Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Glass Roof Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of doing this too. I am wondering how your roof wrap aged?
I am assuming you did it in two separated pieces. Is that right? For a model 3 I am thinking that the front piece is about 48 inches wide by 33 inches long? What were the dimensions of your back piece of vinyl? Was it clear where to choose the end point at the rear? Was it tricky to cut that right on the glass?

Did you use 3M 2080 Vinyl?

I am thinking of doing this too. I am wondering how your roof wrap aged?
I am assuming you did it in two separated pieces. Is that right? For a model 3 I am thinking that the front piece is about 48 inches wide by 33 inches long? What were the dimensions of your back piece of vinyl? Was it clear where to choose the end point at the rear? Was it tricky to cut that right on the glass?

Did you use 3M 2080 Vinyl?
I had my roof done with Suntek CIR (their ceramic) in August 2019 (I have 72,000+ on my car) and have had no issues. If you are looking for longevity, go with ceramic.

Reactions: ODWms and JaxonDM
giphy.gif

Great idea. I think the mandatory panoramic roof is one of the main drawbacks for me. I dislike the heat and being aware of albedo and heat rejection basics of colors, having black for a car's roof is one of the worst choices if you live in a hot climate. With certain whites, you can get nearly 100% heat rejection of visible light. Do I need glass roof? Not at all. There's rarely ever been a reason why I would ever need to look up. With other cars, the sun roof is only a small area. With a Tesla you're forced to have your entire roof absorb nearly 100% of the heat energy. Tinting or shades help block the light from passing through (onto your skin and interior), but it still doesn't affect the absorption of that heat energy into the glass, which then further radiates throughout the car's interior cabin.

Great idea. I think the mandatory panoramic roof is one of the main drawbacks for me. I dislike the heat and being aware of albedo and heat rejection basics of colors, having black for a car's roof is one of the worst choices if you live in a hot climate. With certain whites, you can get nearly 100% heat rejection of visible light. Do I need glass roof? Not at all. There's rarely ever been a reason why I would ever need to look up. With other cars, the sun roof is only a small area. With a Tesla you're forced to have your entire roof absorb nearly 100% of the heat energy. Tinting or shades help block the light from passing through (onto your skin and interior), but it still doesn't affect the absorption of that heat energy into the glass, which then further radiates throughout the car's interior cabin.

all roofs absorb 100% of the heat energy. With the exception of perhaps reflective colours or reflective tints - latter illegal in many countries.