Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same click on my October 2019 purchased Model 3 with about 15,000 miles on it. Took it to Tesla service yesterday. Only had to wait about 2 weeks for an appointment.

Spoke with the service guy who said he greased both axles. It was covered under warranty, but I'm only about 4 months out from warranty expiration. The service guy additionally said that this is a recommended service item every 20,000 miles or 2 years. Funny but I haven't seen this recommendation anywhere. But implies that they know it will return. Also said a new half shaft is about $5000. Ouch!!

My initial thought when the service guy told me the shaft was splined was, "Is there really that much play in the mating surfaces?" I tend to agree with @chinnam3 that any play in the splines would lead to early wear. Or is @Proflig8tor right? What is Tesla's design intent for this assembly?

Same click on my October 2019 purchased Model 3 with about 15,000 miles on it. Took it to Tesla service yesterday. Only had to wait about 2 weeks for an appointment.

Spoke with the service guy who said he greased both axles. It was covered under warranty, but I'm only about 4 months out from warranty expiration. The service guy additionally said that this is a recommended service item every 20,000 miles or 2 years. Funny but I haven't seen this recommendation anywhere. But implies that they know it will return. Also said a new half shaft is about $5000. Ouch!!

My initial thought when the service guy told me the shaft was splined was, "Is there really that much play in the mating surfaces?" I tend to agree with @chinnam3 that any play in the splines would lead to early wear. Or is @Proflig8tor right? What is Tesla's design intent for this assembly?
Thanks for this tidbit of information.

I had my rear half shafts re-lubricated at the end of Sep 2022 and the noise started again in March 2023; local SC can’t reproduce as the sound isn’t always there…but under certain conditions when loading/unloading the half shafts, the clinking has come back.

That's what he said. Maybe he was referring to both shafts, but that was not explicitly stated.

The service tech who performed the repair said he'd been working at the service location about 3 months and has done over 20 re-greasings.
He must have misspoken. A high quality aftermarket half shaft would be $300-500. I'm seeing used OEM shafts for $125-150.

Reactions: navguy12
He must have misspoken. A high quality aftermarket half shaft would be $300-500. I'm seeing used OEM shafts for $125-150.
The Tesla service center isn't likely to use an aftermarket shaft, and I don't have the experience to install one myself. I have no idea what the part charge is for a new one. Apparently their hourly rate is $195/hr, but I also don't know how long it would take to replace. Is this something that can be done at your local independent mechanic?

I do think that the guy who handles intake and return of cars and presents invoices to customers likely knows how much any given repair will cost though. At least through the Tesla repair process.

Mine is a 2018 May LR as well, have had this issue a while back but I've always thought it was my lug nuts being slightly under torque.
But recently it has become a double click and I can even hear it clicking at low speed driving.

I am wondering if any of you with the problem has aftermarket suspension components such as lowering spring...etc.
I am curious to what service would do if they see your aftermarket suspension even knowing the axle clicking is a known issue and shouldn't have anything to do with your aftermarket modification.

My car is on full air suspension and I am debating rather or not return to factory form prior to taking it in. I would MUCH rather leaving it as is if I can.

Meanwhile, i will try removing the 32mm axle nut and give a some grease to see if it helps, I have already tried torqueing it down, didn't seem to help.

Thanks in advanced

My car is out of warranty, willing to pay everything out of pocket, yet SF Tesla still refused to even look at this issue because I'm on lowering springs. Simply ridiculous! I even told them exactly what the fix was based on what I've found online. No go! My previous Audi S4 had even more aftermarket suspension plus was chipped, and dealer never blinked an eye.

I also jus found this:

What do you think about that guy’s fix?

Thank you for sharing the link to this video! With Tesla refusing to look at my car, I had no other option but to attempt the fix myself and used this video as my guide. Relatively simple fix and the annoying clicking is finally gone! Will see how long it lasts. My only question is, for those who have done this themselves, after pounding the axle spline into the hub it was never loose enough to push in/out with my thumb like in the video. What does that mean?

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12