Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 at Intense Autocross Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car is clearly lacking front grip, as it tends to plow/understeer a fair bit, but dang if it doesn't claw its way out once it gets pointed the right direction!

Probably the stock tires on the 18s, more grip would make a big difference, then see if it needs a bit more rear bar to help it rotate.

Said it compared favorably to a Mazda Miata.

Pretty impressive for a stock car with a novice driver.

The future of autocross will belong to EV's. Probably all wheel drive.

Saw how they began to dominate races like Pikes Peak.

Short races will go to EV technology. Longer road courses will go to Hybrids, where the regenerative braking benefits can come into play.

Said it compared favorably to a Mazda Miata.

Pretty impressive for a stock car with a novice driver.

The future of autocross will belong to EV's. Probably all wheel drive.

Saw how they began to dominate races like Pikes Peak.

Short races will go to EV technology. Longer road courses will go to Hybrids, where the regenerative braking benefits can come into play.
Since the Miata is in a faster class than a Model S it would be very impressive if the Model 3 is as fast as a Miata. The Model 3 should be faster at autocross than the Model S since it's narrower and lighter.

Reactions: GSP
Last edited:
Reactions: Matt_CRNA
I did serious AutoX for about 5 years and had good cars, but thinking of the instant power out of corners that the Tesla would give you...man....that would be just awesome. I can recall so many times when I was yelling "COME ON!!!" to the car, waiting for the revs to get up there and give me the power.

I might take the Model 3 out, though getting some good summer only tires on there would be nice. Nothing will compare to my Integra Type R on race tires and suspension, but I'm pretty sure you can have a fun afternoon in a Model 3. :D

At our yesterday club autoX event we had red Tesla Model 3 with competent driver with street legal racing compound tires: RA71's on 18" sport wheels. He's times were just 1/2 second slower then mine (Lotus Elise with LSD on similar compound R888's) on a 50s course. I'm in shock. I'm rusty now but used to autocross a lot on 2000-2009. Very impressive times! The power consumption was like 1500Wt/mi for the run ;-)

At our yesterday club autoX event we had red Tesla Model 3 with competent driver with street legal racing compound tires: RA71's on 18" sport wheels. He's times were just 1/2 second slower then mine (Lotus Elise with LSD on similar compound R888's) on a 50s course. I'm in shock. I'm rusty now but used to autocross a lot on 2000-2009. Very impressive times! The power consumption was like 1500Wt/mi for the run ;-)

What was he classed as?

What was he classed as?
Since this Lotus club event SCCA rules apply just loosely.
We have single class for all non-Lotus cars where we apply PAX index. But I'm not sure how this one will be PAX'ed. The results will be calculated/published much later.

Luke, the driver of the model 3 works at Tesla and deals with many aspects of what'd be relevant for AutoX from what I found.
Interesting bit of information I learned from him that is not a good news for Model 3 AutoX future: He said he could have run tighter but intentionally left more room between the cones and rocker panels knowing from inside how that area made. Implying they'd be dented on impact. this sucks as I'm tempted to try my own Model 3 one of the next events;-(

I wonder if this driver disabled traction & stability control in some way.