Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was the semi driver doing? From his vantage point, he should have clearly seen the traffic in front had come to a stop. Sad for the Dodge occupants and anyone else injured.
I bet the operator was tired. Driver fatigue is a very serious and common issue with truck drivers. It doesn't help that a lot of trucks don't have early collision avoidance/detection.

I bet in 10 years or so we'll all scoff at the idea of anyone on the highway driving without driver aid of some sort. Until then, highway fatalities happen a lot, and it's no big deal which is awful.

Reactions: CyberGus and KenC
This is a remake of Episode 3 that was taken down due to a copyright ban on the short song used in the outro video. I took the chance to redo the episode by adding more videos that was sent in, redo the editing and adding voice over to follow the theme on the new episodes.

I hope you like this REDUX version as well, it is by far my favorite episode! ⚡

The last upload almost hit 0,5 million views, 800 likes and 200 comments.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
This is a remake of Episode 3 that was taken down due to a copyright ban on the short song used in the outro video. I took the chance to redo the episode by adding more videos that was sent in, redo the editing and adding voice over to follow the theme on the new episodes.

I hope you like this REDUX version as well, it is by far my favorite episode! ⚡

The last upload almost hit 0,5 million views, 800 likes and 200 comments.

I don't live in an area with much coal-rolling, so I was wondering, do any of these trucks ever get pulled over and ticketed? It's not just breaking emissions laws that annoy me, but the dangerous driving exhibited.

I don't live in an area with much coal-rolling, so I was wondering, do any of these trucks ever get pulled over and ticketed?

Enforcement is usually directed at the sellers of the illegal equipment, but even that has softened under the current administration.

“Rolling Coal” Backfires

From there, it varies by state. Texas actually has a hotline for reporting violators:

TxDPS - Report Smoking Vehicles

Gee, if only we had a fleet of zero-emissions vehicles with some kind of automatic video recording system...

Reactions: sduck and KenC
I don't live in an area with much coal-rolling, so I was wondering, do any of these trucks ever get pulled over and ticketed? It's not just breaking emissions laws that annoy me, but the dangerous driving exhibited.
I live in CO were it happens all the time. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket or getting pulled over for it but the police are a joke around here. In downtown Fort Collins they like to roll coal on outdoor seating at restaurants. I once saw a truck driving down an empty highway rolling coal repetitively with nobody around. Not sure the point of any of it.

I live in CO were it happens all the time. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket or getting pulled over for it but the police are a joke around here. In downtown Fort Collins they like to roll coal on outdoor seating at restaurants. I once saw a truck driving down an empty highway rolling coal repetitively with nobody around. Not sure the point of any of it.
If 2020 has taught me one thing, it’s “stupidity needs no reason.”

Just thought it would be fun to create a thread where others can share their Model 3 Dashcam moments.

TeslaCam, 3rd party, whatever you got - share it!

I think the Model 3 is so fast and so quiet that there is risk of someone not seeing you before making lane changes.

Any thoughts on if EAP would have dodged that? I would have grabbed the wheel in this situation as I saw it coming and not even THINK about chancing it.

This is reason #34959 why I will NEVER enable chill mode. I want maximum acceleration potential at ALL times.

The "safest" car is the one that doesn't get hit!!!

Good avoidance here, but this is a risk with speed disparity in traffic. Anyone could lumber in to your lane and create a hazard as seen here. Seen it way too often on a motorcycle, and that thing was loud enough to signal its presence, offset again by its speed and small size (and reduced perceived threat to people in cars). However, I agree that acceleration as avoidance comes in handy a lot. Good to have choices. Braking or swerving aren't always your best options.

Some videos I collected over a month. No close calls, but it involves driving in my Tesla.

Guy was in a hurry or trying to race me. Too bad no audio so you can hear that engine burning fuel.

Look how many cars continue turning after my light turns green:

Look at this driving taking a turn in the non-turn lane:

The phenomenon of people continuing to turn on red (or run red lights) is in part a reaction to people using cell phones at lights and not paying attention. When drivers get held up, they tend to make up the lost time by running the red. I've noticed a dramatic increase in this behavior since 'smart' phones became ubiquitous, and more times than I can count I've seen people holding up others at green lights they didn't spot. Some have done this so much that nobody was in front of them (at a green) and they were STILL stopped and on the phone.

Reactions: xilex
I'm not sure why you say that a quiet car runs more of a risk for getting hit.

Who drives a car based on hearing other cars these days. Even ICE cars are amazingly quiet compared to their tire noise. Of course they are not silent like Teslas that have been out since 2008.. As we all know....the Model 3 isn't the first quiet car Tesla has made.

Hmmmm I wonder why Tesla didn't have a big 10 year anniversary party this year.

Quieter things always have a chance of escaping your attention. Hearing evolved because it directly led to the survival of the individual which could then propagate its genes. This is to say, avoidance of threats and sneaking up on prey. The presence of hearing is just some of the evidence about its utility.

There's a reason why the cat sneaks silently on its prey, or why making human noise (talking, yelling) in the forest (in order to avoid surprising a bear) is a good idea. It's why dogs growl (as a warning) and snakes rattle, and elephants trumpet. It's the same reason trucks have back-up beepers, or why artificial noisemakers have been installed on many EVs (including the LEAF I used to own).

When we simply rely on sight, we can obviously see that this fails us often. People fail to see us, but they notice motion a bit more. They may not see us, but may hear the screaming sound of a motorcycle engine and know it's nearby. It's the constellation of factors which help get attention in a world competing fiercely for the eyes of our fellow drivers (such as those infernal devices people carry) along with poor judgement where people just can't stop checking their phones.

This is not to say that I'm not a fan of silent vehicles and a quieter world, but people expect big things to make noise, especially things which could harm them. On balance, it's easier to notice stimulus when more senses are engaged. This is objectively true mathematically. If there's an intruder in my house waiting for me as I walk in, I may not see him but I may hear him. I may also smell him (my sense of smell is extraordinary). If they're wearing cologne (even if it's on their clothing from days back) I will smell it.

This doesn't mean loud cars are the answer, just that we pants-wearing primates have to pay better attention with the new paradigm.