Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cars in Tesla stores BEFORE we can order our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think I'm impatient?
Well, I believe you did preface many of your earliest posts by noting by way of disclaimer you were going to fill as much of the time between your Reservation for Model ☰ and its Delivery with posts here... That did seem to have a strong note of impatience, though borne rather well. I think that set the table for a perception of your disposition and has carried over even when you don't mention it. Please, forgive us if that has been an inappropriate observation.

Reactions: dsvick
How many people believe that Tesla is operating the same exact way they did when the MS came online?
Yes. And... NO.

I believe Tesla is constantly evaluating themselves and their processes both internally and externally. They are always looking for a 'better way' to do everything. Not satisfied with Consumer Reports declaring the Model S "The best car we have ever tested..." they have been constantly improving the car on all fronts. Elon Musk noted those changes had continued at a rate of around twenty per week, and he said that over a year after Consumer Reports' review.

That said, Tesla has also learned what processes do NOT work well and has certainly abandoned them in many cases. The point is that they don't simply presume something will not work without evidence that proves that to be the case. You can't change the world by doing things the same way they have always been done. Either by others, or even yourself. You must adapt to the data you have before you and act accordingly to change course as needed as a correction that will get you to your intended goal.

However, I will say this. As of this moment...there is no reason to have a M3 in stores. Tesla has sold (through reservations) more than a years worth of production of M3's already. So they really aren't having to promote the M3.
Oh, there are reasons. They just might not be of any concern to you, personally. One must recognize that not everyone feels the same way, or is as comfortable purchasing unseen as you or I may be. This is how I replied to a similar query:

Redmiata98 asked, "Hmm, they did not do it with the X, why do you think they will with the three?"

I think it is more necessary with the Model ☰ than with any vehicle Tesla Motors has released thus far. Not so much to get new business, or even to confirm current Reservations, so much as it is to prove they are a 'REAL Car Company'. It would be a great way to shut up the incessant Tesla Naysayers who have claimed since, like, FOREVER that Tesla would NEVER release a mass market car. Plus, there are people who really don't 'see' things on a computer monitor very well (I used to work with someone who had to print out all their e-mail messages to read them), they literally have to see things in three dimensions directly before them to get a sense of scale and reality.

It wouldn't take much to manage. There are currently about 99 Tesla Stores/Galleries in the U.S. If Tesla manages to prevail in their court case against Michigan's Regulators and Elected Officials, they may be able to double that quantity through this time next year. So, they could send two cars to each location, a total of maybe 400 vehicles as demo cars by the end of 2017. Since their goal is to reach as many as 500,000 units per year, at 50 weeks per year, 400 cars comes to only 1/25th of a week's Production. And, those demo cars could be replaced periodically as they were sold at Retail. One car to sit in the showroom, one to use for test drives in the Real World. When the test drive car is sold, the showroom car is put into test drive service, and a new showroom car is Delivered. Tesla loses nothing.

This was just part of my reply. Here is the link to the whole thing if you'd like to see it:

Last edited:
Reactions: dsvick
Yes. And... NO.

I believe Tesla is constantly evaluating themselves and their processes both internally and externally. They are always looking for a 'better way' to do everything. Not satisfied with Consumer Reports declaring the Model S "The best car we have ever tested..." they have been constantly improving the car on all fronts. Elon Musk noted those changes had continued at a rate of around twenty per week, and he said that over a year after Consumer Reports' review.

I agree and that was my point. In many ways Tesla is operating much better than it had in the past. There is no way that Tesla is getting the excellent ratings it's getting concerning customer feedback without customer satisfaction. That's why I disdain all of the references back to historical flaws and folks thinking that Tesla is repeating its past. They have ramped up things like production at a 50% clip...thereby reaching committed dates all over the place.

Reactions: Red Sage
In business though....money shortens time. Tesla has a lot of it or at least access to it. I wonder why the Tesla time is still so stretched out.
You keep posting stuff like this and then wonder why people perceive your as anxious?

I agree that there are "some" projects like growing plants and or organic type projects that cant be impacted financially , however this isn't one of those. Manufacturing is one that you can throw money at and/or place competitive compensation against 2 companies.
This is indeed a project that will/can have money thrown at it to lessen the timeline.
There are critcal paths that can't be mitigated by money. Besides, they have already cut yheir estimated time (which analysts considered impossible) by half!

Garlan:
Dive into the nearest (heated) pool. Take a deep breath, then put your head underwater and stay there as long as you can. Start counting. 30 seconds? A minute?
I believe Tesla's "urgency" in getting the Model 3 into production is not too different from the urgency you would feel to come up for air.
Robin
Try throwing more money at your urgency for a breath!

Reactions: Red Sage
You keep posting stuff like this and then wonder why people perceive your as anxious?

There are critcal paths that can't be mitigated by money. Besides, they have already cut yheir estimated time (which analysts considered impossible) by half!

