Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Gaps Oh My...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, very few of the panels are properly aligned. The hood and trunk fitment is just horrible. Looking at the VIN, looks like this may be #74 (hard to read, but looks like it reads 5YJ3AE21?5B00074)

Interesting how the 3rd break light was not included in the defroster matrix.
I'm sorry, but these 19's just do not fill in the wheel wells. On top of that, it looks like these RC cars are raised another inch or maybe even more compared to the alphas. These two changes for me, dulls the once aggressive look and is back to a bland commuter car..
But, looks like a 235/40R19 vs the 235/35R20

Looks like a good aftermarket opportunity to recreate the alpha release candidate carbon fiber center wheel caps. These look like plastic.

Reactions: gowthamn
I don't know, it seems like that makes it even worse. Come on man, spend a few hours and tighten that up, looks really bad. I had to get my 2016 S fixed up and the left rear bumper is still messed up. They really need to figure this shti out.

I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over this. This is a fairly standard steel body car. They just need to work out the tweaks in the stamping tooling and the weld processes. That's a normal process, but it does take a bit of time.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Tanquen
I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over this. This is a fairly standard steel body car. They just need to work out the tweaks in the stamping tooling and the weld processes. That's a standard process, but it does take a bit of time.
Well my mid 2016 wasn't the first S off the line. Fingers crossed but I'm not taking delivery this time around with promises of fixing stuff later.

Reactions: ikjadoon
Well my mid 2016 wasn't the first S off the line. Fingers crossed but I'm not taking delivery this time around with promises of fixing stuff later.

The S is an aluminum car. Aluminum is light but a headache to work with. It has more memory, doesn't form as consistently and deforms badly when welding.

The S is a steel car. It's much easier to form consistently and so they can reduce the size of the gaps.

Much improved on this RC. Especially the trunk.

Attachments

• IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    487.5 KB · Views: 119
Yawn. These same complaints happened with the X RCs.

But the X really isn't the best example for Tesla resolving those issues, after the production cars came out.

It will certainly be a lot better than those RCs, but I fear there will still be issues. Maybe with the Model Y Tesla will finally take some time, to deliver a finished vehicle upon release.

It would certainly fit Elon's narrative about the Y being the true Model 3. Alien dreadnought, simplicity and whatnot.

But the X really isn't the best example for Tesla resolving those issues, after the production cars came out.

It will certainly be a lot better than those RCs, but I fear there will still be issues. Maybe with the Model Y Tesla will finally take some time, to deliver a finished vehicle upon release.

It would certainly fit Elon's narrative about the Y being the true Model 3. Alien dreadnought, simplicity and whatnot.

They aren't a traditional automaker.

I'm one of the people who slept on concrete for a Model 3. I expect there to be issues, and I'm OK with it because I would rather take Tesla's advantages and flaws as a package than any other automaker. Teslas aren't perfect at release, but unlike other automakers after a few years you'll own a vastly superior car than what you bought thanks to new part iterations from any defective items replaced under warranty, OTA software updates, and ongoing benefits with charging and service.

People who are uncomfortable with Tesla's hiccups should go to a Toyota. You'll get a car without issues, but it'll never improve and you have to go through the crappy dealer experience while owning the vehicle.

Ernie: "Hey Bert! Make sure those panel gaps on that RC are utterly perfect for the TMC fanbois even though the car is slated to be crushed in 6 weeks! Who cares that we are under a terrible time crunch and have only 3 weeks to get the line up and running for the production cars!"

Bert: "Ernie's car is going to get panel gaps to put a 86 Yugo to shame!" :mad:

A supposed contractor who was working at the Fremont factory said that all the cars we've seen were hand-assembled.

Another white Model 3 being unloaded at Tesla headquarters. Source: https://instagram.com/p/BUfOLylhEOU/ • r/teslamotors

He's since deleted his comment & account. Just see the whole thread; the M3OC founder also says his sources say all the cars through June are hand-assembled.

This lines up with the also-deleted Teslarati article stating that even the battery packs were being hand-assembled.

EXCLUSIVE: Tesla Model 3 battery pack details, Musk approves ...

-----

But, I fully expect panel gaps on even the July customer deliveries. If there aren't, it'll be a nice surprise.

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz

I'm one of the people who slept on concrete for a Model 3. I expect there to be issues, and I'm OK with it because I would rather take Tesla's advantages and flaws as a package than any other automaker. Teslas aren't perfect at release, but unlike other automakers after a few years you'll own a vastly superior car than what you bought thanks to new part iterations from any defective items replaced under warranty, OTA software updates, and ongoing benefits with charging and service.

People who are uncomfortable with Tesla's hiccups should go to a Toyota. You'll get a car without issues, but it'll never improve and you have to go through the crappy dealer experience while owning the vehicle.

You are far braver than I! As bad as I want the car, I'll be waiting for the AWD performance model... not only because I have a need4speed, more importantly, I'd love for all of the bugs to be worked out before I drop that kind of money.

You are far braver than I! As bad as I want the car, I'll be waiting for the AWD performance model... not only because I have a need4speed, more importantly, I'd love for all of the bugs to be worked out before I drop that kind of money.

I've spent lots of money on a S and I am happy with it. But I still don't understand why I have to choose between a crappy dealer experience and "hiccups". Wouldn't it be truly revolutionary to build the car with no hiccups and no crappy dealer?

I mean I do understand why they do it. It saves a good bunch of money and since Tesla seriously needs the Model 3 they might be tempted to take some shortcuts. I just hope those shortcuts won't damage the company I am financially, but much more emotionally, invested.

Reactions: shrspeedblade