Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD extended vs. performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been covered, but what is the difference between the two that makes the performance model quicker? I know the performance model has bigger brakes, bigger wheels, lowered suspension and carbon fiber spoiler.... But what is it exactly that makes it quicker. It looks like it has the same two motors and same battery size. So, is it just a licensing thing where Tesla is somewhat limiting the power in the standard extended range AWD model? Or, does it have a different power inverter, etc.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what the difference is. I'm guessing it's just software limited if there's no real hardware difference. Honestly, the AWD extended range is pretty quick as it is... a second faster 0-60 is fun, but I don't know if it's $11k fun.... Maybe they'll optimize a little in the future and make it a bit quicker with a software update like they did with the S.

Maybe they'll optimize a little in the future and make it a bit quicker with a software update like they did with the S.

I'd love to see this, but Tesla's going to protect the Performance version price point by keeping the P quicker. I doubt we'll every see 0-60 times of the Non-P AWD come within 1 sec. of the 3DP. I've yet to see much actual performance data on the non-P AWD, but it appears it's challenged to beat the Tesla spec'd 0-60 times, even though the RWD and P version have both bested their published 0-60 times by 0.2 sec.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what the difference is. I'm guessing it's just software limited if there's no real hardware difference. Honestly, the AWD extended range is pretty quick as it is... a second faster 0-60 is fun, but I don't know if it's $11k fun.... Maybe they'll optimize a little in the future and make it a bit quicker with a software update like they did with the S.

I've had mine for 3 weeks, and it's been the best additional $11k I've ever spent.

Apologies if this has been covered, but what is the difference between the two that makes the performance model quicker? I know the performance model has bigger brakes, bigger wheels, lowered suspension and carbon fiber spoiler.... But what is it exactly that makes it quicker. It looks like it has the same two motors and same battery size. So, is it just a licensing thing where Tesla is somewhat limiting the power in the standard extended range AWD model? Or, does it have a different power inverter, etc.

Software allowing higher inverter power and energy.

Agreed! For those that know this area, on Saturday I was the first car at a stoplight which feeds 3 lanes of traffic directly into the 55N freeway in Costa Mesa (17th street) with my brother sitting shotgun. I was in the leftmost lane. I told him to put his head back on the headrest. When the light turned green I floored it. To my surprise there was a speed bike two lanes over on my right who also took off (didn’t see him because of the van in the middle lane). Needless to say, my P3+ left him in the dust. So much so the bike gave up and backed off. I eventually slowed down and the bike finally caught up. When he got next to me he gave me a “thumbs up” and head nod.

This may be the most expensive car I will ever purchase which is why I paid the $11K for the 1 second faster 0-60 and 155 top end speed. No regrets!

I'd love to see this, but Tesla's going to protect the Performance version price point by keeping the P quicker. I doubt we'll every see 0-60 times of the Non-P AWD come within 1 sec. of the 3DP. I've yet to see much actual performance data on the non-P AWD, but it appears it's challenged to beat the Tesla spec'd 0-60 times, even though the RWD and P version have both bested their published 0-60 times by 0.2 sec.

I think Tesla publishes 0-60 times at 50% charge. You can get better times at 100% charge so perhaps the tests that beat the published times were at higher states of charge than 50% and maybe the non-P AWD tests (so far) have been at or below 50%?

Reactions: Jedi2155

Some magazine will shame Tesla about getting slightly lower than advertised speed out of the AWD and a software update will uncork it by another 3/10

I wish it was only $11k difference but you have to also add another $5k to get the performance brakes and wheels. The brakes seem critical if you are really going to drive it like a performance car. I my mind the performance upgrade is $16k, not $11k. Adding in tax in CA which adds close to another $1500.

Are most folks ordering the performance version w/o the performance upgrade?

upload_2018-8-27_12-25-7.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Jedi2155
The brakes seem critical if you are really going to drive it like a performance car.

Disagree - if you want to track it, maybe - but you should be able to upgrade the tires and brake pads for less and be equally capable on the track (and maybe better with lighter rims)

On street, the brakes and tires are completely fine unless, perhaps, you're a true hooligan ;)

Last edited:
Disagree - if you want to track it, maybe - but you may be able to upgrade the tires and brake pads for less and be equally capable on the track (and maybe better with lighter rims)

On street, the brakes and tires are completely fine unless, perhaps, you're a true hooligan ;)

;) Not that much of a hooligan...anymore. Interesting....I was feeling it was like false advertising to break out the performance model into two separate charges. I don't really mind $11k it was just getting to be hard to justify when it was closer to $18k with tax. I still wish they had a black wheel option. Man, now I have to think about changing my config to the performance version.

Reactions: Msjulie
Disagree - if you want to track it, maybe - but you may be able to upgrade the tires and brake pads for less and be equally capable on the track (and maybe better with lighter rims)

100% agree on the brakes. (unnecessary for street driving) You could argue on the tires.... stickier (summer) tires will help your performance but they also have some downsides too. (the 20" rims are more prone to pothole damage and summer tires can have issues in cold climate areas) but that varies depending on your location. More options is always better so everyone can do what they want.

• Helpful
Reactions: nogassnorlax
I think Tesla publishes 0-60 times at 50% charge. You can get better times at 100% charge so perhaps the tests that beat the published times were at higher states of charge than 50% and maybe the non-P AWD tests (so far) have been at or below 50%?

I thought I'd read in several threads on this forum, that 0-60 times are largely unaffected by normal range SOC, and that SOC play a role in power above 60mph.

Can someone more knowledgeable confirm?

I thought I'd read in several threads on this forum, that 0-60 times are largely unaffected by normal range SOC, and that SOC play a role in power above 60mph.

Can someone more knowledgeable confirm?

With the S/X this is true, the lower the SOC, the lower the power output and thus lower 0-60 to an extent. I have not seen data to support the same being true with the 3 with new battery, motors and cooling. HIowever, have driven a PM3 with 100% and one with 65% and did notice a difference in the "effect" of a launch 0-60 but could not measure the results...just my 2cents.

I doubt we'll every see 0-60 times of the Non-P AWD come within 1 sec. of the 3DP. I've yet to see much actual performance data on the non-P AWD, but it appears it's challenged to beat the Tesla spec'd 0-60 times, even though the RWD and P version have both bested their published 0-60 times by 0.2 sec.

I don't believe that's accurate.

All the RWD/P times that beat listed Tesla times significantly included rollout. Without that the quickest P I've seen was 3.53...very slightly slower than Teslas official time.

Ditto for the AWD- where I've seen 4.55 without rollout, and 4.26 with it- with an official Tesla time of 4.5

• Informative
Reactions: diamond.g
For those that still aren't aware, the biggest impact of the performance upgrade is the tires, and higher top speed. The second impact is brakes which are ONLY valuable if you're doing race tracks (with repeated usage of the brakes), otherwise they offer no real benefit in everyday driving.

I don't believe that's accurate.

All the RWD/P times that beat listed Tesla times significantly included rollout. Without that the quickest P I've seen was 3.53...very slightly slower than Teslas official time.

Ditto for the AWD- where I've seen 4.55 without rollout, and 4.26 with it- with an official Tesla time of 4.5

Was the reported +0-60 3.38s time including rollout?

Performance Model - extra costs that Tesla might expect ??

- higher warranty claims as car is driven harder
- and batteries charged higher on average? expect higher warranty claims against batteries?

So Tesla picking better motors would seem a logical thing to do.
Different limits are set for reliability vs performance.
- top speed (we can see the spec for this, right?)
- contactors and wires enlarged (which I think they are, right?)
- better brakes, wheels and tires
- different suspension/settings/springs - i.e. changes/options adds to Tesla costs.

A few performance parts may be added/substituted - but all other costs are equal.
I mean to imply all performance versions are "over priced" because
- customer will pay to get performance
- warranty cost would be expected to be higher
- is it worth it? Only the customer can decide - your money, you buy what you want.

I think I should perhaps thank performance buyers as they contribute to Tesla profits and their buying habits help push product limits/performance.

Options are nice and fun. And a small niche for smaller business people to exploit.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61