Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 glass roof failing - do others have this issue ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was a little dusty, so I traced the crack with my finger on day 1, and looking today, it seems like it's about 2" longer.

I'm not worried, I don't feel anything inside, so I'm sure if Tesla gets it in next week I'll be good.
It’s laminate glass. There are two layers. You should be ok. I had 3 lines cracking. Each was about 12” long. Tesla Service will take care if you.

• Disagree
Reactions: C141medic
I wander if this got corrected with newer builds, anyone with higher VIN# has this problem?

The cracked roof glass can happen on a higher VIN: 17xxx also in a pattern the same as the Tesla logo... Model3_CrackedRoof.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I have a Model 3, in the 3000 VIN range, which I purchased in January. Apart from a brake light moisture issue which was fixed in 3 days, until one week ago I was quite happy with the car. That was when I noticed that a foot wide and foot high series of cracks in a shape vaguely like that of the Tesla logo had appeared in the front and center of the glass roof. The car is kept in a garage at home and at work and there have been no impacts on the roof. I contacted the local Tesla service center and was told they needed to order the replacement part and would let me know when it came in. After a week, I contacted them again to ask how long it would be to fix it. I was then told that I would need to wait an additional 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile over the week the cracks have spread by another 8 inches on both sides and are much deeper. Soon the entire front third of the glass roof looks like it is going to crack. I then offered to bring the car in for inspection so they can see how big the issue is (photographs do not show the problem very well). I also think they should investigate it in case this is a manufacturing issue that only shows up after 4 months, when the car has been exposed to heat and cold (the car is not in California). They agreed to look at it and I brought the car in today to my local Tesla Service Center.

Today, a Tesla service center person looked at the cracking and agreed that it was stress cracking and not due to an impact. The front two inches of the glass roof overlap with metal and he noticed that there was a very deep crack in that area which I had previously not noticed as it is not visible from inside the car. He told me not to worry --- that the roof was laminated glass and the roof would not break and was still waterproof. That said, he then decided to tape the deep crack with cellophane tape "to keep the air out". And when I again asked about how soon they would replace the roof, he told me that I will still going to have to wait a month or two because he can't get the part soon. I am one day of ground shipping away from California and surely there is a warehouse of glass roofs in Fremont, waiting to be used for new Model 3's.

If the roof cracks continue to extend, in a week or so, I am not sure the car will still be driveable since I am not willing to risk driving a car in the rain with 1/3 of the glass roof badly cracked and there already is what looks like could be an actual hole above the front metal part of the roof. Plus if the Tesla Service person is taping a part of the glass roof, I take that as a bad sign.

I do not think this failure of the glass roof in a new car (from stress cracking, ie a manufacturing or parts problem) is being addressed in a professional manner because the issue deserves immediate repair not what could be a 2 month delay. There are very few Model 3's that are 4 months old so there can't be many service issues yet so it is hard to understand why I am being put off by the Tesla Service Center. It was my idea to drive to the Service Center --- it has been hard to get their attention on this issue.

I would like suggestions on what to do and whether any other Model 3 owner has seen this problem yet.

My model 3 also developed a crack yesterday. Was delivered end of may 2018. Many cracks starting in the middle of the front top roof at the front edge and expanding rearward. No impact that I know of. I also had the same left rear taillight full of water issue and also much water in the rear lower trunk. Every time it rains or I wash the car, the lower part of the trunk gets a lot of water in it. I would recommend that all Model 3 owners check the trunk by pushing down on the lining in the bottom of the trunk. I vacuumed over a half gallon of water after the last rain. Can't get it all up, but just do what I can. Worried about mold. It has been wet since delivery as it rained really hard on the way home from delivery and that is when the taillight got moisture in it also. I hope everyone checks their trunk. I don't know what is underneath the liner that could rust, corrode, or be damaged over time. Wish I knew how to remove the liner to dry out thoroughly and check it out. Going in for repairs next week.

My Tesla 3 has just happened too on a higher VIN 03xxxx and also in a pattern the same as the Tesla logo and the same spot as SB_NRG has. LOL. Called the Tesla service yesterday and waiting for their response.
delivery of tesla 3 mid August, 6 weeks later rear panel ( window ) cracked first 2 inches, next morning 2, 3 feet all across rear section.
Tesla response at dedham: nothing to do with Tesla go to your insurance ... not cool.
No impact, no sign of impact, must be stress fracture