Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow I have the exact same "tick" on my model3 (LR AWD). Since the temperature outside is warmer I can drive with no HVAC, no music, window down. I hear the tick from my rear left side. Brother confirm sound did not come from right rear side.

I will definitly have to bring this to tesla services now

Wow I have the exact same "tick" on my model3 (LR AWD). Since the temperature outside is warmer I can drive with no HVAC, no music, window down. I hear the tick from my rear left side. Brother confirm sound did not come from right rear side.

I will definitly have to bring this to tesla services now
Yup, welcome to the club! :D Mine is also on the rear left.

Here's what was done. Hope this is helpful.View attachment 399815

Hello darttater,

The part you are showing from your invoice is 1115558-00-A and from the tesla parts catalog it's refering to a bolt and not the rear axl. Is there any other parts they replace from your invoice ?

If they only replace these 2 bolts and add grease. The problem will likely re-appear in the next months.

• Helpful
Reactions: bryan995
Hello darttater,

The part you are showing from your invoice is 1115558-00-A and from the tesla parts catalog it's refering to a bolt and not the rear axl. Is there any other parts they replace from your invoice ?

If they only replace these 2 bolts and add grease. The problem will likely re-appear in the next months.
When I picked up the car, the service guy told me they replaced the sway bar. But when I review the invoice, it looks like they only replace the nuts and washers and tightened them. I'll keep my ears on it and see if it comes back.

Interesting that everyone is just experiencing this issue in April. I’m taking mine in for service on Monday. I wonder if it resulted from the 5% power increase software update. Perhaps they didn’t stress test the update long enough and it’s breaking some physical component inside the car over time? Just guessing...

Got a new appointment for Tuesday 5/7, we will see what happens. I hope they don't try to treat me like some average schlub, but they might because they don't know of my extensive 20+ years of history with working on and modifying my own cars and knowing what's what with them.

Might be the axle nut, but I wonder if they sway bar is a valid excuse, as someone wrote above. I haven't seen a close up detailed diagram of the 3 rear suspension, so I don't know how the sway bar is attached. The longer the end links, the less likely it is the issue.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: ord3r and Toph
I had my appointment at the Wexford service center today. It was a quiet day there, so I was able to have their full attention and not be in a rush. I took a mechanic for a parking lot ride and he heard the clicking a few times.

After they did their checkup on the car, he said they had retorqued the axle nut and all the suspension mounting bolts. The click didn't happen at all for 30+ miles afterwards on my ride home. They mentioned they have seen this problem more with the Model S due to its extra weight and power. At 26,286 miles, they said my 3 was one of the highest mileage 3's they have seen in this service center. They did not say anything about relubricating anything.

I did ask to see the service screens, being the computer nerd that I am, but they said they couldn't. All I know is one of them got in the car, leaned over to the screen and pressed a few things (or maybe used a special key card, I did not see), and within seconds, a big red "Service Mode" was displayed across the screen.

Wanna see all the service screens!!!

There were about 30 Model 3's in the parking lot, grouped by color. The highest VIN I saw was 365,000.

I have the same click sound when accelerating and decelerating approx less than 15 mph. It’s just one click coming from rear left. I started to notice it late March 94 early April.

I’ve set an appointment with my service for May 22. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

I’m gonna try to remove the wheel and see if it’s the washer and nut that’s holding the sway bar.

I just had this same issue resolved at my service center.

It was a bad wheel bearing. Now the rear is making noise too. Wheel bearings are usually a long wearing part but I imagine hard use and hi torque will accelerate the wear.

I've never heard a wheel bearing click/pop noise. They growl when they go bad.

My guess is that you actually had the axle nut torque/lube issue and it was fixed as part of the wheel bearing replacement. Replacing the wheel bearing required them to remove/reinstall the axle nut, and they likely lubed the axle splines as part of the process too.

Reactions: T5Quad
I've never heard a wheel bearing click/pop noise. They growl when they go bad.

My guess is that you actually had the axle nut torque/lube issue and it was fixed as part of the wheel bearing replacement. Replacing the wheel bearing required them to remove/reinstall the axle nut, and they likely lubed the axle splines as part of the process too.

Quite possible, and would make more sense than a bad wheel bearing at 18k miles.

Got mine fixed yesterday in San Francisco. Took them 4 hrs. Back to new and they also applied the dual motor badge. Covered under warranty. From the receipt:

Concern: Faint clicking noise from the rear when accelerating or decelerating. Heard when the windows are down.
technician lubricated both rear axles and bearing mating surfaces, replaced and torqued axle nuts, performed road test
and verified noise no longer present
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH​