Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crash @ +100MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle was totaled, and numerous residents of nearby homes stated that debris flew into their vehicle’s windows. A post from the City of Corvallis Police Department stated that lithium-ion battery cells from the electric vehicle’s battery pack entered two different residences by breaking through windows. One battery landed on a person’s lap, and another on to a bed. The bed caught fire as a result."

I don't know why but I found this funny.

... with nothing but the wits and a series 7 de-atomizer...

And now, CR should stop recommending M3 as well. First, it allows to drive the car really fast; second, it doesn't stop you from driving the car really fast; third, FSD makes drivers overconfident and totally fails to avoid trees; forth, the wheels and the roof on model 3 easily detach and fly away damaging property and forest animals; fifth, batteries ... should I continue?... it is a disaster, they are not only dangerous for drivers of Tesla cars but they now also proven to create infernos in peaceful neighborhoods; and finally, car paint now is found to include traces of tall fescue grass, tree bark, and lubricants used in adult's toys.

On a more serious note, I have no bloody clue how anyone in the car could survive that crash.

PS: send the remains to Eastern European tinkers and they will restore this to a "Like New" state using mainly a hammer and AA batteries.

are you sure? rate of speed change would be acceleration. Rate of speed is just a unit of measure for speed.

Rate according to Marriam-Webster: "a quantity, amount, or degree of something measured per unit of something else ". Sorry, but "rate of speed" is not "A unit of measure for speed". Units of measure for speed are m/s, mi/h, km/h. You can say about speed - the rate of distance. When you say "rate of speed" that means the change of speed "per unit of something". If by "something" we imply time, then dv/dt = a, and we are talking about acceleration.

v=dx/dt, a=dv/dt - these are rates of position (or distance) and speed which are speed and acceleration, respectively.

Use of "rate of speed" in place of "speed" is a totally ignorant use of words that demonstrated intellectual laziness of police and journalists. Physics must be a required class in all schools or in some 20 years we will be a cheap unskilled labor market for China.

are you sure? rate of speed change would be acceleration. Rate of speed is just a unit of measure for speed.

The way I see it, "rate of speed" is actually a non sequitur because speed is a scalar quantity. That's like saying "rate of weight" or "rate of height."

I was being inaccurate and a bit generous; however, with my comment about it equaling acceleration—doing so by inferring an implied "rate of [change of] speed" in their usage. Obviously, those who employ the phrase in saying such things as "the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed..." do not intend to be stating acceleration.

The phrase, I suspect, began in police reports where the authors were attempting to sound official and fell short. Unfortunately, the phrase seems to have stuck, much to my disdain.

Does anyone else gag at the phrase “high rate of speed”?

Seriously.

Police and journalists love that phrase and they all use it to mean “velocity” when “rate of speed” really means acceleration.

Just stop. o_O

I think they actually mean speed and not velocity. The funny one would be a description of a car making donuts... "a centripetal rate of velocity"

This "rate of speed" debate reminds me of the equally cringe worthy "focused like a laser". Lasers emit a beam of parallel photons that do not come to a point or focus. If you want something to come to a point (focus), you need a lens. Drives me crazy, like I want to pop the car into plaid and take out the nearest small forest doing well over a buck twenty.

Btw. In an un-scientific poll, asked my physic teacher wife what "rate of speed" was, without looking up from her iPad in that patronizing teacher tone she said "acceleration".