TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Frunk Daily Users: Dent Issue?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Dre78, Apr 26, 2019.

?

For those that use Model 3 Frunk on nearly daily basis, do you have a dent/crease?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Dre78

Dre78 Supporting Member

Given Model S issues regarding Frunk: Frunk Dent (Frustrating...) I was wondering if the Frunk dent (or Frunk crease) is an issue with Model 3? Has it been addressed somehow?

Do those Model 3 owners that use Frunk daily have the same problem as Model S owners? (Do new Model S owners still have this issue?)

2. spleck

spleck Member

They warned me right up front about how to gingerly two-handed close the frunk so I've always done that, but have to keep a cleaning cloth handy since it definitely leaves prints constantly...

• Like x 1
  3. buyehara

buyehara Member

Yes, I originally thought for the Model 3 I could do a one-handed close by pressing the Tesla logo, but the manual recommends using two hands next to the Tesla logo, NOT on the logo. It can be a bit of a pain if you only have one hand available to close the frunk.

4. reheat

reheat Member

I don't use it everyday but do use it when I take out food. I use the two hands methods and haven't encountered any issue.

5. buyehara

buyehara Member

same here, usually use if for take out food, it does not smell up the inside of the car!

6. Dre78

Dre78 Supporting Member

i1Tesla has the solution! Reduced spring tension

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. Bobbo8

Bobbo8 Member

Great fix! Where can I get the springs?

8. BulletToothWoo

They look a lot like the springs used to hold down the bridge on an electric guitar. Wonder if you could use ones you buy from guitar center?

9. v8eater

v8eater Member

I tried to order via his link but they are out of stock. I’m headed to my local HD. I think they have one. I’ll let everyone know if it works.

• Like x 1
  10. mcorf

mcorf Member

Sounds good.

11. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

Hey v8. At HD, how do you know which spring to get? Did you take out the stock spring, get one the same length but lower tension? This sounds like a great way to easily close the frunk.

12. v8eater

v8eater Member

I just matched it with the one he linked. Making dinner currently. I’ll go out and install after and provide feedback and the stock number etc.

13. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

This looks interesting, but I guess there must be a reason why Tesla used a stronger spring?

14. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

Thanks v8 you’re awesome. Enjoy dinner.

15. v8eater

v8eater Member

• Informative x 1
  16. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

• Love x 1
  17. Tron 3

Tron 3 Member

I took the spring out, clamped the hook on one end in a vice and heated the spring with a propane torch (just enough that water would sizzle, but hot enough that it would burn you instantly if you touched it), and then quenched it with a wet towel. Effectively "Drawing a temper" on the metal, softening it slightly so the spring stretches a little easier.

"Tempering" is when after hardening the carbon steel it is reheated to draw off a degree of the hardening. Now the spring is the original dimension but slightly softer. I reinstalled it with my fingers, where it took pliers to get it off. I can now push the hood latched a noticeably easier, and with one hand - not getting close to bending the sheet aluminum. ;)

I feel better having a stronger spring than the lighter gauge one he replaced the original with.

• Informative x 3
  18. KenC

KenC Member

It's a screen door replacement spring. You can pick up a replacement at HD, or other DIY center. Like hcd, I've ordered one at my local HD, for pickup after mom's brunch tomorrow.

Perfect timing, as I just put PPF on my hood, so I'll be using my frunk a lot more now. The smelly lacrosse equipment is going to go in there, gloves, cleats, socks...

• Like x 1
  19. KenC

KenC Member

Just installed the screendoor replacement spring that I got at HD. It's the best hack ever. Now, the frunk opens and it doesn't sound like an explosion, and it closes so easily, no more fear of bending anything.

• Like x 2
  20. MoHazee4

MoHazee4 M3 LRD

It really annoys me every time I use the frunk....on my brand new car....I have to be super careful about closing something designed to be opened & closed.