TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 headrests too hard?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BlueKam_M3LR, Mar 29, 2020.

1. BlueKam_M3LR

BlueKam_M3LR Member

So I got my Model 3 on 3/13/2020 and I noticed the headrest on the driver side is very hard. It is not nearly as soft as the rear passenger head rests. Hitting my head on the headrest during rapid acceleration doesn't feel great, I expected more padding and just a softer cushion feel to it. It feels almost like a hard rubber. Anyone else notice this?

• Funny x 1
  2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Have you tried Chill Mode? :rolleyes:

• Funny x 2
  3. BlueKam_M3LR

BlueKam_M3LR Member

LOL I am new Tesla owner why would I waste the exhilarating potential of this beast on chill mode? Anyways, I usually have a long work commute and I like to drive with my head against the headrest at all times so the hardness of it is disappointing.

4. gcmak

gcmak Member

Yep its a firm one and like some folks (myself included), you may begin to have neck/upper back pains. The vegan leather may also separate from the padding on the headrest if used frequently. It's not a bad idea to invest in a sort of neck cushion.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Give it a few weeks, your neck muscles will strengthen to compensate.

• Funny x 1
  6. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

• Helpful x 1
  7. Casmium

Casmium Member

Social distancing, let that hair grow out, it's all the cushion you'll need

• Funny x 3
  8. android04

android04 Member

From the first day I drove my Model 3 almost 2 years ago I noticed that every bump transferred to my head through the headrest. So I stopped leaning my head on it and got used to it from the first day. I could see how it might be more difficult for some people to change habit or to even wonder why they should not use the headrest at all.

• Like x 1
  9. jkdman123

jkdman123 Member

There are no headrests in the Model 3. There are head restraints, but no headrests.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
  10. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Funny, today I was just thinking about why the headrests are hard and not soft and squishy like the actual seats

• Like x 1
  11. BuggDDS

BuggDDS Member

I was thinking to protect your head in the rare case of a rollover accident and the glass roof shattering, like a dragster roll cage or something...

• Like x 1
  12. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Lol, was going to say this. Few know the real name for the item that prevents you from getting a broken neck in a rear-ender. Just a shortened form of the actual name.

• Like x 1
  13. jkdman123

jkdman123 Member

CEFE1551-70D5-4E49-BFF5-894B65D90920.jpeg

• Funny x 3