Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Caravan Icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my M3LR back from Tesla Dartford where they were correcting my clicking front suspension. Now it's got this bright red caravan icon on the screen and I have no idea what it means or how to get rid of it. I rebooted, came straight back. I did a factory reset, came back after 20 minutes or so. I have the tow hitch (which I've never used). I enabled and disabled tow mode (it was already disabled). Nothing. Any ideas?

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-13_22-6-18.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-13_22-6-18.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 410
It thinks you are towing but with a lighting fault.

Do you have tow hitch?
I do have the tow hitch but I've never used it. I'll have to go and have a look.
While they had the car they also did the wiring loom fix for water ingress (even though I've never had a problem, but I assume they're doing it pre-emptively to all cars) -- I wonder if they didn't plug something in properly? What a pest if that's the case!

I presume this is part of the "trailer lamp test" facility that tow cars are supposed to have.
However the testing used is often based on the resistive loading of filament bulbs.

If you are using a new lighting board with LED lamps it will fail the lamp test because they don't draw enough current.
To fiddle things Ebay and the like often sell "Canbus" resistors to put in parallel with at least some of the lamps to fool the test.
Unfortunately these "Canbus" resistors are typically very low, like 6 ohms, totally wasting power.

I shall be experimenting with these loading resistors when I get my own car to play with.

@Neilman I recently upgraded my trailer to LED's and the trailer is correctly sensed and stays blue when plugged in so no problem using LED's.
My beef is that with all the technology this car has, my recently repainted/rebuilt lockdown trailer is greeted with a rather stumpy caravan icon when plugged in.

Surely the reversing camera could recognise a working trailer from a gypsy caravan! :p:D

I realised today that my left blinker is blinking at a much faster rate than the right blinker. So they definitely broke something when readjusting that wiring loom it would seem. I have a ranger booked in a couple of weeks. Bit annoying that you take it in for one thing, and they break another.

Reactions: MrBadger
I realised today that my left blinker is blinking at a much faster rate than the right blinker. So they definitely broke something when readjusting that wiring loom it would seem. I have a ranger booked in a couple of weeks. Bit annoying that you take it in for one thing, and they break another.

Presumably they are synchronised if you switch the hazard flashers on?
At a fast or slow rate?

Request Mobile service

Presumably they are synchronised if you switch the hazard flashers on?
At a fast or slow rate?
Synchronised at the slow rate.

The mobile ranger came and disassembled the rear of the car (dropped the bumper, did some stuff inside the boot), and determined that the circuitboard that handles the tow hitch electrics is damaged (apparently it was over-tightened at the factory and therefore was physically damaged). Now waiting on parts and new mobile ranger appointment mid-September. I remain skeptical as the error only appeared after Tesla did the preventive wiring loom relocation work, but hopefully will get fixed.

In a new wrinkle, the left blinkers are back to their normal speed, and I'm not sure if it was after the mobile ranger, or if it was after I got 2020.32.3 (a few days after).

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger