Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 charging limited near 50 kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So while it is correct that a cold soaked battery charges at a reduced rate, I believe a reduced ambient temp (i.e., 40 degrees as opposed to 70 degrees) also results in a reduced charging rate.

Definitely not. I charged at Superchargers over 800 times in every possible condition. Cold ambient temps do not slow it down. A cold battery charges slower but if the battery has a decent temperature the supercharger itself doesn’t mind cold temperatures.

Charge rates are limited by battery state of charge, if you’re using a paired stall, and sometimes if the supercharger needs service. It’s definitiely not a “Model 3 limiting” thing. Model 3 supercharging starts at about 115 kW and generally doesn’t drop below 100 kW until past 50% state of charge.

Anyway, how is 50 kW barely faster than your home charging? AC charging with Model 3 tops out at 11.5 kW. That’s if you’re charging at 48A with a HPWC.

The slowest I've ever seen my car charge (at ~50% SOC) is 70 kW at one of the "city" superchargers which are rated for 72 kW. The one I regularly visit is rock solid at 117 kW. There must be something up with the superchargers you guys are visiting. Granted my battery temp has probably never fallen below 90 degrees F since I got the car in April... it's been warm basically it's entirely life with me.

upload_2018-8-5_20-59-2.jpeg

Almost 90 F and 47 percent SOC held 100kw+ till about 60 percent then tapered down. This was right after a 60 mile interstate run at 78 mph.

Reactions: Acps110 and MP3Mike
I charged at a Supercharger for the first time today in my model 3 and fluctuated between 48-50kw, I was at about half charge on the LR model and it was quite hot out. I’m a bit surprised to see that so many others are seeing the same charge rates as it seems to confirm an M3 limiting, barely quicker than my home charger.
Probably sharing a pair with someone charging at 70-80 kW.

How can I maximize power and reduce charge time at a Supercharger?
Each charge post is labeled with a number and letter, either A or B (e.g. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B). When possible, select a charge post with a unique number that is not currently connected to a vehicle. When a unique number isn’t available, the Supercharger cabinet has technology to share available power between charge posts A and B. To maximize power, park at a Supercharger shared with a car that is nearly done charging. For Superchargers in urban areas, there is no need to consider these suggestions, as those sites do not share available power; each car has dedicated power available.

Supercharging

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
This thread is disturbing. I certainly hope that this is just a bad Supercharger issue and not an issue with some vehicles being locked. Some model 3s charge merrily along at near max (~116-117kW) up to around 50% SoC, with the average user (from data we were getting in the early days) seeing taper starting at an average of 40-45% or so SoC - but we did get the occasional report of taper starting much lower (Bjørn Nyland being a famous case).

Anyone whose vehicle performs far below this needs to be raising a fuss. And we need to be hearing the outcomes of the investigation into this problem. The worst case would be if Tesla had started nerfing all new Model 3s. That would make this vehicle vastly less desirable. I'll be extremely upset if I get my vehicle and it's nerfed to a permanent max of ~50kW like a bloody Leaf. :Þ

(Remember, it's not about charge rate, but charge rate relative to state of charge. To know if you have a problem, you need to start charging at as low of a SoC in an unpaired stall as you feel comfortable with, and then record your charge profile at least up to the point that the taper clearly begins).

Last edited:
This thread is disturbing. I certainly hope that this is just a bad Supercharger issue and not an issue with some vehicles being locked.

The issue can have many sources. I have seen slower than normal charge rates many times due to all kinds of problem that are not car related. Especially when it's warm outside like it has been in the last 2 months.

When I got my back in 2014, every Supercharger I visited delivered full power. These days Tesla seems to be much more careful and I and many others seen a reduced charge rate more often. It's happening across all cars, old or new. Out of all cars the Model 3 is capable of charging the fastest, faster than any Supercharger can deliver right now. That's why I doubt there is a fundamental issue with the car.

Almost every time I've supercharged, it's topped out above 115kw. As others have mentioned, you're probably sharing current with the car next to you, your battery is well over 50% SoC, or your battery temp was high. The superchargers around me (in CO) haven't been very busy when I've been there so it's been easy to not be next to another car.

Sorry about reviving a stale thread, but I wanted to pick everyone’s brains...

At the Culver City supercharger, my LR RWD 3 used to get 100+ kW when starting between 30-50% SOC on an unpaired stall, and then it would taper down to 50-70 kW as I reached 70-85% SOC (approximately). Granted, this was with warmer weather...outside temps in the 70s when charging (summer evenings).

These days, even on unpaired stalls at the same Culver City supercharger, I’m lucky to get above 50 kW starting at 40% SOC. It rarely exceeds 50, and is usually in the low 30s kW. Ambient temp is around high 50s, low 60s since it’s a bit colder now.

Anyone experience the same thing for their 3? Is this totally normal behavior, or something to ask a service advisor about?

At the Culver City supercharger, my LR RWD 3 used to get 100+ kW when starting between 30-50% SOC on an unpaired stall, and then it would taper down to 50-70 kW as I reached 70-85% SOC (approximately). Granted, this was with warmer weather...outside temps in the 70s when charging (summer evenings).

These days, even on unpaired stalls at the same Culver City supercharger, I’m lucky to get above 50 kW starting at 40% SOC. It rarely exceeds 50, and is usually in the low 30s kW. Ambient temp is around high 50s, low 60s since it’s a bit colder now.

Anyone experience the same thing for their 3? Is this totally normal behavior, or something to ask a service advisor about?

Realistically, only Tesla could answer the question as to why it's giving so little power. If it's a vehicle limit there might be some useful CAN bus data, but if it's on the SC side, only Tesla can answer as to what's going on.

Reactions: flyingpenguins

Your next stop at a different supercharger will answer the question for sure, but it’s almost always a supercharger problem rather than a car problem. When you’re at a supercharger with low output, call Tesla to report it. Sometimes they can tell you a better stall to switch to and it’s always good to report it so they can get it repaired.

See this very long thread:
Some California Superchargers not providing maximum charging rates

Last edited:
Reactions: flyingpenguins
It all depends on battery temp. Tesla’s can supercharge perfectly well in freezing weather without any reduction in charge rate.

I also noticed OP was listed in Downers Grove, IL. Know the area and no doubt winter temps there now. If his car was cold driving there it will definitely affect how fast it will charge. Just like in the summer with temps in the 90-100s and pulling in after driving a bit at a Supercharger in the heat of the day, you can expect your car to sound like a jet engine taking off. At least our MS experienced that, haven't had my Model 3 during a summer yet but expect the same to be true.

BTW we were at an urban charger yesterday in East Palo Alto, CA with our MS and we were getting a max 70kW rate.

Has anyone else noticed a supercharge rate at or near 50 kW as a maximum lately?

The car charged near 100 kW when I first got it but over the past 2-3 weeks I have have between 54 and 40 kW - tonight the battery was completely warm after driving 90 minutes and charging at 48 amps another hour (temp was 40° at the time).

It seems like a governor is on the car somehow - what do you think is the reason for the (relatively) low charge rate?
No I have been able to charge very fast at 110 kW or 488 miles/hour. 691F7351-5A05-4D57-B529-30F1F63DFD76.png

Stop with the conspiracy theories about slow supercharging to discourage use. There are many threads here with dozens of posts about superchargers that are slow. Then Tesla fixes them and they are fast again. If you encounter a supercharger that seems abnormally slow, call Tesla and report it. They can also tell you which stalls to switch to for a higher rate.
What's the number to call and report a charger broken or malfunctioning and not have to wait 30 mins to speak to someone????