Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front suspension clunking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now both sides of mine have started clunking and replacing the lower rear compression arm fixed it. Drivers side 6 months ago and now the passenger. It's the ball joint that attached to the upright, not the rubber bushing which will also tear and start squeaking.

I know everyone's NVH isn't the same root cause, but maybe it will help someone. The compression arm is $165 from Tesla or you can find them for less on Ebay, Rock Auto.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Clearly an issue with temperature. Driving this week....on Tue/Wed/Thur in Nashville it was in the 20s/30s. Lots of clunking on various bumps, etc. Today it was 56 and not a clunk to be heard. So strange.

We also have a Model Y which does not exhibit this issue.
Looks like I found the root cause of my issue. I have Unplugged sway bars installed front and rear. The bushings, at least on the front, are much stiffer than the factory as they should be. When the temperature drops these must get hard as a rock. Temps dropped down in the 20s here in Nashville so I removed the Unplugged front bar last night and put the stock one back on. When out this morning and took a quick spin. No clunking whatsoever.

I'll reinstall the Unplugged front bar in a few weeks after we are past any risk of below 40 temps.

Looks like I found the root cause of my issue. I have Unplugged sway bars installed front and rear. The bushings, at least on the front, are much stiffer than the factory as they should be. When the temperature drops these must get hard as a rock. Temps dropped down in the 20s here in Nashville so I removed the Unplugged front bar last night and put the stock one back on. When out this morning and took a quick spin. No clunking whatsoever.

I'll reinstall the Unplugged front bar in a few weeks after we are past any risk of below 40 temps.
@whenryb How would the stiffness of those bushings cause clunking? That doesn't make sense to me TBH. The bar should be rotating smoothly within the polyurethane bushings. I've had aftermarket sway bars with polyurethane bushings on other cars without any such issue. I drove those cars in freezing weather all winter long, chasing every snowstorm.

Perhaps an end link bolt was just slightly loose, but at warmer temps it snugged up? I'm not sure that last part is realistic or not (the bolt being more snug at warmer temps). As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had a front end chunk on this car from a really big hit (huge missing piece of road) that knocked an end link just slightly loose. I couldn't feel anything loose by hand, but the sway bar would shift under load. This was stock sway bar and stock end links.

What is extremely typical with polyurethane sway bar bushings is they need to be re-lubricated periodically. On those cars where I ran aftermarket sway bars I tried many different kinds of lube and while most of them worked, none lasted. The initial symptom of the lube wearing out was just squeaking though, not clunking.

Reactions: superflyrolla
@whenryb How would the stiffness of those bushings cause clunking? That doesn't make sense to me TBH. The bar should be rotating smoothly within the polyurethane bushings. I've had aftermarket sway bars with polyurethane bushings on other cars without any such issue. I drove those cars in freezing weather all winter long, chasing every snowstorm.

Perhaps an end link bolt was just slightly loose, but at warmer temps it snugged up? I'm not sure that last part is realistic or not (the bolt being more snug at warmer temps). As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had a front end chunk on this car from a really big hit (huge missing piece of road) that knocked an end link just slightly loose. I couldn't feel anything loose by hand, but the sway bar would shift under load. This was stock sway bar and stock end links.

What is extremely typical with polyurethane sway bar bushings is they need to be re-lubricated periodically. On those cars where I ran aftermarket sway bars I tried many different kinds of lube and while most of them worked, none lasted. The initial symptom of the lube wearing out was just squeaking though, not clunking.
I did check the mounting bolts on the sway bar prior to removing and they were tight. I also replaced the sway bar end links with adjustable ones from Unplugged as I was chasing the noise. They were installed, all tight and did not resolve the issue. Removing the bar did resolve it.

I'm with tm1v2 on this one. Sounds like you had a loose end link or maybe you have one of the earlier vintage Unplugged sway bars that contacts the control arm? It's great when you can turn off/on the problem though! On the right track.

Last edited:
Now both sides of mine have started clunking and replacing the lower rear compression arm fixed it. Drivers side 6 months ago and now the passenger. It's the ball joint that attached to the upright, not the rubber bushing which will also tear and start squeaking.

I know everyone's NVH isn't the same root cause, but maybe it will help someone. The compression arm is $165 from Tesla or you can find them for less on Ebay, Rock Auto.
Would that be these parts?
FR LWR COMP LINK ASSY, 0.975 KN/MM, LEFT HAND 1044354-00-A
FR LWR COMP LINK ASSY, 0.975 KN/MM, RH 1044359-00-A
I have my car booked at the SC to figure out the problem.
I have tipped them of the front driveshafts, but maybe I should request these parts instead.
Still in waranty so should not be a problem

Awesome. I read the whole discussion hoping that in the next post I would find the solution. Instead nothing. It's not possible for this noise to be “normal” as Tesla says. Any new car, even under 20k doesn't make that noise. Is it possible that we can't find a solution? Is it possible that Tesla can give a damn about all these dissatisfied customers?

I just returned from the Chelmsford (UK) SC as this noise has been getting progressively worse in the last 6 months, car has done 40k. Cheeky buggers tried to charge me £160 diagnostics fee even when they heard the noise themselves. They removed the charges after I said I've been to the SC 11 times in 3(ish) years for faults.
My noise is when dropping off flat style speed bumps. As expected they don't know what the issue is. They want to have it in for extended diagnostics... No chance. Who knows what the car will be like in another 3 years... 😔

its the upper strut mount, a known Problem, KW investigated because costumers complained about noise after installation of their coilovers , they found the original strut mount to be the source and designed a solution:

often the noise comes with temperature drop and goes away after some driving when components warm up.

Last edited:
its the upper strut mount, a known Problem, KW investigated because costumers complained about noise after installation of their coilovers , they found the original strut mount to be the source and designed a solution:

often the noise comes with temperature drop and goes away after some driving when components warm up.

Mine is certainly louder / more obvious with the MPP coilovers (I swapped back and forth to check - just for fun).

But, do you have any supporting information or data to back this statement up? Not that I don't believe you - I checked or changed everything but the part you link to.

I gave up with playing 'part darts' and just turn up the stereo. That said, I'll be happy to try these, but would like others to corroborate positive results....

I gave up with playing 'part darts' and just turn up the stereo.
Is this you? :oops:

1699540152268.png

I found the info on the tff forum germany, a company called Reifen Reber is or was in direct contact with KW because of complaints from his customers, he also cut the original mount in half and explained why these can make the sound.

My M3 has the clunking sound, all 3 controll arms are new, dampers are new TEIN, only the mount is original, i drove with the chassis mics and i also belive its the mounts.
The sound is only noticeable under about 40 mph.

i ordered a set from KW and will post a update after installation.

here is the thread, i have the same clunking noise like in the videos
in post 78 reber talks about the prototype testing with KW
and in 93 about how the mounts solved the noise with the original dampers and the coilovers.

Last edited: