Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 coming soon to the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw additional charging cables at Heathrow Hilton Terminal 5 SCs...
IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG

Yeah, strange that! I too noticed it but was wondering what it really meant..

I think it means arguments are on the way! For me as an S driver, if I arrive and there is a standard stall available without sharing I’ll take that one. If there isn’t a standard stall without having to share and an unshared “priority” 3 stall is available I’ll take that one. If I have to share I’ll try and avoid using a “priority” 3 stall.

What it definitely doesn’t mean is a non Tesla with a CCS charge port can use it, but would have to give way to a Model 3.

Just out of interest will the old SC plug work on a model 3?

Not on European Model 3s as far as I know, hence the “Model 3 priority” stickers. Think they’re basically asking Model S/X owners to use the non-CCS stalls if they have a choice as Model 3 can only use the CCS chargers.

Don’t think anyone expects a Model S/X owners to step aside and let a Model 3 owner charge ahead of them.

I think it means arguments are on the way! For me as an S driver, if I arrive and there is a standard stall available without sharing I’ll take that one. If there isn’t a standard stall without having to share and an unshared “priority” 3 stall is available I’ll take that one. If I have to share I’ll try and avoid using a “priority” 3 stall.

If there is only a CCS stall available when you arrive, but before you finish charging a non-CCS stall is freed up and a Model 3 arrives would you move so that they could start charging or would you finish charging in the CCS stall? (Assuming you are in your car and haven't gone to do something else while you charge.)

If SC v3 chargers are installed then fine but to be honest if there is a spare dual cable pair and all none dual cable pairs have 1 car on I will probably just use the dual output (would move if a 3 turned up and none were left though). Possibly a reason for SC v3’s to be rolled out so that all chargers get the same output?

If SC v3 chargers are installed then fine but to be honest if there is a spare dual cable pair and all none dual cable pairs have 1 car on I will probably just use the dual output (would move if a 3 turned up and none were left though). Possibly a reason for SC v3’s to be rolled out so that all chargers get the same output?

I'm hoping the plan is that once they have gone through and upgraded every Supercharger site to have at least some CCS connectors, they are over 80% done with this now, that they will then go back through and upgrade all the remaining stalls. The priority is to make it so that a Model 3 can use any Supercharger site. (Though the Model 3 can use CCS sites that the S&X can't yet so there is some additional flexibility in charging even if it costs more. Of course the S&X can use CHAdeMO sites that the 3 can't...)

If there is only a CCS stall available when you arrive, but before you finish charging a non-CCS stall is freed up and a Model 3 arrives would you move so that they could start charging or would you finish charging in the CCS stall? (Assuming you are in your car and haven't gone to do something else while you charge.)

I’m not normally waiting in the car so probably wouldn’t know a 3 has arrived. However if I was there I probably would move out of courtesy. Then again if that meant I was now sharing and potentially only getting a low charge rate I might not, especially if I was tight on time.

Reactions: Asterix187
Given that Elon has also said that the power share is being removed from V2 superchargers, sharing stalls shouldn't be an issue going forward...

I don't think that's being said at all. My understanding is:
  • Sites with V3 hardware will have capability to run all stalls at maximum power. However, there's no current suggestion that existing V2 sites will get upgraded to V3 hardware.
  • V2 sites currently have a total of 145kW (under favourable conditions) shared between two stalls; however, the current sharing system limits to approx 120kW per stall even if the other stall is idle, "wasting" 25kW of capacity. It should be a simple upgrade to remove this restriction on existing sites.
  • Existing Model S/X are also limited to approx 120kW. It has been promised that this limit will be increased, but it's not clear by how much. It is fairly certain that they won't reach the same levels as Model 3 in power terms (and can't possibly reach the same level in MPH terms given the much lower Wh/mile of the Model 3).
  • Existing Model 3 appear to be limited to some intermediate figure - higher than V2 superchargers but lower than V3 - when used on non-Tesla CCS units. It is to be expected that this limit will rise in line with V3 (subject to the maximum power output of the chargepoint, but today's Model 3 are being limited by the car not the chargepoint). It's not clear when this will happen; they seem to be quite cautious in the roll-out, limiting this fastest charging to one location close to the factory where they can keep a close eye on it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
when used on non-Tesla CCS units

Bjorn seems to have stumbled over quite a few 3rd party rapid CCS locations where he couldn't charge M3 (i.e. handshake failure) at all. I don't know if that is M3 only, or if other brands are having similar issues (pretty sure Bjorn has tested other models at (probably) the same Rapid CCS charger sites). I haven't had time to read iPace Forum in months, so no info on if there have been problems.

"Just one of those things" which will be sorted in M3 OTA upgrade? or is the CCS standard going to be found to need some shakedown across the board - or perhaps some CCS charger suppliers needing to upgrade/fix their chargers perhaps?

"Just one of those things" which will be sorted in M3 OTA upgrade? or is the CCS standard going to be found to need some shakedown across the board - or perhaps some CCS charger suppliers needing to upgrade/fix their chargers perhaps?

A combination of all the above, probably. There have been lots of CCS compatibility issues with various combinations of vehicles and chargers, some historical and some continuing. Hyundai Kona and Ecotricity's DBT units is the most recent one (where Ecotricity were saying "fixed" and a lynch mob of owners was saying "oh no it isn't!"). Not sure about iPace. Conversely, at least one Model3 owner has successfully charged on Ecotricity (other thread in this section).

Reactions: WannabeOwner