Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Feature Requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current administrator of the NHTSA (Mark R. Rosekind) is surprisingly very much into rewriting the rules to allow new technology. I read about him and came away hopeful that this particular bureaucracy might actually be flexible enough for cameras to replace mirrors.

The fact that they recently ruled that Google's AI can be considered a "driver" for legal purposes is very promising for getting full autonomy turned on soon after the Model 3 "goes live".

I've been doing some "bean counting" since the announcement was made last week......

I think I've decided to check every box I can that will till keep me under $65K. (which I am hoping means I get to check ALL the boxes!!)

I'll have to find a buyer for my current car...but I imagine it will still be worth ~$20K by then.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, but: the more of us that put down reservations, the better-positioned I'll be to buy cash, as my TSLA shares will rise...... :cool:

I want the same range (or better) than we get with our 70D. We both have long distance commutes (me, 180 mi, husband 300) so less time supercharging is important to us.

The cost tradeoff wasn't worth it for us to go up to the 85. (Now, 90.) And 70 is fine for us. But I would say no less.

I've not heard that the retracting door handles were a problem in bad weather. I drove for many hours in sleet, the car had a thick shell of ice on it, and the handles worked fine.
BUT I don't want them on the Model 3--there are too many other items that are more important (to me).

106479_2013_Chevrolet_Spark.jpg

My understanding was that they were a problem early on, and that they since work well. Since it is now a well done thing (after 100k model S produced), I would like to have the option to have them on my 3 :)

There are still posts in the Model S forums with failures. Most recent out of warranty repair cost was ~$865 for one handle. Not worth the hassle for me.

I think what we're going to end up seeing is Model S features now will become Model 3 features, while the Model S will get new, better features. For instance, the center screen is only a 1080p screen. Every other decent screen on the market is 4K/Retina: iPads, iPhones, Samsung devices, laptops, etc. The Model S/X will probably get a high res, high contrast display in the not so distant future, and to save on costs, the 3 will get what the S has currently. The Model S/X will probably be a few years ahead of the 3 all along, as both a testing ground and premium experience. I wouldn't expect the 3 to have anything better than the S/X have right now.

I'd also wager (but I hope I'm wrong) that Ludicrous will not be available to even the highest end Model 3. We'll probably get a performance model with Insane, but they'll probably want you to move up to a S/X for Ludicrous. They have to have something other than size to keep people buying those. We'll also probably see the S/X get a 100+ kWh battery pack at the same time the 3 comes out with an 85. Again, to give the S/X a premium edge over the 3.

All I really want is 0-60 in ~3.5 seconds, autopilot 2.0, 250+ mile range and head turning looks. I'll pay what a 70 costs if they do Ludicrous.

Agree with keep it simple (at least base options). I fear the bills down the road as fancy electronics break.

I want 200+ miles and something that looks great. Android/Apple Car play (which Elon I believe already said is direction they're going in) is ideal. I hope to never buy another car without heated front seats. Everything else will be gravy for me.

Plain old mechanical door handles.

No touchscreen or smaller touchscreen. I'd like smartphone/tablet integration, CarPlay Style.

Fewer "fancy" items that aren't needed for core car functions. More emphasis drivetrain and reliability.

Autopilot.

I want a car that looks good, drives well and doesn't spend much, or any, time in the shop. I also don't want to pay $600 per year for a "check-up."

I said it way back, but if you give me a Tesla Civic with 220 mile range and Supercharging capability, you'll have a sale at $35K. Anything more than that will be gravy.

Last edited:
I think we may be very surprised/shocked to see the 3 sold with features which would be, in the normal business mindset, the preserve of the S.
Ludicrous mode could be one of them. Or there may be other capabilities none of us know about.

Given Tesla's mission to electrify transportation, and the news from JB that the 3 will be all-new technology, I think they are gearing up to ignore the traditional market segment/vehicle model relationship.

Take away idea: The 3 will be cheaper AND perform better than several of the S variants

I think we may be very surprised/shocked to see the 3 sold with features which would be, in the normal business mindset, the preserve of the S.
Ludicrous mode could be one of them. Or there may be other capabilities none of us know about.

Given Tesla's mission to electrify transportation, and the news from JB that the 3 will be all-new technology, I think they are gearing up to ignore the traditional market segment/vehicle model relationship.

Take away idea: The 3 will be cheaper AND perform better than several of the S variants

the Germans have made the "entry-level" models fun....and at least in Audi's case, they debuted new tech (new MMI system) in the A3, before rolling it "UP" through the model lineup as part of model refreshes.

Maybe Tesla follows that model here......

The 3 brings people into the "entry level" model, in order to build some brand loyalty in hopes people trade up as they "grow into" bigger cars, and the tech "follows them" through facelifts to the Model S and X.....

of course, they could "cheap out" on this one, and make Model Y the platform they use to roll out new tech.

I know I'm a broken record with this request but...

If the Model 3 is supposed to be more mainstream and sell in the millions, guess what: the mainstream is used to cars with iPod/smartphone multimedia integration, enabling the easy browsing of artist/song/album/genre. The fact that Tesla has deliberately ignored this capability continues to blow my mind. To me this is Elon being Steve Jobs: where Steve insisted on a single-button mouse, Elon's insisting on owners abandoning their mp3 collections I'm guessing because he personally prefers streaming services. (No, I don't wanna hear about USB thumbdrives... that's absurdly primitive)

One thing I really hope the Model 3 is NOT is a traditional sedan with all metal door into its trunk. I much prefer the hatchback style back door with a window in the Model S. If the Model 3 was a traditional sedan, I would have to go with a bolt or wait for the Model Y.

The current administrator of the NHTSA (Mark R. Rosekind) is surprisingly very much into rewriting the rules to allow new technology. I read about him and came away hopeful that this particular bureaucracy might actually be flexible enough for cameras to replace mirrors.

I think the problem is that the federal government doesn't have full jurisdiction over this. There are a patchwork of state laws that govern mirror requirements:

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Mirror_Laws_by_State_(U.S.)