Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dog Hammock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My greyhound rides in the car M-F to and from daycare. For the most part the hair is contained within the hammock unless I put one of the windows down. Then it turns into a furnado.

@mekberg,
Any chance you could post a photo of you greyhound in the car? My 2 don't like car rides particularly, and never go more than a couple miles in the car, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around greyhounds in the back seat in case of vet visits etc. The hammock looks like a great idea for them, though they tend to stay standing in the car (and actual sitting is out of the question for the American greyhound. The Spanish one will at least sit).

Hope to be getting my VIN soonish.

@mekberg,
Any chance you could post a photo of you greyhound in the car? My 2 don't like car rides particularly, and never go more than a couple miles in the car, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around greyhounds in the back seat in case of vet visits etc. The hammock looks like a great idea for them, though they tend to stay standing in the car (and actual sitting is out of the question for the American greyhound. The Spanish one will at least sit).

Hope to be getting my VIN soonish.

Sorry I missed this before. My greyhound will stand up until we start moving - then he switches to the sphinx pose. Will try to get a photo tonight if I remember.

Reactions: ZoomDoggie
We have this one: Deluxe Dog Hammock Car Seat Protector / Grip-Tight™ Quilted Microfiber Hammock Seat Protector -- Orvis

We purchased it pre-Model 3, and it works okay, but it's a little bit of a stretch to fit the straps over the headrests, even when all four are extended to their maximum length. We purchased the Large, but the X-Large might be better in this regard.

+100 to the Orvis hammocks. I’ve had mine for a few years now and it holds up great against my two dogs. I’ve got an Orvis dog bed as well which is also fantastic, well worth the price. I have the windowed hammock which is nice because the rear seat air vent can still get some air conditioning to the rear through the window.
How much of a stretch is it to get the large to fit in the Model 3? I'd rather not spend the the extra $30 for the extra large if I don't have to. Does it seem like stretching it will result in more stress on the seams?

thanks

+100 to the Orvis hammocks. I’ve had mine for a few years now and it holds up great against my two dogs. I’ve got an Orvis dog bed as well which is also fantastic, well worth the price. I have the windowed hammock which is nice because the rear seat air vent can still get some air conditioning to the rear through the window.

That one looks pretty nice.

Which size is it?
Also how does it attach at seatbelt area.

By the way you can get at the posts for the front head rests so that the strap doesn't need to go all the way around.
You just need squeeze your fingers in there.

How are those door guards attached?

That one looks pretty nice.

Which size is it?
Also how does it attach at seatbelt area.

By the way you can get at the posts for the front head rests so that the strap doesn't need to go all the way around.
You just need squeeze your fingers in there.

How are those door guards attached?

It's the large size (95% sure of this anyway). There are rubber pieces on the back that slip in between the seat and back rest to help keep it in position. The straps fit around the head rests just fine as long as you extend them enough. I take mine in and out of my 3 regularly so I don't want to bother with trying to squeeze the straps underneath the head rests.

The door guards I got have plastic tabs that slip in between the door and the window. They're pretty secure and I can open and close the windows without them becoming dislodged. I'm pretty sure I put a link to the door guards I got somewhere in this thread.

Reactions: mswlogo
I got this one from Amazon because I have two dogs and they both shed (also, one of my dogs figured out how to crawl under the cover from the side, sort of defeating the purpose). The bucket style helps keep the hair from leaking out the sides, prevents either dog from tunneling down to the floor and also protects the doors without requiring window tabs. The sides zipper up.

I got this one from Amazon because I have two dogs and they both shed (also, one of my dogs figured out how to crawl under the cover from the side, sort of defeating the purpose). The bucket style helps keep the hair from leaking out the sides, prevents either dog from tunneling down to the floor and also protects the doors without requiring window tabs. The sides zipper up.

Could you share a picture of what it looks like installed?

We have that one too. I love the side flaps. We have a little dog and we don’t use the straps to hold up the sides but they are zippered. We just lift the dog over them and leave them zippered up all the time. So far this one has worked out well and is easy to remove and put back. We keep a small dog bed in it as it is otherwise very slippery.

Attachments

• 0E16F874-2BF1-4F8A-82D4-E179F6192481.jpeg
    0E16F874-2BF1-4F8A-82D4-E179F6192481.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 821
  • 2AB2DBEA-07E1-4357-A6D5-FB5DD27AE6C4.jpeg
    2AB2DBEA-07E1-4357-A6D5-FB5DD27AE6C4.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 690
Reactions: kpedraja
This thread has been very helpful and I just ordered a large windowed Orvis hammock for our Shiba Inu. He's been hanging out on the floor in the back seat and doesn't seem to be particularly comfortable on long trips. Hopefully this hammock provides him some additional comfort while controlling the fursplosion during shedding season.

Reactions: mekberg
I have that same hammock and it works really well but my dog still can stand on his hind legs and get his paws on the door under the window so i purchased the doors protectors which are so easy to use. ...And it does not come out unless you take it out. https://www.amazon.com/Bushwhacker-...2001&sr=8-13&keywords=bushwacker+paws+n+claws
Might have to give those a try as one of my dogs saw a cat as we were pulling up to our house and scraped at the door. I was...displeased.

Also keep your doggie's nails trimmed and polished. This is how most damage occurs.

That combined with a hammock and door protection and your baby car will be fine.

The only issue with have is with dog fur. Ours sheds a ton and sometimes driving the car is like being in a snow globe with fur floating around everywhere.

I guess I can saran wrap our dogie's but not sure she would like that...

Yeah the shedding with my lab is a huge issue. I've been vacuuming out the whole car after every trip with my dogs.

I might look for a dog sweater to contain the fur. That stuff just gets everywhere and just about impossible to remove from all the many crevices...

Maybe the Shed Defender would work for your dogs?

Shed Defender | Shed Defender® - Keep the Shedding Dog Hair out of your House and Car