails and you have not replaced the fluid, I doubt the manufacturer will see this as a warranty problem (as well they should not).

I'm sure that many folks get by running their cars without ever changing their brake fluid, but I don't know that means it is recommended. I change mine every two years on my cars and motorcycles, it is cheap insurance. This is not Tesla specific, it is true for all hydraulic braking systems, which to my knowledge, every production car made today is using.

Just got a quote for my 2 year maintenance: $285 via mobile service. That includes the wipers.

Getting it done today. Just wish they had let me do it at the service center so I could have tried for the FSD upgrade.

Just got a quote for my 2 year maintenance: $285 via mobile service. That includes the wipers.

Getting it done today. Just wish they had let me do it at the service center so I could have tried for the FSD upgrade.

Which service category did you use on the mobile app to schedule the 2 year service?
Categories are:
1. Noise / vibration
2. Tires wheels
3. exterior
4. interior
5. software
6. battery
7. upgrades
8. other

Thanks!

I am very interested to know what they changed out. My M3 is almost 2.5 years now. I am guessing other than wipers, they probably changed the cabin air filter and just inspected other things? That seems to be around $285.

My truck is 17 years old.

I changed the brake fluid three times by the turkey baster method. No brake or traction control problems ever and it's an awd in the northeast.

Not the best way to do it but it does work.

I am very interested to know what they changed out. My M3 is almost 2.5 years now. I am guessing other than wipers, they probably changed the cabin air filter and just inspected other things? That seems to be around $285.

I had my 2-year service done via mobile service about 3 weeks ago. This included 1) Brake fluid test 2) Tire inspection 3) Tire rotation 4) Replace cabin air filter . Total including parts and labor was $131.50. The best part of all is that since they came to my home, I did not have to take any time off of work to go to the service center. I loved how they were even able to let themselves into the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
I had my 2-year service done via mobile service about 3 weeks ago. This included 1) Brake fluid test 2) Tire inspection 3) Tire rotation 4) Replace cabin air filter . Total including parts and labor was $131.50. The best part of all is that since they came to my home, I did not have to take any time off of work to go to the service center. I loved how they were even able to let themselves into the car.
What option did you select to get the 2 year mobile service done via the app? Or just did you just choose "other"?

there's literally no way that an EV with braking happening largely over re-gen needs a brake fluid flush after 2 yrs... even on ICE vehicles that's not something needed before year 4 or even 5. if there's significant moisture contamination in your brake fluid after just 2 yrs... something is wrong with the system (for e.g. a leak).

I'll test strip my brake fluid after 2 yrs and swap out the cabin air filter and do another annual tire rotation myself...

Reactions: israndy
For those getting the FSD computer retrofit.. you paid for the FSD upgrade presumably either at purchase time or later on? Or are people suggesting they are swapping 2.5 for 3.0 computers to anyone or a random lucky few?
My earlyish VIN car had a slightly quirky start in life which resulted in me getting some unexpected freebies as a good will gesture. I wonder if I went to Tesla for a service whether I would continue to benefit from their random generosity.. I highly doubt it of course