Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Gripes 2 Months later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should provide an optional FOB for model 3. The issue here is NOT Tesla's SW or bluetooth. It is about how the bluetooth implementation is on both Android and iPhones. The phone needs to save power, so they do NOT have the bluetooth radio advertising all the time its presence. It is dynamically managed by the OS in the phone and it decides when to broadcast the bluetooth services of the phone. The car's BT radio is always on scanning to see if a known BT advertiser (your phone) is around and then unlock the car.

These varies from phone to phone and from OS to OS version in the phones, to give you an example sometimes on iOS there can be lapses of 30s or more with the BT radio not advertising its ID making it impossible for the car to detect the presence.

I have developed bluetooth proximity applications and know how this works, it is documented on both Android and iOS developer guides. As the battery of your phone gets lower the power management policies become more aggressive and bluetooth is not advertising for longer periods of time.

Tesla knows this, and still they chose to use this as the primary method to unlock the vehicle. From an App perspective you can't override the phone OS bluetooth power policy when the App is in the background. When it is on the foreground (app open) your car will unlock easier (because the App now has full control of the BT radio on the phone) but when the phone is in your pocket (App in background mode) the phone OS has to arbitrate the use of the BT radio based on all the services requested by all BT apps in your phone (Tesla app being just one of them). This is how phone OSs work so you do not burn battery as BT will be advertising its ID too often.

So, give us the option of an FOB like in the model S. Also heard phone auto unlock is coming on Model S at some point.
Please post this on the phone key issue
The polls regarding fob and anything regarding this issue.
Thank u and thank u for an explanation of why and not people thinking they know why.

There are many people who use the phone app as their primary key for a Model S/X and use the fob as an emergency backup.

Yes, those are the people frequently locked out of their car when they lose cell reception and frantically post on here looking for solutions (duh, call your significant other or whomever has the keyfob to come get you). Calling Tesla because you were too irresponsible to carry about a little keyfob is why Tesla customer service is always overloaded...

I never use my phone as my primary key. Its such a PITA even with fingerprint authentication as compared to a keyfob that automagically extends door handles and allows me to press the brake and select a gear and go.

That is the single coolest feature most people see about my S (the door handles and how quickly I can get in buckle and go).

Yes, those are the people frequently locked out of their car when they lose cell reception and frantically post on here looking for solutions (duh, call your significant other or whomever has the keyfob to come get you). Calling Tesla because you were too irresponsible to carry about a little keyfob is why Tesla customer service is always overloaded...

I never use my phone as my primary key. Its such a PITA even with fingerprint authentication as compared to a keyfob that automagically extends door handles and allows me to press the brake and select a gear and go.

That is the single coolest feature most people see about my S (the door handles and how quickly I can get in buckle and go).

A couple of simple questions for you. No negative tone implied.
Have you ever lost your wallet before? How about losing your keys?

For clarity, I'm very happy with my car and don't regret the purchase just wanted to summarize everything from a new Tesla users perspective since most reviews even from independent 3rd party companies I've found come from previous Tesla owners or "people that drink the kool-aid". I say that as no offense but just mean people that stand by the brand as described in quote below. I plan to make a reverse post about all the things I really like about the car too which I think at least some are rarely mentioned.

I believe you did right by talking about your experience with your TM3. It helps people like me figure out what may be a fix to a problem instead of contacting Tesla which I think are overwhelmed with work right now. For example, I have a problem with using my Android phone as a key. I tried fixing it with a Tesla adviser when I received delivery of my car but to no avail. She has other customers to attend to so recommends I call their service center. I tried turning on the airplane mode but I would lose wifi connection. I tried my son's phone and it worked. So I switched my phone temporarily with my son so I can get the window tinting and a clear bra installation done and then I will call and make an appointment with the service center to get the fix. Please continue to post your observation and constructive criticisms. Thank you.

As a Tesla supporter and owner I would like to respond to your complaints one by one since you have so many issues. Addressing 2 first. When one places a reservation for Model 3, Tesla makes it very clear that you cannot sell or otherwise transfer the reservation. Previous Tesla owners are given priority on the wait list. One priority per Tesla vehicle owned. I am guessing you got your Model 3 early due to using someone else's reservation. This is not allowed. The original reservation holder would have to purchase the car, title it in their name, sell the car to you and retitle it. Only the original buyer would get the tax break. It is you not Tesla that has "made the mistake" and I am surprised that Tesla is allowing you to take ownership without going through the above steps.
Having purchased our first Tesla Model S preowned from a third party I was impressed with how diligent Tesla was in confirming transfer of title to me before they activated my Teslamotors.com account. As some may or not know that account and password allows anyone with access to it to unlock and drive the car with no key fob.
Once again it is you not Tesla in the wrong here. Also since your family member has already used their reservation priority to buy "your" car unless they own more than one Tesla they will not get another priority reservation. They will have to wait in line like anyone else. I hope this sets the facts straight and clarifies this situation.

