Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our company is installing a few car charging points.

Would this be suitable for charging Model 3's?

upload_2019-10-23_13-39-40.png

Tia
Darren

Yes you can use the type 2 socket, but you'd need to use your own cable. The Model 3 comes with one, although there have been reports that the stock is low so you might not get a cable when you collect the car, but they will post it out to you when the stock arrives at the service centre.

Model 3 should charge at 11kW using this charger, which is useful (that's the max the M3 can do on AC charging). Rapid charging (50kW and above) requires DC (CCS). The fact that the AC charger can deliver 22kW is of no benefit to the Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
Thanks guys...

We can get cables, thats not an issue.

We release that the max the M3 could take is 11kw, but its the same price for the 22kw and we want to cater for other cars too. There is a BMW 225xe & BMW 530e in the fleet too.

Darren

Also your charge point will presumably last beyond the current fleet of cars, and we don't know what's coming. So at no extra cost a bit of extra power might prove worth having.

Current Model S will show up to 17-18kw on the screen from a 3 phase charger although I think its specced at 16kw so that might just be reading a bit over.

Are you getting free or subsidised charging?

I looked at the Rolec ::EV Charge Online:: website and not very impressed at lack of info for a local charge point without having to sign up. Had to look on plugshare for pricing info and it was 30p/kWh and you needed £5 minimum topup whatever that means. Personally I am not interested in companies that require a credit on account on off chance that I may need it some point in future - plenty of alternatives. As my wife said, why pay to charge at work when you can charge cheaper and more conveniently at home (there is irony in that statement) - there will be exceptions.