Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Fit and Finish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add a data point for discussion:
I took delivery of my Red MC 3D with white interior, and EAP last Monday (VIN 561XX, build 08/18), in Bellevue WA. The exterior fit was good and but the paint finish had some visible defects. I had a professional detail/PPF shop owner inspect the finish, and he found the following:

Hi Brad, I have attached the photos of areas of concern.

clip_image001.jpg

Rock Chíp left fender

upload_2018-8-24_12-54-34.png

clip_image002.jpg

Light color in bumper vent
upload_2018-8-24_12-54-52.png

clip_image003.jpg

Light color and run front bumper
upload_2018-8-24_12-56-2.png

clip_image004.jpg

Light color other side bumper
upload_2018-8-24_12-56-45.png

clip_image005.jpg

Dust nib on bumper
upload_2018-8-24_12-57-12.png

clip_image006.jpg

Dust nib on bumper
upload_2018-8-24_12-58-30.png

clip_image007.jpg

Dust nib on bumper
upload_2018-8-24_12-58-45.png

clip_image008.jpg

Alignment left headlight
upload_2018-8-24_12-58-57.png

clip_image009.jpg

Dust nibs hood
clip_image010.jpg

upload_2018-8-24_12-59-20.png

Dust nibs hood
upload_2018-8-24_12-59-51.png

clip_image011.jpg

Scuff bumper

clip_image012.jpg

Adhesive on right rocker panel

clip_image013.jpg

Sanding scratches on lf door

clip_image014.jpg

Dust nibs on right doors

clip_image015.jpg

Scuff on rr door

clip_image016.jpg

Chíp on rear hatch left side

clip_image017.jpg

Scuff/chips on right quarter panel in trunk jamb

clip_image018.jpg

Nice meeting you Brad, we look forward to doing business with you and Congratulations on your new car it’s gorgeous. As I mentioned before, we are looking at your car under scrutiny and most of these items would be deemed acceptable and normal for all car manufacturers.
The interior finish and cars operation were flawless to my inspection, and it drives like nothing I've driven before.
Tesla has agreed to repaint the entire bumper and hood. Factory replacement of same would reportedly take up to four weeks, and may not match.
Although the professional indicated these are "normal for all car manufactures", I did not see this level of new car finish defects on my factory new Mazda, Honda, or Mercedes.

Overall though I'm confident Tesla will make it right, and it will be the best vehicle I've every owned.

Last edited:
My delivery is likely a week or two out, and I've prepared myself mentally not to accept the car if it has fit/finish issues. I can deal with a few small paint issues (as paint has never been Tesla's strong point), but nothing major.

Hopefully the Bellevue Sales Center doesn't even have me come down to get the car unless it's in really good shape.

My take away from all these stories is to be prepared to walk away if at all possible.

To ignore the excitement, and to ignore the feeling of being rushed. To take time to look things over before signing on the dotted line.

Tesla gave me all the time I needed to inspect the car, but I was the only delivery at the noon time slot. They also allowed me to sign and pay after inspection. Although my professional detailer/PPF guy found many minor paint defects, I would have only found the dust nubs on top of the hood and bumper. Most of the issues could be addressed in detailer's paint correction, but two larger dust nubs on top of bumper would require sanding through the paint to remove. Leaving the large dust nubs would cause bubbles in the PPF drawing more attention to the defect. Therefore it had to be fixed.

To add a data point for discussion:
I took delivery of my Red MC 3D with white interior, and EAP last Monday (VIN 561XX, build 08/18), in Bellevue WA. The exterior fit was good and but the paint finish had some visible defects. I had a professional detail/PPF shop owner inspect the finish, and he found the following:

Hi Brad, I have attached the photos of areas of concern.

clip_image001.jpg

Rock Chíp left fender

View attachment 328521
clip_image002.jpg

Light color in bumper vent
View attachment 328522
clip_image003.jpg

Light color and run front bumper
View attachment 328523
clip_image004.jpg

Light color other side bumper
View attachment 328524
clip_image005.jpg

Dust nib on bumper
View attachment 328525
clip_image006.jpg

Dust nib on bumper
View attachment 328526
clip_image007.jpg

Dust nib on bumper
View attachment 328527
clip_image008.jpg

Alignment left headlight
View attachment 328528
clip_image009.jpg

Dust nibs hood
clip_image010.jpg

View attachment 328530

Dust nibs hood
View attachment 328532
clip_image011.jpg

Scuff bumper

clip_image012.jpg

Adhesive on right rocker panel

clip_image013.jpg

Sanding scratches on lf door

clip_image014.jpg

Dust nibs on right doors

clip_image015.jpg

Scuff on rr door

clip_image016.jpg

Chíp on rear hatch left side

clip_image017.jpg

Scuff/chips on right quarter panel in trunk jamb

clip_image018.jpg

Nice meeting you Brad, we look forward to doing business with you and Congratulations on your new car it’s gorgeous. As I mentioned before, we are looking at your car under scrutiny and most of these items would be deemed acceptable and normal for all car manufacturers.
The interior finish and cars operation were flawless to my inspection, and it drives like nothing I've driven before.
Tesla has agreed to repaint the entire bumper and hood. Factory replacement of same would reportedly take up to four weeks, and may not match.
Although the professional indicated these are "normal for all car manufactures", I did not see this level of new car finish defects on my factory new Mazda, Honda, or Mercedes.

Overall though I'm confident Tesla will make it right, and it will be the best vehicle I've every owned.

Thanks for posting the pics. I wonder how they end up with those thin/light paint areas. I have seen their cow udder paint machine and it seems like that level automation would make it so either all cars have that issue or none do. I understand the dust flakes because those are a variable the machine can't manage. I wonder if yours had to be repainted by a shop for a chip or drips or whatever.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I wonder if yours had to be repainted by a shop for a chip or drips or whatever.

The cars paint thickness on every panel was measured at inspection by my Detailer. No evidence of any prior repair/repainting. I ask for the bumper dust nibs to be "touch-up" repaired, but Tesla body shop recommended full bumper and hood repaint. I understand repainted bumpers are undetectable from paint thickness measurement, but my hood repaint will be detectable with future measurement. As the car was defect free in every other way, I chose to accept with repair, rather than wait weeks, and hope for a flawless car. Tesla was very cooperative in every way, and did not push-back from fixing the identified issues. We should expect flawless cars from Tesla, but I believe their first pass quality isn't there yet.

Last edited:
So, you know the way I look at this is: 1. If Joe Shmoo walked by the car in some parking lot would he see the problem? 2. Does it lead to a potential of rust or some other major paint problem in the future (peeling/flaking)? This is just like the "fit" problems the internet keeps harping on. If I need to get a ruler and micrometer out to find the problem is it a real problem? For me the answer is NO.

Test drove the M3 last week after getting delivery scheduled. The fit/finish is good but I wouldn't say it's better than other cars especially those in its price range. For example, some door/window panels were slightly out of alignment even for the (cherry-picked?) demo car. Our MB GLE has significantly better finish and much better interior quality and sound dampening. I would say the finish quality is comparable to a top model Buick, or Lincoln. Still behind the German boys but you have to really look under a microscope to spot the differences.

Your post is not credible.

I do not believe that Tesla personnel told you that “dozens...of fit and finish issues” and “ripply paint” would “just go away” after 30 days of ownership. That is magical thinking.

And if the issues bothered you so much you had the option of rejecting delivery and asking for another car. You didn’t. Instead, you paid for the car and then took it to a body shop to have the issues fixed? Did Tesla tell you to do that and say the company would pay for the repairs? Your post doesn’t say. Were you going to pay for the repairs yourself?

+1.

Just another one post troll/FUDster. There was another one poster yesterday talking about his new car almost caused a fire in his garage.

Tesla attempted my M3 delivery on Friday, very disappointed to say the least and rejected! Now they are looking for another car. I live about 25 mi from the Fremont plant, I suggested I'll go out and do my own inspection.

At first I was ok with the door misalignment, that should be easily fixed... but then the rooftop glass has a major gap, paint chips and then I just stopped taking photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0353.jpeg
    IMG_0353.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 73
After looking at the pictures above (especially the first), it appears Tesla's QC reputation has created a major problem for the company.
Buyers are inspecting new purchases much more closely, and even involving professionals to examine prior to closing.
(There are issues, but the first appears inconsequential)

What happens to new Tesla's that are rejected? Sold to the next chump?

Just took delivery of my model 3 last Friday. The fit and finish is terrible. I didn't pay $60000 for a Hugo!! And when I voiced my concern at delivery, the sales staff indicated they didn't see anything wrong. They took it to the service shop and return saying just drive it for 30 days and all the problems should just go away.Really? Real morons!! I took the car to Kinisel in Rocklin CA. who happens to be the Tesla body repair shop for this area and there were dozens of Tesla's there with fit and finish issues. When they looked at my car they said the drooping door issue needed immediate attention and did a temporary fix stating it would be at least 4 weeks before they could correct or try to correct all the other issues since there were so many vehicles needing similar fixes. Not sure how they will fix a poor ripply paint job.

I’m calling bull on this post.

Are you really complaining about orange peel in paint?

Every car, including Mercedes, BMW, Audi, have orange peel. The way to fix it for all of them is to wet sand and re polish.

This isn’t a sign of bad quality; it’s a sign of mass produced vehicles.

I recommend seriously resetting your expectations. Being angry that the paint isn’t Bugatti-level quality is silly at best.

As to your pictures, go open the door of a random Volvo, VW, Ford, Honda. You will see the exact same thing. The difference? You weren’t paying attention when you owned those.

Reactions: Stirfelt