Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 dual motor AWD optional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon answered this question us just the other day at the 2015 shareholders meeting. He confirmed the low end model will be a single motor and the dual motor will be an upgrade option on the model [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans] Also he made a statement right after that attesting to rear wheel drive being inherently safer in terms of traction control. I would take that as an implication the single motor will be rear wheel drive which makes a lot of sense if it is to compete with BMW M3[/FONT]

. I would take that as an implication the single motor will be rear wheel drive which makes a lot of sense if it is to compete with BMW M3

I think that that would be a big mistake. People with smaller cars are so accustomed to driving FWD nowadays that a RWD small car would likely be dangerous just because of the lack of familiarity. RWD would be perceived as a bit of a throwback.

I think that that would be a big mistake. People with smaller cars are so accustomed to driving FWD nowadays that a RWD small car would likely be dangerous just because of the lack of familiarity. RWD would be perceived as a bit of a throwback.

I think that might be a bit of an overreaction. I learned to drive on both FWD and RWD as a kid (in a cold, snowy climate) and switching between them is an extremely small difference probably 95+% of the time. IMO it is only very extreme situations (well beyond what you encounter in normal driving) where you feel the difference in a significant manner.

If you listen to how Musk lauding electric RWD in snow, he seems to be laying the groundwork for the entry level Model 3. Snow rated tires are as important as AWD. I think it is fine if the entry level M3 is RWD. This didn't hurt S sales much.

That's still a fair point. They did make some 40KWh cars and they're out in the wild, but not many, and Tesla discontinued it after a short while.

While Tesla did make a small number of 40Kwh cars they never made any cars with 40Kwh batteries. Demand was so low that they never produced any 40Kwh battery packs and instead filled the few orders with 60Kwh batteries which were software limited to 40kwh. For $10k, those owners can, if they wish, upgrade to 60Kwh with a software change.

Last edited:
And Tesla did offer the S40 as the base car in 2013 but there were so few buyers that Tesla discontinued it.
I believe that the base Model 3 will definitely be RWD but the AWD version will outsell it by a wide margin because it will only be about $3,000 more. However for many prospective buyers in that market segment that is a significant difference.
In the Model S market segment, a $3,000 price difference is much less of an issue because it is a much smaller percentage of the total vehicle cost.

Guess we'll have to wait and see :wink:

I agree that Tesla would sell a few more 3s with a RWD option just like they would have sold a few more Ss with a 40kWh option AND a 60kWh RWD option (that's gone too now)... the question is would those additional sales make up for a more complex production process.

My prediction is that Tesla will offer a 3 with RWD... I think there's a 50/50 chance it will make it into production and <10% chance the RWD option lasts >1 year. If ~$3k gets you AWD then RWD will likely be <10% of sales... if it's <10% of sales then Tesla will likely axe the model to streamline production and improve margins.

It will be funny if they only ship AWD cars but people who chose RWD before it gets axed have to pay $3k to activate the front motor :tongue:

Elon seemed pretty clear that the base Model 3 needs to have a single motor to hit the price point. I expect it to be far more popular than the "40" S was.
Yes, the target market for the Model 3 figures to be a lot more price-sensitive than the market for the Model S.

Also, the S40 wasn't Supercharger-capable and I would guess that made a big difference to Model S buyers once they grasped the potential of the Supercharger network. Buyers of S60s purchased without Supercharger access knew that they could add it later.

I disagree. Different economic demographics will have different priorities.

I agree that low 85 sales don't necessarily bode poorly for a RWD 3 but GOOD 85 sales mean the RWD 3 should sell well.

If Tesla is still selling a lot of 85s then I would expect them to sell a lot of RWD 3s.... low 85 sales wouldn't really tell us anything... like you say... different demographics...

Anyone know what the 85/85D ratio is? That would give us a pretty good idea of how popular the Model 3 AWD will be...

I cant say anything general on this, but I quote some numbers from Norway:

Some numbers for June were posted on the Norwgian EV forum; as of June 13th, there were:

- 191 new Model S registered
- 187 of these were AWD and 4 were RWD

That means that for Tesla, AWD currently has a 98% market share in Norway. (I would be surprised if Tesla still offers a RWD Model S in three months.)

But I argree with S'toon, this say very little about the demand for the Model 3 RWD.

Model S buyers tend to pick a lot of options and all the latest and greatest stuff like dual motor. Lower price car buyers are looking for... eh - lower price and I believe RWD will be much more popular in Model 3. Also in smaller car it's possible that there is no room for frunk if front motor is there.

Last edited: