Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front suspension clunking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a similar rattle/clunk coming from my front left, here's a video where you can really here it when driving over some cobblestones (beginning and end of video):
Since i have quite a few aftermarket components, Tesla is pretty much useless for troubleshooting or repairing and this is definitely getting annoying. What's interested is that this got MUCH worse after a recent alignment. Also noticing others comment that this gets better/worse after the car sits idle for some period. My guess is that its either worn ball joints or the bushings like @superflyrolla mentioned.

Anyone else experience this and find a fix?
It's been about a week since I've had UPP coilovers installed and now all of a sudden I have the same noise coming from the front passenger side.
I hope you've found a solution by now and could share it since this is an old post.

It's been about a week since I've had UPP coilovers installed and now all of a sudden I have the same noise coming from the front passenger side.
I hope you've found a solution by now and could share it since this is an old post.

My coilover was blown and needed to be rebuild, it's currently at UP going through that though this reminds me I need to check in on them as it's been a while!

I'm back to riding on stock shocks and springs and the car is silent again. What's crazy is that i've had a bit of a clunk for ages since getting these installed and I think they may have been damaged the whole time o_O

For what it's worth, I had a nice loud clunk recently that turned out to be from a loose endlink bolt. Not loose enough to see or feel just poking around under the car, but it would shift under load.

I know exactly which road knocked it loose. Was not a soft hit! o_O

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Hi Everyone,

Ive had my model 3 SR+ for about two weeks now, as soon as i took delivery i noticed there was a clunking noise coning from the front right hand corner, it seems to be mainly on moderate bumps or speed bumps. I have taken the car back and the guy and the service centre claims its a "characteristic of the car".

Not happy with this answer i went off to the showroom and asked if i could borrow another model 3 for comparison and as expected, no noise from the demo car. Has anyone else encountered this issue with the front suspension knocking, it sounds very much like a faulty damper or ball joint worn.

Motorway driving is fine but side roads with bumps and pot holes a nightmare.

I tried to take a video but the phone mic wouldn't pick up the noise clearly enough sorry.

Not what you would expect from a brand new car. Anyone's experiences and hopefully resolutions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I've had the same issue but on the left front wheel and my car has only 1,000 miles. I went to check it twice to the Tesla service and the answer I got was:

Tech Diagnosed and Test drove vehicle. Verified customer concern. Found that there is a clunk / thunk noise coming from the front drive-unit when the accelerator pedal is modulated in a way the vehicle accelerates and decelerates very quickly. This causes the torque on the drive-unit to change direction rapidly. When the torque changes direction quickly, this could create an audible thunk / clicking noise coming from the gear lash of the drive-unit also known as backlash. This noise is to be expected and is considered normal. Compared this vehicle with others in the fleet with similar vin model 3's and found that same to be happening. This is expected behavior. No repairs performed at this time. No further action required at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: DFW_MVP
Yes, we've been hearing the same old drivetrain backlash story for years now.
If thats the issue for a certain group of cars - its certainly sad and wrong Tesla assume this to be normal/within spec - its not.

Many Model 3s/Ys of all trim and motor configurations and across the globe (in terms of point of origin, manufacture) do not exhibit this behavior - new or at 30, 50, 100K miles.

However, just as the axle nuts, half-shaft splines, FUCAs, worn LCA bushings, etc are not the only cause of upfront suspension clunks on these cars, so too can they be caused by many other things - including steering column, steering rack (there are v1s and v2s), FSB bushings, brackets, endless array of bolts and nuts that can come loose or not be torqued to spec from the factory.

The Model 3 suspension setup is sadly an early-gen attempt at an EV suspension - still mostly a passenger-grade ICE derivative. The industry has to go through at least another 10-15 years of product until instant torque and truck-level GCW of a compact EV is matched with decent suspension solutions.

• Informative
Reactions: DFW_MVP
I've had the same issue but on the left front wheel and my car has only 1,000 miles. I went to check it twice to the Tesla service and the answer I got was:

Tech Diagnosed and Test drove vehicle. Verified customer concern. Found that there is a clunk / thunk noise coming from the front drive-unit when the accelerator pedal is modulated in a way the vehicle accelerates and decelerates very quickly. This causes the torque on the drive-unit to change direction rapidly. When the torque changes direction quickly, this could create an audible thunk / clicking noise coming from the gear lash of the drive-unit also known as backlash. This noise is to be expected and is considered normal. Compared this vehicle with others in the fleet with similar vin model 3's and found that same to be happening. This is expected behavior. No repairs performed at this time. No further action required at this time.
@Jurgen18 Whoa. Glad they at least acknowledge the problem, but that answer is unacceptable. Gear lash that you can feel or even hear IS a thing, on some cars, but never on a Tesla in my experience!

Extremely smooth, extremely low friction operation of the direct drive unit has been a hallmark of every Tesla since the original Model S at least. (Probably the Roadster too but I haven't driven any.) I have an OG January 2013 Model S P85 (single motor RWD), a 2021 Model 3 Performance (dual motor AWD), and I've driven many other Model S over the years, single and dual motors, as well as three other Model 3's including an early RWD, as well as a Model Y dual motor. I never felt or heard any noticeable gear lash from any of them! Butter smooth drivetrains always. And I drive my cars pretty hard/fast at times - "accelerate and decelerate very quickly" is something I've done plenty of, especially the Model 3. :)

Heck, even when the rear drive unit on a P85D failed on me, the car still drove smoothly afterwards using only the front motor. Front motor whine was pretty loud on those early dual motor Model S, so driving on the front motor only was especially loud, but still no gear lash issues!

Edit: Having gear lash clunk on a single speed, direct drive EV doesn't make any sense to me. As I understand it there are no gears that disengage or reengage, it's basically just a simple open differential in there. There is zero reason for a basic open diff to have loose tolerances that would result in anything resembling gear lash. Plus I imagine gear lash would be bad for efficiency, that's wasted energy going to the clunk. I bet the cars Tesla did their EPA testing with did not have such gear lash.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbecks13
I've got a similar rattle/clunk coming from my front left, here's a video where you can really here it when driving over some cobblestones (beginning and end of video):
Since i have quite a few aftermarket components, Tesla is pretty much useless for troubleshooting or repairing and this is definitely getting annoying. What's interested is that this got MUCH worse after a recent alignment. Also noticing others comment that this gets better/worse after the car sits idle for some period. My guess is that its either worn ball joints or the bushings like @superflyrolla mentioned.

Not sure if you got this repaired, but i had this problem before when changing my springs to lowered springs and there was a loose bolt at the top of the strut. This has to be torqued down very tightly otherwise your suspension will knock around just like this.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2

Is the left driver headlight. Try tap the top of fender near the headlight you hear the deep noise and you can hear the loud noise of headlights rattle in the cabin

Have an appoint for the 2nd time on my '22.
1st time, couldn't hear the noise with a tech (under 2k miles).
Installed MPP coilovers, didn't help the clunk. Over time it is now louder and both sides (just under 10K miles).
Going to remove the front coilovers and put back to stock (%^##@) and raise the rear before the visit.

Have an appoint for the 2nd time on my '22.
1st time, couldn't hear the noise with a tech (under 2k miles).
Installed MPP coilovers, didn't help the clunk. Over time it is now louder and both sides (just under 10K miles).
Going to remove the front coilovers and put back to stock (%^##@) and raise the rear before the visit.

Could be something minor like a bushing or control arm wearing out, but maybe stick your head under your car and ensure it isn't the lower control arm bolts themselves coming loose like discussed in this thread (and happened to me with aftermarket coilovers): 2021 Model 3 Tire Fell Off - Get your bolts checked ASAP

Could be something minor like a bushing or control arm wearing out, but maybe stick your head under your car and ensure it isn't the lower control arm bolts themselves coming loose like discussed in this thread (and happened to me with aftermarket coilovers): 2021 Model 3 Tire Fell Off - Get your bolts checked ASAP
Checked all bolts and torqued to spec (2x). I (myself) installed the coilovers, as the noise was not common and figured it may be the dampers/mounts for them/etc.
It wasn't, but I will re-install the MPP coilovers once the suspension is clunk free (makes the car drive like it should!)
Mine has done this from new, thus I want to make them fix it (defective parts from day one).

Reactions: kbecks13
Checking here to see if anyone has updates. My 2022 M3P recently developed the clunking noise. Front left. Seems worse in cold weather (sub 40). I have lowering springs and sway bars. Replaced the sway bar links but that did not solve the issue. I have checked everything and all is tight.

May try new aftermarket control arms next.

Checking here to see if anyone has updates. My 2022 M3P recently developed the clunking noise. Front left. Seems worse in cold weather (sub 40). I have lowering springs and sway bars. Replaced the sway bar links but that did not solve the issue. I have checked everything and all is tight.

May try new aftermarket control arms next.
Mine is MUCH worse in the cold below 60. In the summer the sound went away. I’ve replaced the upper and lower control arms, swatbar endlink, and compression arm. I’m on MPP coils and everything has been checked for torque. Tesla had it for two days and couldn’t figure it out. It literally sounds like the wheel is going to become unattached.

Reactions: whenryb
Ok. I seem to having this highly annoying issue on my China late 2022 Model Y performance too. I have wrecked my head trying to solve this issue and the only thing I can now think of is an intolerance / slack in the front drive train or drive train to CV joint.

Bad quality 1 speed gear box? Does it even have one?!

Mine is MUCH worse in the cold below 60. In the summer the sound went away. I’ve replaced the upper and lower control arms, swatbar endlink, and compression arm. I’m on MPP coils and everything has been checked for torque. Tesla had it for two days and couldn’t figure it out. It literally sounds like the wheel is going to become unattached.

@Ucsbshawn Any updates from Tesla Service?