Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crash on empty highway (AEB involved?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The thread title has been edited slightly from the original to be less attention-grabbing, while hopefully still preserving the main subject.

My M3 engaged AEB on an empty highway in Utah causing it to swerve and crash.I reported this to Tesla and despite following up for 6 weeks I do not have any communication. Please suggest on what I should do?

Last edited by a moderator:
3859991E-B65E-495D-AAD2-0EB855C76F7F.png

According to the manual, AEB only applies brakes and doesn’t affect steering. It will also be cancelled if the steering wheel is turned. Are you saying the steering wheel was turned during an AEB incident or that AEB applied brakes on a slippery surface or some other situation that cause a swerve and not due to the steering wheel being turned?

Reactions: bhzmark
According to the manual, AEB only applies brakes and doesn’t affect steering. It will also be cancelled if the steering wheel is turned. Are you saying the steering wheel was turned during an AEB incident or that AEB applied brakes on a slippery surface or some other situation that cause a swerve and not due to the steering wheel being turned?
AEB caused the car to swerve/skid

My M3 engaged AEB on an empty highway in Utah causing it to swerve and crash.I reported this to Tesla and despite following up for 6 weeks I do not have any communication. Please suggest on what I should do?
This is the first time I have seen someone claim that AEB caused a Tesla to change direction. AEB applies the brakes but does not effect the steering.

Reactions: bhzmark
AP is definitely capable of taking certain types of evasive maneuvers in perceived lane enroachment scenarios, so that is not impossible. Also it is not impossible that hard braking alone could cause the car to swerve depending on weather.

I mean ghost braking on AP is common enough and if that happens in slippery conditions, it certainly could cause a swerve.

Tesla’s answer of course is the driver is responsible for catching ghost brakings.

Reactions: mswlogo
AP is definitely capable of taking certain types of evasive maneuvers in perceived lane enroachment scenarios, so that is not impossible. Also it is not impossible that hard braking alone could cause the car to swerve depending on weather.

I mean ghost braking on AP is common enough and if that happens in slippery conditions, it certainly could cause a swerve.

Tesla’s answer of course is the driver is responsible for catching ghost brakings.
true! I was surprised this happened With AEB.it said emergency braking applied for your safety. yes the road was wet and the car did not steer itself it just skid due to heavy braking

Just a general admonition (not addressed to anyone in particular): It's perfectly fine to discuss and debate with the original poster, even express doubt and skepticism. But please be sure to keep your comments respectful.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Reactions: hcdavis3
...swerve and crash...

AEB is not perfect. Phantom brakes when there are no obstacles are well known.

As with any brake, whether automatic or manual, braking can become skidding, sliding... depending on the surface friction.

If you feel the automatic system is dangerous, then you can manually disable it from the car's menu at the start of each drive.

If you don't disable it, then that means you are still using an imperfect technology as warned by the owner's manual.

That's where we are with the technology for now.