Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on size, weight and efficiency, my guess is that the base battery would be 50kWh.

When Tesla sold the S70, pack cost was US$220/kWh = US$15,400 or 22% of the base retail price.

By the time, Tesla sells base model 3, pack cost would US$150/kWh = Us

Here's another relevant tweet, in regard to the aerodynamics he says of the cD:

hopefully 0.21

Compare with 0.24 on the Model S and X.

My own math on this subject... subject to error :)

The 85KWh Model S has a 265-mile EPA range based on 291Wh/mile, i.e., using up 77KWh to do 265 miles, and leaving 8KW behind (or 9% of the battery) for reserves.

If the Model 3 also used up 291Wh/mile, it would take 69KWh to travel 215 miles, assuming a 9% reserve.

But, with its narrower tires and improved aerodynamics and power electronics... let's assume the Model 3 can use as little as 250Wh/mile. (this is 55mph, level ground at sea level, etc. etc. per the usual range criteria for Model S).

It would use about 53KWh for 215 miles, and with 9% in reserve that would be a 60KWh battery.

If the Model 3 uses even less than 250Wh/mile - perhaps 200Wh/mile - it could go further, or require a smaller battery.

Totally agree with this, however this still means (at least) 7.5kWh per module. Using the current design & S85 chemistry, each module in the M3 would have to have 30% more volume to provide 7.5kWh, but as the car has a smaller footprint this does not seem likely.

More_zpsjtw5jqej.jpg

Totally agree with this, however this still means (at least) 7.5kWh per module. Using the current design & S85 chemistry, each module in the M3 would have to have 30% more volume to provide 7.5kWh, but as the car has a smaller footprint this does not seem likely.

S100 chemistry and wider/taller cells? But I don't see how you get 7.5kWh. There's at least 8 bricks, maybe 1-2 more under the rear seat. Even if it's 50kWh with a 4kWh buffer, that's still 6.75kWh/brick