Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we are planning on a new vehicle purchase in about two years. Right now we lean towards the longer range Leaf SL as Ángels wants another hatchback like our existing leaf. We are considering the shorter range less expensive model 3 Tesla though (when available) and are thinking about putting down 1000 bucks just to put ourselves on the list. However timing is everything and we don’t want to buy before spring 2020. Any speculation on when we should plunck down our 1000 bucks so the invitation to configure shows up per our timetable? I know no one has a crystal ball but I suspect there are those here who follow this kind of thing much closer than us.

Thanks in advance and happy Easter.

I dont get it. I have the confirmation email and paid them the deposit.

Very strange

Got the same thing today. Account is in my name and email. My wife (alternate contact) got the initial invite email last Tuesday. I signed into my account, configured and paid. I then changed my wife’s alternate contact email to my email address in the account. So today I get an email at my email address addressed to my wife reminding her to configure. Go figure. Maybe just a bulk reminder to everyone invited? I’ll call tomorrow just to confirm.

I'm now again leaning to ordering. I've read all the pro's and cons and there's good arguments both ways.

I had a P85D loaner for a few days since I was thinking about upgrading to get AP and they know I'm not a yahoo -- so it was not limited. I drove it in the pouring rain, to my cabin and back, and while it gripped better than my S85, there's also something to be said for a RWD if you know how to handle it and steer into slides. In my view, they are more fun to drive but AWD is more safe. I had an old Firebird when I was a student and drove it with often not the best of tread. I've learned how to use momentum and to turn into slides -- not away -- and be easy on the brakes. Regen changed it a bit but the same applies. So I'm telling myself I am fine with RWD. As to resale value, that's not a consideration to me at all. That's not to say I'm a fool with my money. Quite the contrary. But this is vehicle -- not an investment.

I'm going to give it another day or so to think about it but "buy now" is currently winning out in my head. My daughters are coming back from University soon and another EV would sure come in handy for the summer, especially when going to our cabin and back, since our Leaf is, well, a Leaf so it can't really go anywhere.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Got the same thing today. Account is in my name and email. My wife (alternate contact) got the initial invite email last Tuesday. I signed into my account, configured and paid. I then changed my wife’s alternate contact email to my email address in the account. So today I get an email at my email address addressed to my wife reminding her to configure. Go figure. Maybe just a bulk reminder to everyone invited? I’ll call tomorrow just to confirm.
Ya.. im planning on calling Tesla today too.

want to make sure everything is in order. Can't wait to finally get the car!

Reactions: 03DSG
OK..

Update on the email issue.

I called Tesla HQ today and they said that it's their automated email system that doesn't actually know whether or not you have actually placed your order. He told me they had this issue a few weeks ago, but not to worry as Tesla knows that the order has been placed.

I also asked about if they have applied for the Ontario EVIP and he confirmed that they have and there should be an update soon to have Model 3 added to the list of approved vehicles.

OK..

I called Tesla HQ today and they said that it's their automated email system that doesn't actually know whether or not you have actually placed your order. He told me they had this issue a few weeks ago, but not to worry as Tesla knows that the order has been placed.

I also asked about if they have applied for the Ontario EVIP and he confirmed that they have and there should be an update soon to have Model 3 added to the list of approved vehicles.
You should have asked him about AWD while he was answering so many questions!

that's what he told me....

I couldn't believe it myself, but he said that it's beginning production. He said I should expect to see my VIN in 3 to 5 weeks with delivery in 4 to 8.

I think he may be misinformed.. but who knows...

That's awesome. I have a feeling they're going to ship to Canada in the middle of the quarter and then deliver the last bunch within the states (just easier to hit targets since the delivery is closer to the factory). Therefore middle of May would be my guess for us. it's already been a week since we configured too so 5 more weeks only i hope.
More so for my friends. They're so tired of hearing me talk about it daily at this point. LOL

Same with me. My emergency contact got the invite to configure. Weird.

OK..

Same with me. My emergency contact got the invite to configure. Weird.

I called Tesla today as well and got the same answer. Basically a bulk email. He said we would hear more in 3 to 6 weeks. Pretty canned answers but makes sense this early.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I'm now again leaning to ordering. I've read all the pro's and cons and there's good arguments both ways.

I had a P85D loaner for a few days since I was thinking about upgrading to get AP and they know I'm not a yahoo -- so it was not limited. I drove it in the pouring rain, to my cabin and back, and while it gripped better than my S85, there's also something to be said for a RWD if you know how to handle it and steer into slides. In my view, they are more fun to drive but AWD is more safe. I had an old Firebird when I was a student and drove it with often not the best of tread. I've learned how to use momentum and to turn into slides -- not away -- and be easy on the brakes. Regen changed it a bit but the same applies. So I'm telling myself I am fine with RWD. As to resale value, that's not a consideration to me at all. That's not to say I'm a fool with my money. Quite the contrary. But this is vehicle -- not an investment.

I'm going to give it another day or so to think about it but "buy now" is currently winning out in my head. My daughters are coming back from University soon and another EV would sure come in handy for the summer, especially when going to our cabin and back, since our Leaf is, well, a Leaf so it can't really go anywhere.

Do you have an invitation to configure yet? I haven't heard of any in BC. I'm an owner, my Dad isn't and we are both waiting... but I'm pretty sure I want a stripped base model for my 10km commute to work.

Do you have an invitation to configure yet?

Yes, of course. Do you really think I'd be fretting like this if I didn't get an invite? I almost wish I didn't. I've configured it about 30 times but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe tomorrow. I'm still deciding if I need AWD or not.

Yes, some BC previous owners have been invited to configure:

My mother, who is not a Tesla owner like me but also lives in BC, also got an invite to configure. We both reserved (separately) on day 1. My mother is waiting for the short range battery.

Reactions: Lon12

Just go for it..... I felt so much better when I did.
My only problem now is I placed my order April 1 and my wife doesn’t know whether to believe me.

Last edited: