Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports FPX Coilovers for Model 3 & Y - RE-STOCKED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for all those who purchased our FPX and FPSpec Long Stroke Ohlins kits! We still got a few kits left in stock for both the Model 3 and the Model Y. Grab your kit before they get sold out!
Contact us for special TMC Member pricing deals using our website or [email protected]

Anyone still having issues lowering the Redwood ohlins kit in the rear? I want a 1 or 0.5 finger gap in the rear and seeing that the lowest setting is a 3 finger gap still is a little sad IMO for a kit of this price tag.

Out of all of the offerings from Redwood/Ohlins, which kit lets you lower the rear to an amount of a 1 finger gap?

Last edited:
Anyone still having issues lowering the Redwood ohlins kit in the rear? I want a 1 or 0.5 finger gap in the rear and seeing that the lowest setting is a 3 finger gap still is a little sad IMO for a kit of this price tag.

Out of all of the offerings from Redwood/Ohlins, which kit lets you lower the rear to an amount of a 1 finger gap?
At least for me, removing the lock rings above the perch allows a 1.5-2 finger gap in the back (about 365mm or so, hub center to fender). I would not want to go any lower on Michigan roads (I am shocked that I haven’t yet scraped). I am running the performance sport kit with 6/9 springs (long story), no helper spring.

Granted I run 275/35R19 summer tires (26.7” diameter) and 245/45R19 winter tires (27” diameter), so the minimum for a stock diameter tire might be around 2 fingers. But it does close down the gaps.

With a 21mm rear sway bar and the dampers in the 12-15 range it corners like it’s on rails and I don’t perceive any noise. Haven’t scraped, perhaps just dumb luck.

• Informative
Reactions: canasion35
Granted I run 275/35R19 summer tires (26.7” diameter) and 225/45R19 winter tires (27” diameter), so the minimum for a stock diameter tire might be around 2 fingers. But it does close down the gaps.
Noticed a typo — 225/45R19 snows, not 245/45. 245/45R19 cannot fit a model 3.

My summer tires (275/35R19) are indeed two inches wider than my winter tires (225/45R19) and that’s how I like it. 😁

Running 19x9.5 wheels - 265/35 r 19 tires. Assuming you have the GTs it didn’t get as low as I wanted. I do wish now I got the Sport version as that is something the Sports can achieve.

About 2 finger gap with all the lock rings. Removed all the lock rings and was able to get it to sit at 1.5 finger gap. Didn’t want to mess with it too much so I just put the rings back in and adjusted the fronts to the same height of the rears.

I also did this because the front was riding on the bump stops when that low. I settled for 60mm preload in the fronts then adjusted the free length which was about 20mm below their recommended free length of 630mm. Even heavy compression I’m not near bottoming out the battery. This gave me a comfortable ride without riding on the bump stops.

IMG_5438.jpeg

Are you sure about your clicks? The Ohlins RT data sheet says it has 20 way adjustment, or 20 clicks. Redwood's kits have 32 clicks. I've never heard of a coilovers with 80 way adjustment.
R/T yes... their rear inverted clicker is weird and actually has a ton of clicks... it's a bit difficult to get adjusted since it doesn't follow the standard protocol for Ohlins. Our rear Redwood inverted adjuster is a 32 click full billet setup.

Performance Sport Ohlins or FPX will allow you to lower the car more. It *is* possible to lower the car further with the GT kits, simply remove 1 lock ring, 2 lock rings, or one lock ring and the spring perch itself (and leave one lower lock ring at the bottom). We have designed our lock rings to actually center the 65mm spring at its lowest point and designed the base of the spring adjuster to take the load of the spring directly (centered on our bespoke lock ring) to lower the car even further.

But, the suspension has been specifically designed like this to make a conscious effort to lower the car further than simply the lowest point of the spring perch, and here's why: As we lower the car we get closer and closer to the bump stop at static (i.e. less stroke available to take up each bump). Rear passenger weight also reduces the stroke before hitting the bumpstop. We have different rear spring rates which decrease in length as they increase in rate (GT, Performance Sport, HPDE, etc) to keep the same relative height at roughly the same spring perch position as it takes the weight of the car into account... a stiffer spring compresses less with the weight of the car so it can be shorter. The issue comes in when customers want a LOW Grand Touring kit with soft springs... a softer spring takes more linear distance to take up the same bump, versus a stiffer spring. Since we are throwing away compression stroke as we go lower, we are more likely hit the bumpstops with softer springs. Low and Soft are opposing desires for suspension and there is a reasonable limit/balance here that we have to strike... a soft spring rate that is very low will be on the bump stops more often - decreasing the ride quality. If you want a significant drop (more than an inch) most customers would be happier with a bit stiffer spring to prevent hitting the bump stops - the overall ride quality will be better to take up that bump more quickly. We can talk about more of the specifics and theory if anyone is interested... but the general recommendation is, if you want to be (very) low, we recommend a stiffer spring.

Are the Model 3 FPX kits in stock?
Yes sir! Back in stock with our *NEW* Forged front fork... lighter and stronger! All Redwood-Ohlins versions and FPX come with our new forged front fork! FPX GT for Model 3 and Y are in stock now, in preparation for Black Friday. Use code BLACKFRIDAY23 at checkout, first come first serve for in stock kits.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
THIS JUST IN!

For those interested in NOT lowering your Model 3/Y, we now have DAMPER ONLY versions of our FPX and Redwood-Ohlins Long-Stroke kits! These include front spring adapters, instead of front and rear replacement springs, in order to reuse your factory springs in conjunction with the benefits of our custom Redwood-Ohlins and Redwood-FPX adjustable Grand Touring (GT) dampers - for a more affordable price, and more affordable install as it takes less labor to install and setup (no front spring height adjustment, and no removal of the rear spring). Since these use the same components from our FPX and Ohlins Long-Stroke kits, they can also be *upgraded* to full coilovers at a later date!

In addition, all kits (including full coilover kits) come with our *new and improved* one piece FULLY FORGED lower forks - stronger, and lighter than our previous version!

THIS JUST IN!

For those interested in NOT lowering your Model 3/Y, we now have DAMPER ONLY versions of our FPX and Redwood-Ohlins Long-Stroke kits! These include front spring adapters, instead of front and rear replacement springs, in order to reuse your factory springs in conjunction with the benefits of our custom Redwood-Ohlins and Redwood-FPX adjustable Grand Touring (GT) dampers - for a more affordable price, and more affordable install as it takes less labor to install and setup (no front spring height adjustment, and no removal of the rear spring). Since these use the same components from our FPX and Ohlins Long-Stroke kits, they can also be *upgraded* to full coilovers at a later date!

In addition, all kits (including full coilover kits) come with our *new and improved* one piece FULLY FORGED lower forks - stronger, and lighter than our previous version!

@RedwoodMotors whats the different between the OEM springs and the Redwood springs? Any rate different?