Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Cockpit Similar to LeEco LeSee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching the reveal and promo videos for the LeEco LeSee concept electric car, and I could not help but notice the similarity of the cockpit to that of the Model 3. Based on Elon's tweets comparing the real Model 3 cockpit to a spaceship, I can envision the concept Model 3 interior evolving into something similar to the LeEco LeSee, with the auto-presenting steering wheel, horizontal display, and heads-up display.

DrHUrrOTRtaCs.gif

Screen_Shot_2016_08_21_at_8_54_42_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016_08_21_at_8_55_11_PM.png

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
Auto presenting steering wheel? HELL NO. Not even if it was somehow cheap enough to put into the base model. Tesla needs to keep the III simple as they can while still making it a great car. Introducing something like that would be a disaster waiting to happen. Tesla had enough issues with their self presenting door handles in the S which is an annoying issue; but how much worse would it be if owners were stuck, unable to drive because their steering wheels self presenting hardware broke? Tesla already ****ed themselves with the FWDs and the resulting delays in production and service with the X. If they do that with a car they're hoping to sell 500k of over the next three years, they'll destroy themselves.

Auto presenting steering wheel? HELL NO. Not even if it was somehow cheap enough to put into the base model. Tesla needs to keep the III simple as they can while still making it a great car. Introducing something like that would be a disaster waiting to happen. Tesla had enough issues with their self presenting door handles in the S which is an annoying issue; but how much worse would it be if owners were stuck, unable to drive because their steering wheels self presenting hardware broke? Tesla already ****ed themselves with the FWDs and the resulting delays in production and service with the X. If they do that with a car they're hoping to sell 500k of over the next three years, they'll destroy themselves.
I'm not sure I agree. Tesla is doing just fine with their MS handles and the MX doors. They can't even produce enough of either car each month.

I'm not sure I agree. Tesla is doing just fine with their MS handles and the MX doors. They can't even produce enough of either car each month.

The issue with the handles is fine now, mostly. But it was absolutely an issue when the car first came out. The issue with the FWDs MIGHT be okay now, but at launch were absolutely awful (not to mention the delays the FWDs were directly responsible for) and were a big reason why Tesla missed their guidance. The door issue is still contributing to the overloaded service centers Tesla is dealing with right now.

The issue with the handles is fine now, mostly. But it was absolutely an issue when the car first came out. The issue with the FWDs MIGHT be okay now, but at launch were absolutely awful (not to mention the delays the FWDs were directly responsible for) and were a big reason why Tesla missed their guidance. The door issue is still contributing to the overloaded service centers Tesla is dealing with right now.
I agree. I was only commenting that Tesla has not ****' themselves and they won't if the M3 has some initial issues. Investors and customers have been extremely forgiving and there is no reason to assume that they will change.

They can't even produce enough of either car each month.

I was only commenting that Tesla has not ****' themselves ...

Your statements contradict themselves unfortunately. The added features caused production delays hence ****ing themselves (Elon admitted it himself, but not in those words). Tesla/Elon vowed not to do with the Model 3.

That said, I'm not sure how the airbags would work with an auto presenting steering wheel...

I neither want nor need door handles, doors, or steering wheels to "auto-present." This is supposed to be a car. Not an SNL skit. No cool points awarded for auto-presenting steering wheels.
And remember the NASA adage: "All complex systems operate in the failure mode."
Robin

Your statements contradict themselves unfortunately. The added features caused production delays hence ****ing themselves (Elon admitted it himself, but not in those words). Tesla/Elon vowed not to do with the Model 3.

That said, I'm not sure how the airbags would work with an auto presenting steering wheel...
No I didn't. Production misses aren't because of design errors. They are currently missing production numbers when everything has been fixed.

So.... I'm not contradicting myself.

While I doubt it will be as complicated as what OP has shown, I do think the Model 3 steering wheel will fold or move out of the way in some sort. We have to remember that the Model 3 is being designed as a self driving uber type vehicle. There is no need to have a steering wheel taking up passenger space.

Thank you.

There is no need to have a steering wheel taking up passenger space.

True, that's why the steering wheel is in front of the driver.

And yes, that was a joke, I get what you are saying although I don't necessarily agree with you.

While I doubt it will be as complicated as what OP has shown, I do think the Model 3 steering wheel will fold or move out of the way in some sort. We have to remember that the Model 3 is being designed as a self driving uber type vehicle. There is no need to have a steering wheel taking up passenger space.

We don't know if that's the case at all. Musk said eventually that would be true for Tesla vehicles, but he didn't say it would be the III and it's highly doubtful that the software will be ready by next year. And it's virtually certain that laws won't be ready for full autonomy. Tesla would also be opening up their asses to huge liability issues if they let you move the steering wheel out of the way or fold away. It's a lot harder to argue that drivers are responsible for their own vehicles if you let them operate the car with the steering wheel stowed away. The Model III will be difficult enough to get out on schedule without having to worry about adding in more complexity and points of failure by trying to make it fully autonomous.

The Uber like self driving vehicle will probably be the vehicle after the III, and maybe the Y or will be the next gen versions of the SEXY line. We are years away from the laws being worked out to allow cars to drive without drivers. Even the "driverless" cars that Uber and Lyft want to put out there (Uber is testing a hundred or so already) will be required to have drivers sitting in the driver seats and ready to take over for the foreseeable future. Tesla would be idiotic if they introduced the III with a retractable steering wheel.

Reactions: DavidP and Topher
No I didn't. Production misses aren't because of design errors. They are currently missing production numbers when everything has been fixed.
I forget, how many years was the model X delayed because of the falcon wing doors? Prime example of shooting oneself in the foot by adding too much too quickly. It's not necessarily about design errors as it is about errors in judgement leading to delays.

Current misses are due to previous shortages on parts. Elon's response to the cause of the shortages:

We put too many new features and technologies, too many great things all at once into a product. I do think there was some hubris there with the X. The net result, however, is that I think the Model X is an amazing car. Honestly, I think it's probably, I think it's the best car ever. I'm not sure anyone's going to make a car like this again.

Basically, he's saying they accidentally ****'ed themselves, but no worries, it's worth it! :)

It looks like everything is running fairly smoothly at the moment since those issues have been resolved. He admitted Tesla is not going to make that mistake again with the Model 3 so they designed it to keep manufacturing simple. Adding a mechanical self-presenting steering wheel sounds like it would be a bad move, totally opposite of what was promised.

Last edited:
No, the M3 is being designed and built as a more affordable, mass market, car that will help drive the world to more sustainable transportation. In order to do that the car has to appeal to a wide range of buyers. Adding things like self presenting steering wheels while cool to some, would be very unappealing to others and would end up relegating the car to the "it's for tech geeks" pile where regular users would not be interested in buying it.