Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Audio Flat Sounding From Rear Speakers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could just be going crazy, but I haven't really had the opportunity to sit in another Model 3 to verify what I'm hearing. 2 weeks ago I noticed that music didn't sound as loud behind me, it was working, something didn't seem right though. Brushed it off as later in the day the "fullness" was back, assumed it was something random.
Last week, my speakers all quit working except like 2 in the front. Sounded like an old tiny radio from the 90s. Got home, got out of the car, got in later seemed to be working, but noticed it didn't seem as punchy and full as it. So I slid the balance slider to the back and it seems very flat and not loud at all. Granted I'm using Spotify, but still that's basically all I've used since day 1 and never have noticed the issue (if there is one.). Did some research, saw some people describing kind of what I was experiencing and to "soft reset" the car, by powering off. Did that, waited 5 minutes and hit the break to power on. Didn't work. But got in later and it worked! Figured it sorted out.

Later that day, left again and once again felt like there was no wall of sound behind me. Ugh.

So am I crazy? Is it normally so low sounding back there? Like I hear a bit of bass along with it, so it seems the back speakers are working, it's just missing that full, loud sound I've been loving while rocking out haha. I'm going to include a video, obviously not the best example as it's recorded on a phone, but was wondering if anyone could see what theirs sounds like.

Thanks for any help or answers. My wife thinks I blew my speakers. Haha.

I'd start by saying which model you own, because there are 2 different sound systems. The LR and P have the 'premium' one. My 2021 LR has no audio issues, except screeching noises with Tune-In (CNN, specifically), but that's their signal.

I was experiencing an audio issue yesterday where I had no bass. Even with the lower two ranges cranked all the way up to max I could just barely hear Brian Ritchie carrying the Femmes which is a crime! Was going to submit a service ticket today but now it is back!?. Hopefully just a glitch. @BrandonR24 , are you still experiencing your issues with your rear speakers?

My guess is that it is on Spotify's end and you are getting such a low bitrate that the bass is compromised. I tried Spotify for about 30 seconds and turned it off. I use Qobuz on my iPhone and stream via Bluetooth. BT itself is not the best solution but it is better than any of the streaming you get in a Tesla. I'm still waiting for true hi-res streaming at the quality my phone can get, but Tesla has managed to make that impossible and I still can't quite figure out why.

your rear sounds normal.

If you set the sound to rear only you don't get any tweeters producing transients. You just have the bass from the sub and the midrange from the small door woofers. On top of that at low volumes the model 3 has some shitty compressor to compress bass and midrange at lower listening volumes. so the sound will sound like a pancake.

The idea is that the rear passangers get spill from the front and mid tweeters i.e. the left rear passenger can hear the door tweeter via the gap in the seats and the middle tweeter via the space inbetween the seats. But the tweeter on the right door is blocked. So they get a good sense of direction from the sound.

I was experiencing an audio issue yesterday where I had no bass. Even with the lower two ranges cranked all the way up to max I could just barely hear Brian Ritchie carrying the Femmes which is a crime! Was going to submit a service ticket today but now it is back!?. Hopefully just a glitch. @BrandonR24 , are you still experiencing your issues with your rear speakers?
Having the same issue in my wife’s 2021 M3LR. Started happening right after we ran a software update. Coincidence?

Yo! Sorry I haven't responded. I got in contact with Tesla service and they are coming tomorrow to check my car, but they ordered 2 parts, an audio amplifier and subwoofer. At least that's the email I got from Tesla. I'll probably be able to give you more details tomorrow!

I experienced loss of rear speakers, front bass speakers and the subwoofer. I tried the 2 buttons approach, I also let the car sleep - no improvement.
I read that the rear amplifier takes care of all that stuff so I went ahead for a amplifier disconnect/reconnect - physically. It is actually very very easy.
Just peel a little the trunk trim and disconnect the 3 connectors from the amplifier, them, put them back (disconnect all first, connect them back after, in reverse order):

IMG_2486.jpeg IMG_2488.jpeg

To my surprise, not only that all the speakers started working again, but the sound is more full, the subwoofer it makes itself felf ... on more bass heavy songs you can fell your chest vibrating now, along with the seat :) ...

I thought it is placebo so I asked a friend who criticised the audio system before and he said that it sounds like a whole new system, much much better than before.

This is my experience. Try it out yourself, see what comes out in your case. There is nothing that can go wrong.

I placed a service appointment and schedule for Tuesday. I hope its a simple software bug fix for the greater good of the car/owners. It would be a shame if we had to replace the OEM amp in less than 2 years of ownership.
Must be nice to get in for service in a decent timeframe. Here in Tampa they are 6 weeks out from getting cars serviced. I just reset the car again and told Tesla. Still no response from their terrible tech support.