Reactions: croman
Addressing number 7 wireless phone charging. We have always used iphones so I'm not as familiar with android phones but do understand that they adopted wireless charging long before Apple. The only iphones that can be wirelessly charged are 8 and X. Wireless charging was a feature that many thought was going to be included. My solution has been to use two triangular shaped wireless chargers. They do position the iPhone 8's further forward which required me to foam tape a small strip of wood to bottom plastic piece that slides off. This prevents the phones from falling down. Works and looks great. All the compartment doors close no problem. Total cost - $26 for both. You could do one side only and leave other side for phones that need wired connection. I find wireless charging to be super convenient.

Two more 5 and 9

5 floor mats first of all they are carpeted and came with the car, something I don't think I've seen before. No extra charge just included. Thanks. I have not found them to be dirt magnet but since we have dog whose hair sticks to shoes and winds up on mats I take the mats out periodically and use a floor vacuum to clear them. The underside of the mats is made of some interesting material that "sticks" to underlying carpet and prevents skating, It is not sticky per se.

9 AP specifically auto lane change
Auto lane change takes a little getting used to so I advise turning it off to gain AP experience. AP is meant for freeway use with clear lane lines and not lots of turns.
When auto lane change is off and you want to change lanes, you put on turn signal, visually check for opening, then turn the wheel to change lanes, you will hear AP disengage as you have taken control. When in new lane reactivate AP.
With AP auto lane change on, you check for clearance (car is checking also), turn on turn signal and the car initiates a smooth controlled lane change, the system does one lane at a time and automatically turns off turn signal. One advantage here is AP is not disengaged every time you change lanes. I have found that auto lane change does not work sometimes. A problem with the car? Don't think so, I noticed at such times auto lane change did not work the lane border lines were broken and faded therefore I think the system was doing just what it is supposed to do. That is not doing auto lane change without clear lanes lines.
OMT don't know about summon status but we were able to have Model 3 self park in a straight in slot during a recent road trip. Seeing your car back in by itself is extremely cool and yet slightly unnerving. When not sure just tap brake and it pauses to allow you to recover composure and proceed.

I love it when folks buy the economy version, then complain about minor issues.
OP's car was at least $54K + tax. That's hardly "economy". Mythical, still not shipping yet $35K version is still not "economy" when in the US, there are cars selling for MSRP of under $13K (e.g. Nissan Versa: 2018 Versa | Subcompact Sedan | Nissan USA).

In some developing countries w/low typical incomes, some cars start at MUCH lower prices than that.

Example is Nissan resurrected the Datsun brand for some markets: NISSAN | BRAND & PRODUCTS | Datsun.

The cheapest Datsun in India: New Vehicles | Datsun India starts at 249,999 Rupees. At current rates, per Google, that under $3800 USD. The Tata Nano is even less: GenX Nano Ex- Showroom (On Road) Price in Delhi - Tata GenX Nano Price.

Ages ago, I read about the Dacia Logan. Renault's manual overdrive from 2005 mentions $6,000, built in Romania.

Last edited:
"I love it when folks buy the economy version, then complain about minor issues."

Careful. That could be misinterpreted as something that unfortunate S owner who called the Model 3 forum "the poor folks club" might have said. I'm sure you don't mean that.
Robin

I never got in the habit of this APP key because as we all discovered last weekend and one other time I can recall the App was down.

We didn't discover anything

The app worked flawlessly while the servers were down.

Just because you cannot see your cars status, doesn't mean you cannot pop the frunk. Doesn't mean you cannot jump in and drive. It would really suck if you drove out of cell phone range and couldn't get in and drive back.

Not sure why so many Non-Model 3 owners are posting on this subject. Also not sure why these posts are not being moved to one of the phone key threads.

-Randy

Reactions: Asad1087 and X Fan
one other issue i thought of that I didn't add....

Accidental ear piercing audio. I often listen to things on youtube which requires me to turn volume up. I'll get out of the car and when I get back in I'll want to listen to the radio or stream or whatever. When I turn it the volume is unbearably loud. Would be nice to not just have a master volume but volume controls specific to the the different types of audio.

Agree. This has happened to me numerous times in my 2014 Model S.

One discrepancy in my personal experience has been that both the seats and floormats have been incredibly easy to clean, and it has been quite a muddy spring where I live.

Definitely have loads of problems with Bluetooth. One weird error I run into constantly is that it will let me into the car, but not start driving. My leading theory right now is that this has to do with the phone being in my left pocket, with my body blocking the signal.

My only other gripe is slacker radio. I probably would have found this resource quite amazing--in 2010. But it's 2018, Spotify is miles beyond slacker, and I should be able to play an album in its entirety directly from the screen.

Response from ADAM "Agree on Slacker, I end up playing Spotify from my phone when I want to hear only one artist -- like when my wife asked for Stevie Nicks on a recent drive.

I have enjoyed reading the Bluetooth comments. The only similar grip I have with my fobbed, 2014 Model S, is that the neighborhood TV towers block out the fob. I live in Bethesda and often go to Tenleytown for shopping or health club (Northwest Sport and Health). If i park near the club, when I return to the car, I can't open the door. After a couple of years I created some work arounds.

(1) The fob will always open the trunk from close range in these conditions. I extend my outstretched arm into the car towards the dash and click the fob to get the handles to present. This always works. However. when I get in the car I may get a false "key not not in car" message, which requires me to stroke the fob over the central speaker above the front storage space (above the USB ports and 12 volt outlet). A little witchcraft fixes a high tech problem. Somewhat annoying. If I weren't a true believer I'd probably be pissed. I don't think purchasers of other luxury brands paying $94,000 for a new car (before tax rebates) would be so patient. I just view it as part of the "first mover" phenomenon, and realize that most neighborhoods are probably not so infested with TV towers. Anyway, my car is 2014 technology. Should be getting better, not worse.

(2) I park further away (and it's free street parking there too!).

To update my post #88 I have now switched the wireless chargers for our iphone 8's to Fastpad. These are thinner, look much better and no longer would require adding the wood to prevent the phones falling down. I do miss the pilot light on the clunkier triangular chargers but this is a much better solution. Once again I did replace the Tesla rubber mat on which the phones sit with a piece of black shelf liner to avoid the raised ridge on the supplied mat. OMT I did have a lightning charge port failure on my old iphone 6 that I think might have been due to using the iHome clock radio. This is another advantage to wireless charging as it does not stress the connector. I think Model 3 owners with wireless charging phones will find this very useful.

What??? SERIOUSLY?!?!?

Why in the world would this be??? If it can detect a phone to allow you to open the trunk when you're near the trunk, why not allow you to release the charger cable? :mad::confused::eek::(

I believe with the recent update 18.3 you do not have to do this any more. With the car locked and charger plug connected, I had to unlock my trunk to then unlock the charger port.

With the recent update, with the car locked I can now unlock the charger plug without an additional step. Maybe I am wrong but I have tried it a couple of times over the course of the evening. Please someone else verify this.

Also my trunk opens on the first try. While the car is waking up on phone key app. Before I had to do a double push of the latch to get it opened.

Reactions: Asad1087
I believe with the recent update 18.3 you do not have to do this any more. With the car locked and charger plug connected, I had to unlock my trunk to then unlock the charger port.

With the recent update, with the car locked I can now unlock the charger plug without an additional step. Maybe I am wrong but I have tried it a couple of times over the course of the evening. Please someone else verify this.

Also my trunk opens on the first try. While the car is waking up on phone key app. Before I had to do a double push of the latch to get it opened.

Can anyone verify/dispute this? (That, when the phone key is present and working, you can release the charge connector from the charge port by simply pressing the button on the connector without having to first unlock the doors by pressing on a door handle or trunk button.)

The manual clearly states that this should be doable if the phone key is working (see snippets below), but I've seen other reports from Model 3 owners (and even S owners) that this doesn't work and the car always has to be unlocked BEFORE hitting the button on the charge connector to unplug it.

Model 3 manual, page 109:
"Stopping Charging
Stop charging at any time by disconnecting the charge cable or touching Stop Charging on the touchscreen.
Note: To prevent unauthorized unplugging of the charge cable, Model 3 must be unlocked or able to recognize your authenticated phone before you can disconnect the charge cable."

Model S manual, page 140:
"Stopping Charging
Stop charging at any time by disconnecting the charge cable or touching Stop Charging on the touchscreen. Note: To prevent unauthorized unplugging of the charge cable, Model S must be unlocked or able to recognize your key before you can disconnect the charge cable."

My phone never opens my car, so I'm with you on that one!

But re: wireless charging, the FLAGSHIP Android phone (Pixel 2/XL) doesn't have wireless charging, so it's obvious why they didn't put it in. It's sadly not an industry standard (but I'm assuming now that apple finally added it we'll see it become one, thank god)

Can anyone verify/dispute this? (That, when the phone key is present and working, you can release the charge connector from the charge port by simply pressing the button on the connector without having to first unlock the doors by pressing on a door handle or trunk button.)

Confirmed. Fixed in a recent update. I believe 2018.18.x. I no longer have to click the trunk switch or soft press a door handle before trying to remove the UMC.