Try throwing more money at your urgency for a breath!
I'm not trying to emote my urgency or not. I will assure you that I'm as calm as a cucumber on this. That does not mean that my views have changed.

Truthfully it does not matter if I'm urgent or not.. Who really cares? Why do you care so much about my demeanor?

I have responded to the topic and stand firm on my opinion. Money does talk and that can't be disputed. You can argue with the truth if you want, but its futile. Maybe that's why you have diverted the conversation to me and how I appear to be. lol.

Would be best if they build half a dozen model 3's and do a tour rather than sending one to each tesla store -- that way i can get my car a day or 2 quicker

if tesla doesn't have them available to check out prior to purchase, hopefully some early reservation holders will help out those of us who took 2 weeks to get wife approval.
I would be find with youtube videos and the website where i can fiddle with all the options

I was looking for something else tonite when I stumbled across this on the Model 3 FAQ page....

When can I test drive Model 3?
We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production at the end of 2017. In the meantime, we invite you to stop by a Tesla store to experience Model S or Model X.

I was looking for something else tonite when I stumbled across this on the Model 3 FAQ page....

When can I test drive Model 3?
We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production at the end of 2017. In the meantime, we invite you to stop by a Tesla store to experience Model S or Model X.
Which is less than helpful on their part since, of course you can't have test drive car until you've started production.

Which is less than helpful on their part since, of course you can't have test drive car until you've started production.
It answers the question of the OP. Yes, you will be able to test drive in store before you buy.

The timeline has not be released. It will be interesting to see how they handle the first reservations. Since most will be in California, colocating the first test drives there makes sense.

Surely some will slip through the cracks; others may not care to take a test drive. The demand for a test drive, given the number of reservations, will be high.

It answers the question of the OP. Yes, you will be able to test drive in store before you buy.
No, that's not what it says. For people that will be early in the production there is no guarantee they'll be able to test drive before they are allowed to configure. Early reservation holders will, more than likely, be asked to configure several weeks (at least) before production begins.

Is there any opportunity that a test drive would be bad enough to deter someone from making the purchase? My answer = No. With that said...I have a question:

If you drove or saw a real M3 in a store.....what could deter you from buying it? If indeed its a slightly smaller MS ( which you can see at any time) ...what could deter you?

Truthfully it does not matter if I'm urgent or not.. Who really cares? Why do you care so much about my demeanor?
I am not concerned, but you had said:
Why do you think I'm impatient?
so it seemed to be an issue for you.

I think most of us on this board are pretty excited by EV developments. The ICE/EV tide seems to changing at an increasing rate.

No, that's not what it says. For people that will be early in the production there is no guarantee they'll be able to test drive before they are allowed to configure. Early reservation holders will, more than likely, be asked to configure several weeks (at least) before production begins.

Aren't the employees going to be at the front of the line? And at a couple thousand cars a week I can't see them not getting them to showrooms pretty quickly.

Aren't the employees going to be at the front of the line? And at a couple thousand cars a week I can't see them not getting them to showrooms pretty quickly.
Yes, employees are at the front, I'm not sure why that matters though unless your saying that it's ok that they don't get to test drive?

All I'm saying is that regardless of how fast they produce them, it is unlikely that they'll have some at every showroom so that everyone can test drive one before they configure.

I agree and that was my point. In many ways Tesla is operating much better than it had in the past. There is no way that Tesla is getting the excellent ratings it's getting concerning customer feedback without customer satisfaction. That's why I disdain all of the references back to historical flaws and folks thinking that Tesla is repeating its past. They have ramped up things like production at a 50% clip...thereby reaching committed dates all over the place.

Actually that was my point as well. I pointed out how they did things with the Model S to refute the posts of "They don't have early test drive cars" that just referred to the Model X rollout as evidence. The fact is that for each of the 3 cars they have released so far the rollout has been completely different, so to assume the 3 rollout will be anything like the X rollout is unwarranted.

Personally I believe they are likely to have fairly early test drive cars. The X was extremely production limited. With the 3, providing test drive cars to all their stores should delay deliveries by less than a week even early in the ramp.

I expect they will fill the first orders (employees, current owners) who are willing to confirm sight unseen - then move on to non-employees/owners who are willing to confirm sight unseen.

Perhaps simultaneously with the first batches of non-owners, they will send cars to stores for test drives. But if they have enough people willing to confirm without a test drive, I could see them waiting to send cars to stores as confirmed orders slow - then invite reservation holders to "meet the model 3" events as they did for the X.

I expect they will fill the first orders (employees, current owners) who are willing to confirm sight unseen - then move on to non-employees/owners who are willing to confirm sight unseen.

Perhaps simultaneously with the first batches of non-owners, they will send cars to stores for test drives. But if they have enough people willing to confirm without a test drive, I could see them waiting to send cars to stores as confirmed orders slow - then invite reservation holders to "meet the model 3" events as they did for the X.
Tesla already made all of those promises.