Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Feature Requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
??? for the S it's $4k. I'm not suggesting it come with an iPad... that can be customer supplied. Then if you break your screen you're out $500. Not ~$4k + labour.
I don't have an iPad, and don't want one. I submit to you that providing your own tablet won't work that well. Tesla uses a modified version of Linux, and wouldn't interface well with every variation of tablet in existence. If I were to buy a tablet right now it'd be either one of the upcoming Ubuntu tablets, or a Windows tablet I could erase and put Linux Mint on.

Not too sure where you're getting that $4000 figure from. The only source I could find with that price was a speculative article from 2009 that posited that Tesla couldn't make a Model S for $58,000.

All I can say is colors!!! I know the mass market will want it's white/grey/black and dark reds/greens/blues variations... but a charge for some brighter (but not gaudy) colors would be awesome!!!

Viper blue, that gm burnt orange, a nice yellow, a funky green, etc. etc. Bring some life into this thing!!!
It would be nice if they added at least one blue to the basic lineup, as a nod to the early "Bluestar" project name.

A little more info leaked out ahead of reveal:

Straubel didn’t give many details about the vehicle ahead of the unveiling but said it is comparable in size to an Audi A4. “I think it will surprise people with the level of features it includes,” he said.

I wonder what the surprising "level of feature it includes" will be?

I am a little worried about this late date comparison to A4 if he is comparing it to the sedan. Having this sedan body style that forces one to put a dog on seats instead of hatchback where you put the dog in the back would be a deal breaker for me. I think at that point I would choose between getting a Bolt or wait for a future Model Y no matter how fancy the new features are.

A little more info leaked out ahead of reveal:

Straubel didn’t give many details about the vehicle ahead of the unveiling but said it is comparable in size to an Audi A4. “I think it will surprise people with the level of features it includes,” he said.

I wonder what the surprising "level of feature it includes" will be?

I am a little worried about this late date comparison to A4 if he is comparing it to the sedan. Having this sedan body style that forces one to put a dog on seats instead of hatchback where you put the dog in the back would be a deal breaker for me. I think at that point I would choose between getting a Bolt or wait for a future Model Y no matter how fancy the new features are.
Get a cat instead. :tongue:

Second row seats that fold up giving large tall cargo area.
Honda Fit owners will know this feature well. Bikes can go in and dogs walk in no jumping up into trunk.
Honda-Jazz-magic-seats.jpg

I forgot to mention that the article also reports Straubel saying the Model 3 includes the “next generation” of its existing technology. That to me translates to the hardware needed for when full autonomy has all the software and legal parts ironed out. I wonder what the first delivery Model 3's will be able to do that today's Model S and X can't.

- - - Updated - - -

Second row seats that fold up giving large tall cargo area.
Honda Fit owners will know this feature well. Bikes can go in and dogs walk in no jumping up into trunk.
View attachment 112964

That is cool, but still does not allow me to bring kids, wife and dog at the same time which a well designed hatchback would. I guess that is why people will continue to buy Model S and X and the future Y. I hope I am wrong.

He was comparing the size of TM3 to the size of A4, not the design/body form.

Perhaps JB is telling us that Tesla is making the $35,000 sales price one that will buy most of the desirable features of a Tesla car. WOW!!! If so, a further amplification of Model 3 demand. How is Tesla ever going to stay up with the demand?

Perhaps JB is telling us that Tesla is making the $35,000 sales price one that will buy most of the desirable features of a Tesla car. WOW!!! If so, a further amplification of Model 3 demand. How is Tesla ever going to stay up with the demand?

My best guess is that a lot of tech features will be included at no extra cost, but little luxury. They need to either keep the luxury more toward their S and X line or more likely just make them as pay for options in order to get a reasonable margin on the sales.

In all the excitement, we've forgotten the true meaning of Disruption.
Because of Tesla's mission to drive the transition to Electric transportation I think a lot of S and X owners are going to be shocked/upset about the level of features/tech that will be made available on the 3.
Other than vehicle size/capacity Tesla have no reason to maintain the advantage of those larger vehicles for the relative few who can afford them.
"Maintaining the S and X lines" and Disruption are antithetical.

In all the excitement, we've forgotten the true meaning of Disruption.
Because of Tesla's mission to drive the transition to Electric transportation I think a lot of S and X owners are going to be shocked/upset about the level of features/tech that will be made available on the 3.
Other than vehicle size/capacity Tesla have no reason to maintain the advantage of those larger vehicles for the relative few who can afford them.
"Maintaining the S and X lines" and Disruption are antithetical.

I expect all the tech features to be available - they are after all a tech company first and automaker second (IMO.) Plus safety is paramount and many of the tech features (sensors, etc) are part of that. And Autopilot IS tesla so there is no way they wouldn't offer a car with that as an option. Plus, the R and D has been done for those things.
I hope the 3 will be configurable to be as or almost as luxurious as the S. I want leather. (White option, please!) I want pano roof. Some sort of wood trim would be nice. Those options are available in BMWs so I don't see why Tesla wouldn't do the same.

Symbiosis/"Hitch a ride": The ability to connect 2 tesla's together via charge port.

This means;

1. When stationary, a fully or higher charged tesla can recharge another tesla that has no charge or less charge than them.

2. When driving, the Tesla with high charge can power the tesla with no charge via a long lead from 1 tesla to another. This will allow the tesla with no charge to drive itself using the power from the other tesla.

weasel-riding-woodpecker-wildlife-photography-martin-le-may-1.jpg