Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 chassis torsional rigidity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen a spec for this?

It's not often discussed, but impacts every aspect of a car's ride and handling, among other things. To me, the Model 3's chassis feels quite stout, but that could also just be the heft and location of the battery pack...

Can anyone shed any light on this topic?

Well, one thing folks have reported that would seem to imply rigidity is they can jack the car up at just one lift point and get both wheels on that side off the ground. Cars I’ve had in the past would not do that.
Were they made of paper mâché? :p You must be thinking of suspension articulation, for example on a Jeep set up for rock crawling you'd have to lift one corner very high off the ground to get the other wheel off the ground.
This list claims that the Model S is 19,000Nm/deg (14,000ft-lb/deg): Car Body Torsional Rigidity – A Comprehensive List (Updated 01/20/2019) | YouWheel - Your Car Expert

Reactions: Adopado
Well, one thing folks have reported that would seem to imply rigidity is they can jack the car up at just one lift point and get both wheels on that side off the ground. Cars I’ve had in the past would not do that.
^This^
Really to drive it home- even if you have 2 jacks, try to jack up one at a time, a little at a time, and I think you'll find it very hard not to accidently lift the other wheel off the other jack!

Were they made of paper mâché? :p You must be thinking of suspension articulation, for example on a Jeep set up for rock crawling you'd have to lift one corner very high off the ground to get the other wheel off the ground.
This list claims that the Model S is 19,000Nm/deg (14,000ft-lb/deg): Car Body Torsional Rigidity – A Comprehensive List (Updated 01/20/2019) | YouWheel - Your Car Expert
No, you are wrong.

there are quite a few cars that will flex the body a bunch instead of picking up a wheel

Curious to know this as well. I had a Honda S2000 years ago, and I remember when that car was released it had one of the most rigid bodies on the market. My 3 feels more rigid than that car.
If you look at the list I posted the S2000 has the rigidity of a wet noodle. Convertibles are inherently floppy.
There is no way the chassis rigidity on a functional car would prevent you from lifting two wheels from a single jackpoint. You’re talking about inches of deformation of the unibody. The distortion would cause the doors to scrape against the frame and all the glass in the car to shatter.

If you look at the list I posted the S2000 has the rigidity of a wet noodle. Convertibles are inherently floppy.
There is no way the chassis rigidity on a functional car would prevent you from lifting two wheels from a single jackpoint. You’re talking about inches of deformation of the unibody. The distortion would cause the doors to scrape against the frame and all the glass in the car to shatter.
Ah, I fell for their marketing hype!!

"
HIGHLY RIGID BODY AND FRAME
The S2000's highly rigid body and frame are major contributors to its excellent handling characteristics. In fact, the S2000 exhibits bending and torsional rigidity (especially important for good handling) better than many closed-top sports cars.

Designing such a strong structure for the S2000 posed additional challenges, because open-topped vehicles have inherently less bending and torsional rigidity. This problem can best be illustrated by removing the lid of a shoe box, and then twisting both its ends in opposite directions. The box twists easily. However, if you repeat the operation with the top in place, you immediately notice how much stiffer the enclosed box has become."