Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 drops wifi connection when it goes to sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 drops the wifi connection when it goes to sleep (e.g. when I park in the driveway and go into the house). When I wake it up either via the Tesla phone app or by getting in the car it reconnects. As long as I keep the phone app active or sit in the car it will stay connected but as soon as I either quit the app, put the phone down for 5 minutes or walk away from the car, the M3 disconnects from wifi.

Is this normal? Anyone else experiencing this issue? I'm tracking this via the device connection screen in my router.

I've tried three different routers with different SSIDs both 2.4g and 5g connections with the same results. Even set up a second router as a subnet on the network assigning IPs with the M3 as the only device--same result. Signal strength is good on all connections. WPA2-PSK [AES] encryption. No VPNs enabled.

M3 Firmware 2018.36.2 ac4a215

Thanks.

Yeah, it's perfectly normal.

They must be using the cell connection to wake the car. I know if I use the app it tells me that the car needs to wake up, and after few seconds it connects.

Then my router tells me it's on wifi.

I haven't gotten the V9 update yet, and I'm going to stop obsessing. I'm not sure what happened, but the roll out doesn't seem to be happening that fast.

Thanks @Eno Deb. If the car is disconnected from the wifi network how does it receive firmware updates via wifi? Does Tesla support have a way of waking up the car and reconnecting it to the wifi network in order to receive updates that way?
Yes. They can send commands to the car over LTE while it's in sleep mode. Otherwise there wouldn't be a way to wake it up e.g. when using the app.

Mine is 7C:1C:4E (also LG).

To find your MAC address, go to WiFi settings on the center screen and click on the circled "i" on the top right.

If I don't drive my car all day, it will wake up at 9:00 pm when I have scheduled charging programmed.